PDA

View Full Version : piston skirt in tiny peaces! help?

chevys&honda$
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
OK, the piston skirt on my quadracer cracked and peaces broke off and went down into the crank case, i need a simple way to get all of that metal out, hopefully without spliting the case.

So far my only idea is to drain the oil, and then rinse it out with some kind of solvent a few times until no more metal comes out

Anyone got any tricks??

zwark
04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
magnet?

John451
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
a magnet wont work because the piston is aluminum so you run the risk of having piston pieces AND a magnet stuck in your motor. Draining the oil wont do anything because it is a 2 stroke and the crank is in its own section. Your best bet is to take the motor out, tip it upside down and shake it then flip it over pour gas into the crank and dump it out into a coffee can and see if there are any pieces in it, try that a couple times. it would help if on the second time pouring gas into it if you turned the crank over a couple revolutions.. for doing the turning it over it would be better to drain the oil because it will make it lighter and it wont leak out of any possibllel overflows. be sure to take the reeds out too.

IcutMetl
04-17-2009, 06:21 AM
That's kind of what I would do to, but you knowwww the best way is to take it all apart- I wouldn't want to do it either, but all it takes is one small piece of grit in a bearing, etc to destroy it...

John451
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
yeah, i just figured he didnt want to take it all apart.. I had a mouse get in behind the carb and reeds in my rm250 and they shat all inside of the crank lol. it was soo gross so i just vacuumed it out

F-16Guy
04-17-2009, 01:37 PM
It's your '86 Quadracer, right? You don't need to drain the gear oil because the crankshaft area in the center case on a 2-stroke is sealed from the rest of the engine. Just remove the engine, flush the center crank case with solvent until it runs out clean, dry it out, pour some 2-stroke oil on the lower rod bearing to keep it lubed, and install a new top end.

On a 2-stroke, that chamber around the crank is sealed because when the piston is moving up during the compression stroke, it creates a vacuum in that sealed area that draws in a charge of fuel and air from the carb. When the piston moves back down, it creates pressure in the crank chamber, and when the piston uncovers the transfer ports in the side of the cylinder, that pressurized charge of fuel and air that was floating around in the crank chamber travels up through the transfer ports in the side of the cylinder and into the combustion chamber for another compression stroke. That's also why a 2-stroke has reed valves; to act as a check valve so that fuel and air are allowed in when there is a vacuum in the chamber, but can't escape through the carb when there is pressure.

John451
04-17-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah but there might be an oil overflow on the motor so it would problably be better if the oil were out.. and the reed cage is mainly to atomize the gas into the air.

pro-rider46
04-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by John451
the reed cage is mainly to atomize the gas into the air.

nope, thats the carbs job.

John451
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
nope, thats the carbs job.

well yeah, the carb does that but i wasnt saying the reeds dont keep the fuel from going back out but they do atomize the fuel because when it sucks it in it basically acts as a kazoo or a piece of wax paper wrapped around a comb because they vibrate and mix up the fuel then they close up after.

chevys&honda$
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by F-16Guy
[B]It's your '86 Quadracer, right? You don't need to drain the gear oil because the crankshaft area in the center case on a 2-stroke is sealed from the rest of the engine. Just remove the engine, flush the center crank case with solvent until it runs out clean, dry it out, pour some 2-stroke oil on the lower rod bearing to keep it lubed, and install a new top end.

Yes 86 suzuki lt250r and No its not sealed off from the crank case, atleast if it was sealed its not anymore cuz after i took the piston and jug off you can see the crank case oil down in there, with little pieaces of piston floating in it, i drained the oil and watched it go down so its not sealed off

John451
04-18-2009, 05:21 AM
you need a whole new motor, or cases at least if you feel you can swap the transmission and all the parts over to new cases. If the gear oil is in fact in the motor then a piece of the piston broke through the case. That is if it alll drained out of the crank when you took the pllug out. if it kept ssme in then its the crank seal on the clutch side. but no 2 stroke should have gear oil in the crank.

F-16Guy
04-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by John451
you need a whole new motor, or cases at least if you feel you can swap the transmission and all the parts over to new cases. If the gear oil is in fact in the motor then a piece of the piston broke through the case. That is if it alll drained out of the crank when you took the pllug out. if it kept ssme in then its the crank seal on the clutch side. but no 2 stroke should have gear oil in the crank.
Yep, it's about to get expensive.

chevys&honda$
04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I guess it wasnt crankcase oil in there it was gas/oil,so it is sealed off.

I got it all cleaned out, i ended up turning it upside down and washing it out with brakekleen/parts cleaner, I got alot of metal out of there and looks like i got it all:)

F-16Guy
04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
That's good. Something tells me you'd have a hard time finding parts for that.

chevys&honda$
04-18-2009, 10:09 PM
not really they are pretty popular, you can still get just about anything for them

John451
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
so are you sure it wasn't transmission oil? because that's gona piss you off if after this and the $100 for the piston, rings, and hone that it blows smoke from a hole in ur trans. so just fill it back up with oil because you need to anyways then tip the motor forwards and shine a flashlight in there.. this is to make it so all your efforts aren't worthless.

chevys&honda$
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
i tripple checked it, its all good im putting it back together in the morning

John451
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
that's great i like to see people trying to keep the 2 strokes goin

chevys&honda$
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
it's runnin better than ever now:) im sure it still had the stock piston from 1986, with the new top end, it runs like a raped ape

John451
04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
lmfao!! i gota get me one of them.... a quadracer not a raped ape... lol idk how those push more hp than the rm250 which has the same motor...

F-16Guy
04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by chevys&honda$
it's runnin better than ever now:) im sure it still had the stock piston from 1986, with the new top end, it runs like a raped ape
Sounds good man. You'd know if you had a problem with the case. It would either be sucking in trans oil and burning super rich, or sucking in air and revving uncontrollably.