PDA

View Full Version : for those who live/have lived in phoenix

250r rider 88
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
just want some general dos and donts about living in the desert, preferably by people who have been there for a few years at least

also what are good dogs to have out there

thanks

hardkoratvmxr
04-16-2009, 08:28 PM
i have only been here a year man but trust me you pick up things fast.
1. drink lots of water, if you stop sweating your dead
2. in the summer dont lay on the asphalt for anything, unless your dead
3. never ride in the desert alone, or you might as well be dead

now the moral of this is, common sense or your dead lol

just some jokes man sorry. but the 1. 2. and 3. things really do go with what you are asking

gojk
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I have lived in AZ my whole life.

1. Always have water. You can never take too much with you anywhere. Camelbacks are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
2. Always wear sunscreen. You will regret the first time out with out it.
3. Even the nights during the summer are brutal, but that is about the only time to go do anything outside. If you must, take a trip up north to the high country for a day or weekend of riding.
4. Bring a quad or two because the desert is a blast to ride.
5. The valley is spread out wide, so if you don't have a personal vehicle getting around is very cumbersome. The public transportation system is horrible.

People say "well it is a dry heat" but stand in front of a furnace for a few minutes and tell me how the dry heat feels.

I have no idea about the dogs. I am sure a Huskey would have a rough time here.

F-16Guy
04-17-2009, 12:58 PM
-- When you park your car, turn the top of steering wheel to the bottom so you can grab it and drive when you get back in. Also, keep it clean and waxed so the UV rays don't kill the paint. You can get a full service car wash (inside and out) for about $15.

-- Don't buy a car with a leather interior

-- Think before you grab anything made of metal in the summer. It will burn you, I assure you of that.

-- Get a dog that you would be comfortable having in the house once in a while. It gets way too hot in the summer to make a dog stay outside all day unless you provide a cooled place for it to hide. I'm not saying people don't do it, but IMO, it's pretty cruel.

-- Camping/riding/fun: Lake Pleasant (< 1 hour); Lake Roosevelt (approx. 3 hrs); Tubing the Salt River (< 1 hour); Chase field for a D-Backs game and Supercross. It's the best venue I've ever been to for SX. (people still refer to it as "Bob" for it's former name, Bank One Ballpark); Mill Avenue in Tempe for good bars/clubs and lots of college chicks; SpeedWorld in the far West valley for WORCS in January and bike/ATV practice and racing all year. They have a very well lit track and hold night time practice so you can still ride for most of the summer without roasting.

I don't know how old you are, but if you can swing it, BUY A HOUSE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!! I bought a new 1500 sq.ft. house in 2003 for $127K, sold it in 2006 for $212K, and now the same model in the same neighborhood is selling for $65K!! Houses will not be any cheaper in a major city than they are right now in Phoenix. Make it your top priority!!

maxamillion
04-17-2009, 10:55 PM
dont drive in the car pool lane on I-17 (during traffic hours) without a passenger. those tickets are not cheap as i found out.

always park in permitted areas or your vehicle WILL get towed and you will have to pay about $200 and drive a half hour to get it back. yes that happened to me.

deffinately hit up all the mx tracks you can out there they are all very different styles. speedworld, grindingstone, ET motopark, ACP, theres one in prescott also which is a cool drive up north.

id say ur best bet for strip clubs is alaskan bush company. check it out at least once lol.

check into automotive stores like checkers, pep boys, autozone, for part or full time jobs if your gonna be in school.

check phoenix craigslist often for smokin deals on furniture or quad parts.

if you get an apartment with a garage be careful because they are very picky about keeping them clean.

other than that be careful in the desert make sure someone knows where you are riding at and always take a buddy. you ll have a blast out there.