PDA

View Full Version : TPS problems 07 Outlaw 525?

ojcool
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
The bike has issues with starting without having my thumb pressing just slightly on the throttle. Obviously it also wont start if you try to give it gas beyond just barely touching it.

I am assuming it is a problem with the TPS sensor. I popped off the thumb throttle cover and I saw there is some kind of electrical contacts inside there. They do not have any effect. Does not matter if that circuit is open or closed I actually have to just barely press on the throttle beyond that contact where the cable moves just slightly to the carb for the bike to fire up.

Does anyone know what the purpose of:

1) the TPS sensor serves in this carburated engine setup, I don't understand what role it serves on a non fuel injected engine. (is there any way to disable it b/c I see no reason to have the extra crap to go wrong)

And 2) What the electrical contacts in the Thumb throttle assembly are for

So far this bike has far from impressed me in respect to the Polaris components, I have had multiple electrical issues and some other factory assembly problems.

I would never buy another Polaris product when every Yamaha and Kawasaki bike I have had have never had any quality issues. Unfortunately this is the only IRS sport quad available. If it did not have the KTM engine I would not have bought this one.

ojcool
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I was reading that people have disabled the TPS on these, how is this done? Just cut the wires? Can anyone give a reason WHY this bike has a TPS on it?

Bombshell525
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
There's a set of wires running up to your throttle. One is brown and one is black. To disable mine i just unplugged it and put it in backwards so its not just hanging there.

Its really a throttle over ride system that incase the cable or something else gets caught in the open position without your thumb on the throttle it will shut the engine off.

Outlaw212
04-15-2009, 09:06 PM
TPS IS STUPID!!!

The polaris (and other quads) are wired so that the electrical system is never grounded while it is operational. As soon as a ground is introduced, the quad will shut down. The TPS in the throttle is set up so that when the throttle is working normally, the contacts will never touch and the quad will run as desired. If the throttle is stuck open and you let off the thumb lever, the contacts will meet, ground the system and shut down the quad.

That sounds like it would be a smart and effective safety device except for two very logical factors:

1. You should be running a tethered kill switch. If you are separated from the quad, a ground will be introduced and the quad will shut down hopefully before damaging itself or killing any spectators. (You should always have spectators. It makes you ride better!!)

2. You have a clutch. If the throttle is stuck open and you are still on the quad then just calmly pull in the clutch, stop the quad and shut it down.

So if your TPS is giving you trouble, just cut the wires going into the throttle and that will disable it. (This is also a great spot to install the aforementioned tethered kill switch.) If that does not solve the problem then the quad is finding a ground somewhere else in the system. You will have to trace the wires (good luck) and find the problem.

One final note:

The stock throttle really sucks!! Mine actually broke off in a race. I had to finish the race with a pair of vice grips as my thumb lever. Not fun. Not safe. So get a honda thumb throttle instead. I think Colby at C&D sells a nice modified one for the Polaris.

Hope all of this helps.

cj525
04-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Mine has done the same thing. Just remove the cap on the throttle and you will see that a contact is touching unless you put a little pressure on the throttle as you stated. Slide the throttle cable adjustment cover boot off. Just down from the throttle. Use the adjustment to restore the proper gap so the contacts don't touch. Reinstall boot and cover.

Fixed!!

ojcool
04-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I think I will just disable it and add a tether kill. I just don't want any "extra" safety **** that will actually end up being dangerous when it decides to fail at the most inopportune time. Like when I am climbing some kind of death hill.

Like I said this bikes electrical has given me so many problems I swear I just want to rip it all out and just have one big on off switch. I never have any problems with it until I am trying to unload it from the trailer when I get to a ride spot. No kidding it has happened just like that twice. Then I'm playing jonney troubleshooter while everyone else is riding. I'm over it!

I'm going to pull off the plastics and trace and black electrical tape every single wire on this thing tomorrow. Then, I'll zip tie each one 20 places and finally coat them all in liquid tape. I'm kidding but it's getting to that point with this thing.

Thanks for the help guys.

sleddog66
04-16-2009, 04:39 AM
cj525 is right. Your t-cable has streched and needs to be tightened. You are not getting full throttle if you don't adjust. I guess that is a BONUS of the throttle saftey switch. I don't view it as a bad thing. Nothing will work right if not properly maintained. For reference, this is the TSS, not the TPS.......Two different things.

OutlawBill
04-16-2009, 05:19 AM
If you still have the stock thumb your problem is more than likely the ETC

FiveTwentyFive
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
ojcool,

Same happened to me. Adjust throttle cable. Go ride!

ojcool
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, I unplugged it and everything is fine so I guess it was the "TSS" and what praytell does TSS stand for anyway? Throttle Sucking System?

I will adjust it though, you had me at, "may not be getting full throttle" of course you KNOW I'm going to check that out.

sleddog66
04-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Well I think Bill is right, polaris is calling it a the ETC on this model. The polaris sleds always called it the TSS or throtle saftey switch. Anyway, the point was that the TPS is down on your carb, and is completley different. Glad you got it fixed.