PDA

View Full Version : Quad is smoking please help

tman12345
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
So prior to me messing with a few things my guad did not smoke not its together and it does. please help. heres the stuff i did, drained oil, replaced oil tank with new oil tank, changed oil filter, took off clutch cover, tightened chain, andpolished exhaust. i know some of those have nothing to do with it but its just for your info. So now when i hit the throttle there is no smoke, but when i let off of it white smoke comes out the exhaust pipe. I don't really know what i could have done that would have caused it to start smoking.

sprayedgt
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Does it only happen when the engine is cold? Or does it happen even after the engine has fully warmed up?

honda400ex2003
04-16-2009, 06:42 PM
It is on your 400 correct. dont hear of white smoke too often on these. Most of the time it is antifreeze burning when it is white. Otherwise i am not sure. Blue is oil and black is usually rich. White could be lean I guess but you did not do anything to mess with jetting. I am not real sure. steve

tman12345
04-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
Does it only happen when the engine is cold? Or does it happen even after the engine has fully warmed up?

i let it run for like five minutes, so i guess it was not fully warmed up yet.

sprayedgt
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Usually when you see a little white smoke in an air cooled engine's exhaust it's either a little water in the gas, or condensation in the exhaust. The gas we use today has up to 10% ethanol (alcohol) added. Since ethanol is hydroscopic, and the tank is vented, it'll attract a small amount of water from the atmosphere and it ends up in the tank. You could put some Sea Foam, Klotz, or any kind of fuel stabilizer in the fuel to eliminate the water and see if that helps.

honda400ex2003
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Nice i did not really think about that with the water. steve

yellowhonda400
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
i have a similar problem. when my quad is cold (start up) it smokes when i go. I have to trailer every where i go so when i get there i take the quad off my truck and just ride. My freinds say it smokes and ican sometimes smell it. its only white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe but what could this be. Some people say rings but i have no clue you guys ever hear of this?

tman12345
04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by yellowhonda400
i have a similar problem. when my quad is cold (start up) it smokes when i go. I have to trailer every where i go so when i get there i take the quad off my truck and just ride. My freinds say it smokes and ican sometimes smell it. its only white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe but what could this be. Some people say rings but i have no clue you guys ever hear of this?

yeah thats how mine is

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I think it is condensation in the pipe when it is cold and starts up but i am not real sure. That would only be if it does it for a couple of minutes on startup and goes away. steve

sprayedgt
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Well generally white smoke is really steam from water. Since it's an air cooled engine the only place water could be is either in the gas or condensation in the pipe. It only happens when the engine in cold so it shouldn't worry you at all. Just make sure the engine is fully warmed up before you ride it. That's the worst things you can do to an engine is beat on it when it's cold.