PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question ( not a jetting issue lol )

Newrider08
04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Ok guys,

So when I rejetted my carb I got my throttle cable twisted and in the process of trying to find out why my quad was idling so funky I twisted my idle adjusting screw in until it broke the spring so now I have to adjust it with pliers, I also noticed the previous owner did not put the o-ring gasket back on the side cover and top cover of the carb.

I went to the local Honda dealership to get the gasket set and they sold me a rebuild kit saying that is what I needed when it turns out it just had the o-ring for the float bowl and the jets and moving parts of the carb, I tried to return the kit but they would not let me so I rebuilt the carb. I have not got a gasket set yet so here goes the question.

I have to buy the idle adjust screw and the gasket set which will put me back about 35-40 bucks shipped OR I can buy a 450R carb and go that route then just sell my carb on ebay with the broken idle adjust for about 50 bucks I guess.

Is is a better route to fix what I have or to buy the 450R carb now and do that?

my mods are in my signature, thank you in advance for any advice.

Thanks
Geoff

honda400ex2003
04-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I would say to get the 450 carb since it makes a good improvement in power anyway. If you spent the 40 dollars toward the carb it helps to offset the price of it too. You would need to get a 450 throttle cable and from what I have read the zrpilot adaptor makes the install pretty easy. Steve

Newrider08
04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah I have talked to zrpilot about his adapter and it sounds like a great deal.

I will post an ad and see what I can find in the classifieds section.

I know someone offered me one a while back for 100 bucks shipped, is that a good deal?

Also what year of 450r carb will work?

honda400ex2003
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I think 04 and 05 works best and that is a good deal for 100. ebay you will probably pay over that. I think they are about $159 on service honda if i am not mistaken. steve