PDA

View Full Version : Fox rear shock single or dual rate or something else

brandonpeake
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
For the price how does the fox rear compare to other shocks and how do they stack up to the fronts the evols are amaing but i havent heard much about the sppring based rear and which is better, single or dual rate.

please list best ofr mx
xc
and
fmx

racernorris
04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
it depends on the brand of quad and the linkage you are running as to a dual or single rate setup. example: yfz and ltr450's are available in dual or single, but hondas with stock link are only available in single rate (there to short to run two springs).

as for ride quality, dual rate is usually a little more plush. as with all brands of shocks, if you or the engineer that put them together set them wrong, you will never be happy!

on a rear fox shock, set your preload to 1-2 rounds (both dual rate and single), on a dual rate set your cross over just about to touch the spring separator when you set on the quad. then set your ride height with the main chamber pressure on the front example: 7 1/2 front 7 rear (this is measured from the bottom of the frame with you on the quad) in most cases you will run 1/4 to 1 inch difference from front to rear. you will need to try different ride heights to find out what works best with the front end your running.

norris

rdj450
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
hey Norris, how bout a elka rear? (stock swinger w/ dual pro link)floats in the front. the rear is dual spring. i noticed on most rear dual spring set-ups the upper spring coil is a smaller diameter than the lower coil. mine seems to be the same as the lower(shorter of course), is this something to be concerned about. i do mx now, but when ordered the shock i was doin both mx and heavy trail at the time, maybe thats why?

racernorris
04-23-2009, 07:44 PM
elka only have two springs they use for the top tender spring, one is much smaller than the main (100-200 lb) and a 800lb tender that's about the same diameter as most rear main springs.

with out knowing what lb main spring i could not tell you what its set up for, but the 800 lb tender (top spring) is fine.

don't be confused about the lb of tender spring, the reason we use a heavy tender spring...... two heavy spring stacked on top of each other are softer than just one spring. example: 300lb spring compressed 1 inch = 300lb...2 inches = 600lbs and keeps doubling. a 300 lb spring and a 800lb spring on top of each other compressed 1 inch is only 150-200 lbs....2 inches 300-375 and so on. so if you just use a zps or very lite tender spring the weight of the quad compresses the liter spring and then you are nothing but main spring, that gets very stiff very quick. these are not exact numbers just used as an example!

Norris