View Full Version : Mexican President........taking action

Pappy
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I read today where the Mexican president has moved aggresively against the drug cartels and they managed to capture one of the heads of these organizations. Im pretty sure this a is a big deal:p (Im sure its only a matter of time before an assasination is attempted or carried out on him but what can you do)

It would seem logical to me, that if the mexican government is taking heavy action against the drug trade coming out of Columbia and through Mexico, that this would be a great time for our president to take aggresive steps to halt the flow of drugs at the border. Has anyone heard of anything being stepped up on our end or is the door still wide open:confused:

With all the reports of kidnapping in the border states, and increased cartel violence in our own borders, Id like to know what is being done.

Anyone have any input or are we still acting like it doesnt affect us? I need to know, I would hate to be caught on the wrong side of things:scary:

ben300
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
...i dunno, but old b-rock has dabbled in a little blow from time to time...

Pappy
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ben300
...i dunno, but old b-rock has dabbled in a little blow from time to time...

And Bush hit the cheeb, Clinton didnt inhale and Reagan never toked a bowl or snorted a line while being a hollywood actor.....

I want to know what my country(government ) is doing to tackle a problem that now has been placed back on our door step as being the root cause for the violence in our country and others. The Mexican government lays blame to the demand of illegal drugs upon us and are asking the same thing I am...whats being done?

I would think an expansion of the Border Patrol would be beneficial to not only help control the border but would add jobs that are badly needed. Increased police forces through recruitment and budget increases would surely help both situations as well.....yet we throw TARP money to companies that are filing bankruptcy anyway!

Am I the only one seeing a huge oppertunity being missed here?

04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
According to the head of the Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, It is a not an issue and has no effect on our borders.

Pappy
04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Cron
According to the head of the Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, It is a not an issue and has no effect on our borders.

I feel much better knowing that:p

spanky101
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
I believe that our country needs to do a much better job on boarder patrol. We need to find better ways to keep the illegal immigrants out of our country and cut down our own bills. We, as taxpayers, foot the bill for illegals who get hurt here in the united states. Why should we have to take care of someone who shouldnt be in our country to begin with? Its a very very heated discussion, thats for sure.

Ralph
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
I hate to jump on this whole legalize pot issue cause i think its so played out but its the number one thing funding these cartels.

I'm no expert but i think it makes sense to just kill their market. If they got no money they can't play. I'm pretty sure marijuana is where the majority of their money comes from so if they loose all that it could put a serious dampener on all of their imports.

Legalize it or keep making the laws more of a joke. If we learned anything from the prohibition its that it just opens up the opportunity for crime.

Think about the tax money too:)

The way i see it is that the laws aren't doing their job anyway. If i really wanted to i could get my hands on pot just like anybody in this country. Why not let an american country profit.

----------- Anyway, it will all happen with time. I know none of these politicians are gonna stick their heads out on an issue like this. Even if one does no one has the balls to follow. I think the laws will keep getting less strict and it will eventually be legal.

Eviltanker
04-16-2009, 06:00 AM
The biggest cash crop comming up is coke. The Gov. has activated more National Guard troops to go to the border and patrol. In a way it is helping since alot of Guard guys don't have civilian jobs right now.(tough getting a civilian job when all you can put in a resume or job application is "I'm real good and have almost 4 years experience at hunting down dirtbags and whacking them or I can drive the crap out of a tank.")

jcv400ex
04-16-2009, 07:08 AM
I know the State of Texas has tripled the budget for drug enforcement this year. I was suppose to travel to Renosa 2 days after that captured the drug lord down there late last year, and I opted out. But I read up a whole lot on it while weighing my options. Decided a plump white guy in a rental car with Florida plates on it had no business by himself in Mexico!

mod440ex
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
our pres has flexed his weak little muscles once already with the pirates, he can't do it agoin until its reelection time.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by mod440ex
our pres has flexed his weak little muscles once already with the pirates, he can't do it agoin until its reelection time.

Im not a fan of Obama, but he is our President and IMO made the right call with the pirate issue. The real test will be what they can come up with to deal with that issue now that we have stepped up to the plate once.

Eviltanker, how do you feel being a returning war vet now that the DHS has labeled you likely to be prone for recruitment by right wing terror groups...lol

Ralph, that arguement can be swung both ways. Im not for legalizing drugs, but when a carton of cigarettes costs more then a dime bag...you start to wonder:eek2: So much for not taxing the average American who is a smoker.

coryatver
04-16-2009, 07:42 AM
obama is headed to mexico
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/16/obama.latin.america/index.html

Eviltanker
04-16-2009, 07:43 AM
I feel the DHS can Kiss my Red White and Blue A@#! I'm an American and will always stand by my country, I May not always agree with my governments ideas but, I'm an American and a soldier and will always support my country.
The DHS can put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
obama is headed to mexico
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/16/obama.latin.america/index.html

I see that. I wonder if Obama will correct the Mexican Presidents assertion that 90% of guns in his country come from the United States (its estimated that 13% of firearms seized in Mexico originate from the states through various means including theft)

Right on Eviltanker. Much nicer then being spit on as you got off the plane:mad:

Eviltanker
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
The bad words and jestures happened when I came home from Iraq, When I came home from Afghanistan people didn't even realize we are still fighting there.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Folks wont ever hear about that stuff.....and when they are told by a vet who has expierenced it, they wont believe it.

spanky101
04-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
The bad words and jestures happened when I came home from Iraq, When I came home from Afghanistan people didn't even realize we are still fighting there.

That is just rediculous. We are americans and you are preserving the rights of all of us and that is how your repayed. It disgusts me how disrespectful some of the people are towards vets

Eviltanker
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah well, I can hang. Don't love my country any less.

reptikes
04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Cron

Janet Napolitano is on the fore front of trying to help! So why purposely try to misinform everyone?

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has been quoted saying that Mexico drug war is the biggest threat to the USA to date.

MEXICO CITY — Seeking to ease a cross-border relationship strained by drug trafficking, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton arrived here Wednesday and offered the clearest acknowledgment yet from an Obama administration official of the role the United States plays in the violent narcotics trade in Mexico.
“Our insatiable demand for illegal drugs fuels the drug trade,” Mrs. Clinton said, using unusually blunt language. “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians.”

Mrs. Clinton’s remarks were coupled with a pledge that the administration would seek $80 million from Congress to provide Mexican authorities with three Black Hawk helicopters to help the police track drug runners.

She also came bearing a new White House initiative, announced Tuesday, to deploy 450 more law enforcement officers at the border, and crack down on the smuggling of guns and drug money into Mexico.

The diplomatic offensive, which will include visits by several other senior American officials ahead of President Obama’s visit next month, was calculated to mollify Mexican officials, who have chafed in recent years at what they regard as Mexico-bashing in Washington. It seems to have worked.

Patricia Espinosa, Mexico’s foreign secretary, said the new measures were “much along the line of cooperation that we have been trying to build upon.” But, she added, “there is always room for improvement in the U.S.”

Indeed, some of the Obama administration’s measures are likely to run squarely into American political realities. For example, early indications that Mr. Obama will push for stricter controls on the sale of assault rifles have already set off an outcry among gun-control opponents.

“Politically, this is a very big hurdle in our Congress,” Mrs. Clinton conceded.

Since last year, battles between law enforcement authorities and cartels, and other drug-related violence, have resulted in more than 7,200 deaths in Mexico, raising doubts about the government’s control over parts of its territory. The violence has also begun to spill across the border.

Mrs. Clinton met with the President Felipe Calderón and praised his campaign to root out corruption in the police force and the courts. She said Mr. Obama had not decided whether to post National Guard troops along the border, an issue that has aroused opposition in Mexico.

On Wednesday, the Mexican Army said it had arrested one of the country’s most-wanted drug smugglers, Héctor Huerta, near Monterrey, the northern city Mrs. Clinton will visit Thursday.
Mrs. Clinton said that in addition to sending the helicopters, the United States would help supply Mexican law enforcement officers with night-vision goggles, body armor and other equipment to battle the cartels, which are heavily armed.

“We’ve got to figure out how to stop these bad guys,” she said. “These criminals are outgunning the law enforcement officials.”

Drugs are not the only issue vexing relations between the United States and Mexico. Congress recently canceled funds for a pilot program to allow Mexican trucks to haul cargo on American highways. Mexico retaliated by imposing $2.4 billion in tariffs on 89 American exports.

Mexican officials complain about mixed signals from the United States, noting that even as the administration steps up law enforcement help on the border, Congress has cut back funds for a three-year, $1.4 billion drug countertrafficking campaign called the Merida Initiative.

Even small slights rankle. When Forbes magazine put the Mexican drug lord Joaqu_n Guzmán, known as El Chapo, on its list of the world’s richest people, it elicited more attention, and offense, in Mexico than when Mr. Obama acknowledged that the drug trade was a two-way street.

“There have been lots of different voices from the Obama administration,” said Andrew Selee, director of the Mexico Institute at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. “Hillary Clinton’s mission is to make sure there is a single voice.”

Mrs. Clinton said the administration was retooling the truck program to get it through Congress, and she expressed optimism that lawmakers were receptive but did not give details.

She defended the decision of Congress to withhold funds for the Merida Initiative, saying the lawmakers were watching to see that the $700 million already spent was being used wisely. The administration, she said, was weighing whether to ask for more money for the program.

The agreement between the nations was most vivid in comments by Ms. Espinosa and Mrs. Clinton on the need to crack down on gun smuggling. In December, Ms. Espinosa stood by as Condoleezza Rice, then the secretary of state, denied a link between the expiration of an assault weapons ban and drug violence.

“It is shocking to hear an American politician admit there is an issue,” said Denise Dresser, a prominent Mexican commentator and political scientist.

There were echoes of the presidential candidate in Mrs. Clinton’s discussion of America’s fitful war on drugs. She mentioned many failed efforts, going back to the “Just Say No” campaign.

“Clearly what we have been doing has not worked,” she said.

reptikes
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008 (5,612) people died in mexicos drug war.

Who knows how many already this year... its gotten worse so one can only wonder!

Pappy
04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
This qoute from Hillary Clinton puzzles me...

" “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians.”

Is she buying into the misinformation being spouted from El presidente'?

I would lay a wager that the majority of weapons found heading IN to Mexico are stolen. If thats the case, my support for better and more funded policing and better control of illegal immigrants involved in crimes has merit. The majority of weapons inside Mexico are being supplied by the cartels out of South America. Sure sounds like the ground work for heavy restrictions inside the US under the guise of "National Security"? Maybe thats just ahead, they dont have the support for it YET!

Known cartel rings inside the US should have already been tromped on, they know who and where they are, go get them as a start.

Big government at work....tell us what we want to here, make a few moves that satisfies the fringe on each side of the issue and the rest of us get screwed.

04-16-2009, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappy
This qoute from Hillary Clinton puzzles me...

[b]" “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians.”

Is she buying into the misinformation being spouted from El presidente'?

It is all a part of Obama plan to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Now he has an excuse.

ALAMX37
04-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I cant help but wonder why we waste so much money on the war on drugs. Where there is a demand there will ALWAYS be a supply. This is a war that cant be won, only set back the cartels and increase the prices of their product. The mexican president just committed suicide. These people live above the law and are very close to untouchable with there wealth and resources. For every street soldier they arrest, they is 10 kids waiting to take their place. If someone wants to get high, they will, plain and simple.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
These people live above the law and are very close to untouchable with there wealth and resources.

Not really...with a government in place that actually has the balls to deal with them, they can be removed. Mexico hasnt had a leader until now that wasnt corrupt or fearful of going after them. He isnt what I would call perfect as he keeps fumbling alot of numbers, but the man is getting things done.

As far as opening up a country to legalize drugs, well, thats not a country i'd like to live in honestly. But I geuss those hooked would soon find the short end of the stick one way or another

Ralph
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Not really...with a government in place that actually has the balls to deal with them, they can be removed. Mexico hasnt had a leader until now that wasnt corrupt or fearful of going after them. He isnt what I would call perfect as he keeps fumbling alot of numbers, but the man is getting things done.

As far as opening up a country to legalize drugs, well, thats not a country i'd like to live in honestly. But I geuss those hooked would soon find the short end of the stick one way or another

But isn't alcohol a drug, nicotine... etc. As of right now your living in a country where anyone who wants to smoke weed can do so easily.

I had roommates who did nothing but smoke weed 24/7 and i hated them but u know what; They didn't hurt anyone.

On top of that, our war on drugs is so ineffective that they were able to buy weed everyday, all day.

This issue is a dead horse, it will happen with time.

When i say legalize marijuana, i mean marijuana. Not coke, etc.

ALAMX37
04-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
But isn't alcohol a drug, nicotine... etc. As of right now your living in a country where anyone who wants to smoke weed can do so easily.

I had roommates who did nothing but smoke weed 24/7 and i hated them but u know what; They didn't hurt anyone.

On top of that, our war on drugs is so ineffective that they were able to buy weed everyday, all day.

The war on drugs has not moved since it started with Raegen. I can get whatever I want whenever I want. It is all about supply and demand. It is fast dangerous money, and that is more addicting to some than drugs. Its a waste of your tax dollars.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Ralph

To be honest, Americans lack the self control for legalized drugs but I know valid arguements exist to support both sides of the isle. And yes...I feel the same way about how people abuse alcohol.

As far as coke, heroin etc.....if its legalized it would spell the end of this country. We over consume everything as it is now. Re Read my frst comment, we lack the self control

:p

Rastus
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I won't get into this, because my solution would be to allow the Border Patrol to fire on people illegally crossing the border which, I am sure, will never happen.

Pappy, you hit the nail on the head with the lack of self control bit. It seems that people lack it more and more, and it seems that since they can't control themselves they want the gov't to do it for them.

Also, has anyone seen the coverage the news has been "reporting" of the tea party protests? Good hard working people and vets peacefully protesting and the media calls them unpatriotic, unamerican, radicals, etc. Last I checked, the things they are protesting for are about as American as they come. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to call me a terrorist or an evil gun owner, but that tells you just how brainwashed they are.

RATPACK Z400
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
In other coutry,s they dont put up with cartel,s and gang,s the gov just snip,s them off and problem solved are gov need,s to first take out top gangleader,s with sniper,s that kill,s the snake at the head then the other,s won,t want to take his place in fear of death that,s what it,s going to come to or just keep puting up with are gang,s here in america but of couse these scumbag/serialkiller,s have right like us (that,s a joke) and it would never pass though gov and get done if the gangs, arent dealing mass amount,s the cartel,s cant bring mass amount,s it take,s getting rid of the gang,s here first to stop the supply! I truely think killing gang member,s IS the only way to stop the drug,s /killing/corroption of youth in America or we will suffer in year,s to come when they take over city,s one by one then suburb,s goe,s from there there are too many legal Bs to go the route we need to go and we will see in year,s to come major change,s cause of it .Legalize weed would help some,but coke,herion are the one that can never be legal too dangerous of drug,s.

buck440
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
how is it in euro part of the world they have legal whoopie, legal pot :bandit: and low drinking age...if at all and still have less crimes committed then the good'ol us of the a? food for thought.

Quad18star
04-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by buck440
how is it in euro part of the world they have legal whoopie, legal pot :bandit: and low drinking age...if at all and still have less crimes committed

That's because when you take out the "illegal" factor ... it no longer becomes "fun" anymore.

When I was younger .... meaning 17 or 18 ... it was fun trying to get into the bars to drink because you knew that if you made it in, you beat the bouncer ... if you got caught , well you'd have a laugh about it and try the next bar. When i turned 19 and it became legal for me to be in the bars , well it was no more fun because all I had to do was show my ID if asked for it.

I would garantee that if pot was legalized , prostitution was legalized , and regulated ... everything would be a bit safer. In some European countries, the government controls what goes into the pot .... prostitutes are tested for HIV and AIDS and whatever else. You can be sure that buying marijuana from a government controlled business ( like cigarettes) would not be laced with coke, heroin or whatever other household products that the drug dealers are putting in it these days.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I just see the legalization issue from what I see daily with beer and booze. Its flat terrible around here. Drunks, drunk driving etc. I know that Dope is present at alot of the same scenes but its the alcohol that caused the wreck (personal responsiblity caused or lack there of but you get my point)

I just dont see anything good on THAT end of it.

Now I know damn well that the taxes alone on legalized pot would be a TON and could very easily be justified when combined in with the demantling of the war on atleast part of the drug war. I geuss it may come down to simple economics.

buck440
04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
in mendocino county in northern california they can legally grow up to 20 pot plants on their property at there will...unbeliers look it up

416exfreak
04-17-2009, 08:09 PM
in mendocino county in northern california they can legally grow up to 20 pot plants on their property at there will...unbeliers look it up

Mendocino, Humboldt and one other county...

Its only illegal if you get caught though. Plenty of people toke up and never get caught, because they do it responsibly (meaning the safety of thier own homes).

These issues get brought up again and again, and we complain and state our opinions over and over again.. but we never do anything about it.

Seems pointless to me...:confused:

buck440
04-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Mendocino, Humboldt and one other county...

Its only illegal if you get caught though. Plenty of people toke up and never get caught, because they do it responsibly (meaning the safety of thier own homes).

These issues get brought up again and again, and we complain and state our opinions over and over again.. but we never do anything about it.

Seems pointless to me...:confused: it's weird how it works.... it's like the state law says it's legal but the federal law says it's not so:confused:

Quad18star
04-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Funny you mention this . I actually watched a program on tv the other day about this and these areas. The guy's backyard was full of pot plants which he was legally able to grow and dry up. There was actually stores where people could go in and buy different types of pot , as long as they had a doctor's note ... which most said was very easy to obtain.

One lady was a career woman.... and she actually gave up her career to start growing marijuana and selling it to some of the stores because she made more money this way.

RATPACK Z400
04-18-2009, 12:03 PM
The products made from weed like rope(strongest rope)used on ship anchoer,s clothing,medical weed ,etc the taxs alone would help this countrys economy big time farmers could save there farms and crime would go down it should be for all states not just california! id rather have someone driving on weed than beer/wine anyday at least they can drive and not kill people and selfs and not be so violent ,people on liguior/beer/wine are so violent compared to weed.

Quad18star
04-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
The products made from weed like rope(strongest rope)used on ship anchoer,s clothing,medical weed ,etc the taxs alone would help this countrys economy big time farmers could save there farms and crime would go down it should be for all states not just california! id rather have someone driving on weed than beer/wine anyday at least they can drive and not kill people and selfs and not be so violent ,people on liguior/beer/wine are so violent compared to weed.

What you're talking about for making clothing and rope is Hemp ... not weed. Hemp has no THC in it so it doesn't give you the high feeling. Not sure about you guys in the south , but up here Hemp is legal to have and many shops carry hemp products.

05LSR250R
04-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Im not gonna get into this too far.....so I'll just say this:

Shut down that God Damn border!

Let every rancher along there free from prosecution!

FreekShow
04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree with alan but i can see both sides. as long as people have the urge to get high they are going to get the drugs somehow. its a big issue and its not gonna be easy to resolve and im not so sure it will ever be resolved. I definitely dont think legalizing drugs would help anything but marijuana isnt that big of a deal IMO. its just the same as having a few beers....i've hung around with alot of people into drugs half my life and have seen some pretty bad things. there are just so many different ways to get ahold of drugs. for example all the little towns around here within a 15 mile radius i can find 30 people to get all kinds of drugs from. now put that into a nationwide perspective...

Pappy
04-18-2009, 05:26 PM
If it's legalized, i've already copyrighted the name for my new retirement platform....

"Pappy's Palace of Pot"

"The place to trade your green for ours":eek: :devil: