PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers good or bad?

Jessem24
04-17-2009, 07:51 AM
i want my 400 to sit wider, since i rde mx but i have no money to invest in a-arms or axles. wheel spacers are affordible tho. but i was wondering if they make your quad weaker in some spots.

jcs003
04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
i would say they put a heavier load on the ball joints and tie rod ends. i know of a couple of guys who turned their wheels around to make it a bit wider until they raised the funds for wider arms.

tri5ron
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Spacers for MX riding is a bad idea.
Trail riding, not too agressive, ok,
but hard riding, and jumps,... no.

bigbad400
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
for the price of those junk spacers you can get the diamond j kit and a g force and be 6 inches wider all over, spacers will eat bearings and they are so bad to use on jumps, your wheel could literally fall off. diamond j kit is like 170 and the g force was like 180 so for 350-400 you could have what you want and be safe about it. i had my quad over 20 ft in the air on stock shocks and the kit held up when my shocks blew out. its strong! spacers would never do that.

honda400ex2003
04-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I would rather see you get the kit for the arms instead of spacers since they put more strain on everything. I would not advise running them for mx at all anyway. for trails the backs would be fine but i would not do the fronts. steve

scuzz
04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
two words:

Bump steer

04-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Here's my view on them, being I actually have a set.

I wanted to widen my 400ex but didn't have money. So I did a crap load of research on different types of spacers, trying to find the best design, and basically one that looks to be strong.

I got an offer of the G-Force +1.5" spacers for the front. The exact style I wanted after doing research. It's a machined piece of I believe billet aluminum, very strong. It bolts on to your hub like a rim, and the spacer has built in studs for the tire. I like this design, because unlike other spacers that basically extend the stock studs:eek2: these are much less stress on the studs since they are separate. I warn you now, stay away from the "ring" type or stud extenders, they are NO GOOD. The stock studs are not designed for all that extra leverage.

Anyway, I bolted them on, and I must say, I like them. Everyone always bashed them but not me.

It's much more stable now, rails around turns, and on small to moderate jumps it lands much smoother. I have yet to see any damage to front end from them, and they've been on for a while now.
All this "bump steer" is a load of crap. Everyone is a drama queen on here. I noticed maybe a HAIR more bump steer, it's barely noticeable. None of my friends even noticed it when they rode it either.

I like them, but the ONLY complaint I have.. is in really loose soil it makes the front push a little more.

I don't know what size jumps you're talking about, but I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider and have no problem with them.:)

hypersnyper6947
04-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I can say that i have ridden a buddies raptor with flipped rims and it had an insane amount of bump steer, and it destroyed the tie rod ends. Dont flip the rims.

Jessem24
04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Here's my view on them, being I actually have a set.

I wanted to widen my 400ex but didn't have money. So I did a crap load of research on different types of spacers, trying to find the best design, and basically one that looks to be strong.

I got an offer of the G-Force +1.5" spacers for the front. The exact style I wanted after doing research. It's a machined piece of I believe billet aluminum, very strong. It bolts on to your hub like a rim, and the spacer has built in studs for the tire. I like this design, because unlike other spacers that basically extend the stock studs:eek2: these are much less stress on the studs since they are separate. I warn you now, stay away from the "ring" type or stud extenders, they are NO GOOD. The stock studs are not designed for all that extra leverage.

Anyway, I bolted them on, and I must say, I like them. Everyone always bashed them but not me.

It's much more stable now, rails around turns, and on small to moderate jumps it lands much smoother. I have yet to see any damage to front end from them, and they've been on for a while now.
All this "bump steer" is a load of crap. Everyone is a drama queen on here. I noticed maybe a HAIR more bump steer, it's barely noticeable. None of my friends even noticed it when they rode it either.

I like them, but the ONLY complaint I have.. is in really loose soil it makes the front push a little more.

I don't know what size jumps you're talking about, but I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider and have no problem with them.:)

Well put! i run local mx tracks here in new york. the biggest iv done is a 80ft table. the quad gets to be eh id guess 10 feet up? i dont want to ruin my front end though. how big were the jumps you did?

04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Jessem24
Well put! i run local mx tracks here in new york. the biggest iv done is a 80ft table. the quad gets to be eh id guess 10 feet up? i dont want to ruin my front end though. how big were the jumps you did?

not huge, but a good 4ft of air in like 4th gear flat landing. And I weight 200+

04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
So if you're getting like 10ft of air, but on a landing ramp, I think you would be fine. Flat landing 10 foot with them would probably break somethin lol