PDA

View Full Version : 450ER Question

wvwoods
04-17-2009, 06:55 AM
I have been looking for a 450r for some time and have found one that appears to be a good deal and has a lot of really nice mods. The catch is that it is an ER. I have read a lot of bad stuff about the electric start and will be using this bike to ride cross country. Is it really that bad? Is there a fix for the starting problem? I have read a lot of past posts trying to research this but thought I would start a thread on it. Thanks for any quick replies.

Scro
04-17-2009, 07:05 AM
As long as you keep the battery on a tender when you aren't riding, and keep you valves, jetting, and decompression all in spec., you shouldn't have any trouble at all starting.

wvwoods
04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. That means a lot since you are racing one in A class. Is it difficult to set the decompression and are there any tricks to making it start quick? Any other opinions.

Scro
04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
The decompression is simple. Do a search, and you will find plenty of information. I run a 24 volt starting system on mine (two batteries wired in series). It will crank with a tap of the button. I ran the regular 12 volts for a while, and although it would crank consistenly on the line, it just wasn't fast enough to beat the kickers.

Now all they see is grabbar off the line :devil:

rdj450
04-17-2009, 07:51 AM
i have an 06', bout it new and only replaced the battery once in 3 years.

wvwoods
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Guys, I really appreciate the posetive answers. I am probably going to buy this quad.