PDA

View Full Version : how u know when ur shocks are bottomin out??

MojaveKing
12-31-2002, 01:14 PM
well guys just like it says....how do u know...........
when i was @ jwisniew place he has a jump and when i jumped it..u get 4-5ft of air...(i think) and when i lad..i hear a Knock/crack sound?? what is that?? adn how u know we u bottom out.....
( it sounds like its comin from tha Front shocks)

jskance
12-31-2002, 01:31 PM
You probably are bottoming out. To test this theory, have a freind stand on the front bumper while your sitting stopped on the quad, and have him bounce up and down. This should bottom your front suspension - and will let you determine if that is the same noise you hear while jumping.

Good luck....

MojaveKing
12-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Jskance....i will have to try that thanks man

jskance
12-31-2002, 01:44 PM
no problemo...a friend my size (6'-4" and 255) would make short work of it...

OutlawEX
12-31-2002, 01:48 PM
when ur cracking ur frame or when it hurts when ya land

RideRed04
12-31-2002, 02:57 PM
Yup, it doent take much to bottom the front shocks. They will usually blow out before you can do any damage to your frame..then get works or elkas. I have ridden works and elkas, the elkas are a ton better, but trust me, the works would be plenty good enugh for me, and for the majority of the board too, despite what most people say.

MojaveKing
12-31-2002, 04:42 PM
does it help when u r around 170lb????? or that makes a difference on Mojave shock.......i'll check tha frame morrow K:)

MojaveKing
12-31-2002, 11:04 PM
well there on soft now too that place a part in it???
happy new year!!!:D :D rigth now!!

QuadTrix6
01-01-2003, 06:18 AM
yea im sure your just botoming out, mojaves aren't known for good stock suspension

Nausty
01-01-2003, 12:54 PM
your probably botteming out but I know when I had stock shocks when i would bottem them out the bars would vibrate a lot and then you would also here the pop from the shocks botteming. Also you can usually tell when from the sudden jolt of it botteming out. Now that I got my elka's I can't tell when I bottem them because they have a pretty big botteming bumper and I just adjust them stiffer.

MojaveKing
01-01-2003, 01:27 PM
my shocks are on soft now should i change them to hard? or Middle area?? thanks

RideRed04
01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Find a wooped out section, or just use a jump that bottomed them. Try all the settings. Ride some corners, hit the jumps. I put mine full soft because it gives me more squat and makes it much more stable in the corners. If they blow out, I'll just get works.

MojaveKing
01-02-2003, 10:43 PM
ya when tha front shocks arre on soft it sits lower.should i change it to stiffer then will it bottom out?:)

Nausty
01-02-2003, 11:25 PM
on my shocks I try to run as soft as I can so that I can still handle the jumps I want too but the softer it is the smoother it is through the rough stuff and the whoops and stuff like that. Looks like you have stock shocks though and I never really noticed much on my quad when trying to adjust them, other than sag.

stocktires
01-03-2003, 01:25 AM
what your adjusting is preload, it makes no difference on bottoming. If you 170lbs and you have 5 adjustments, put in on the 2nd or 3rd setting. See which you like better. too soft of shocks or too stiff of shock (pre-load that is) will generally handle worse.

exriderdude
01-04-2003, 01:24 AM
well you know when you bottoming out when you get this sharp pain in your wrist, my wrist are screwed for the rest of my life from riding, same with my knees, i always have pain.

MojaveKing
01-04-2003, 08:40 AM
ya....exriderdude...tha same.....on some jumps and most of tha time when i jump them....whyen i land.......my wrists just Hurt!!:mad: but i really havent had a problem wit tha Knee's yet.:D
should i change my Shocks like to Hard instead of soft? any 1?

DaveEX7
01-04-2003, 10:39 AM
when my friend bottomed out, his shocks went rite through the plastic lmao

stocktires
01-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
what your adjusting is preload, it makes no difference on bottoming. If you 170lbs and you have 5 adjustments, put in on the 2nd or 3rd setting. See which you like better. too soft of shocks or too stiff of shock (pre-load that is) will generally handle worse.

would ya like to read it again? You shocks arent compression or rebound adjustable.

nacs400ex
01-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Asking people isnt really gunna help you. You should just test it your self. Your body weight makes a difference, you quads shocks make a difference too. Try it medium, and then try it hard.. its all personal. I like to have my shocks medium, so it handles good in the corners and can jump moderatly higher than soft.

JMO
Craig

Syrus
01-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jskance
You probably are bottoming out. To test this theory, have a freind stand on the front bumper while your sitting stopped on the quad, and have him bounce up and down. This should bottom your front suspension - and will let you determine if that is the same noise you hear while jumping.

Good luck....

-DONT- do that, worst thing u could do, not to your quad but to yourself. I had a friend who did that to his 300ex, and his foot slipped off, and his shin scraped all down the skid plate at the front of the 300ex, and cut off all the skin on his front right leg...