PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket intake yes or no??

mxpimp2000
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
i been thinking of buyin a FCI intake and i want something i can run with my airbox but i dont want to spend 200 dollars for .5 hp i want to know if its worth the money and is the power increase gonna really be noticeable, also which intake is best that i can use my stock air box

jersey devil
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
i been thinking of buyin a FCI intake and i want something i can run with my airbox but i dont want to spend 200 dollars for .5 hp i want to know if its worth the money and is the power increase gonna really be noticeable, also which intake is best that i can use my stock air box

The intake is definetly a quality piece but just that alone I honestly don't believe you will notice a great difference if any at all.Especially if you have already a better air filter and the lid off the box.It will allow some better breathing especially if you had some good port work because it all works together but not to the tune of 200 dollars at this point nor will it be felt in the seat of your pants.
I'am sure there will be some disagreeing but if it makes you feel cool to just spend the money go for it!But then there are some that will buy a truck full of rubber crutches because they just don't know any better.
I'd save the 200 myself at this point with the mods you already have.Good luck and ride hard.

mxpimp2000
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
im on a budget and cant afford to spend 200 just for the heck of it i was thinkin if it was really a good investment and something that would help me on the track id try to save up for it i already have a HC piston UNI filter no box lid jetted cam mod exhaust just basic stuff

Ride1Rob
04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jersey devil
The intake is definetly a quality piece but just that alone I honestly don't believe you will notice a great difference if any at all.Especially if you have already a better air filter and the lid off the box.It will allow some better breathing especially if you had some good port work because it all works together but not to the tune of 200 dollars at this point nor will it be felt in the seat of your pants.
I'am sure there will be some disagreeing but if it makes you feel cool to just spend the money go for it!But then there are some that will buy a truck full of rubber crutches because they just don't know any better.
I'd save the 200 myself at this point with the mods you already have.Good luck and ride hard.

I agree.

mxpimp2000
04-15-2009, 09:27 PM
thanks rob i trust ur word uve helped me out alot on the forums thanks bro

daddio
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I agree.

Me too........ but only because you are on a budjet. That .5 hp and the crisper throttle response is worth it if you have the cash, and ride the pro class.

mxpimp2000
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
lol i do ride pro class at locals but not nationals i want some serious hp gains on top of wat i got now

daddio
04-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
lol i do ride pro class at locals but not nationals i want some serious hp gains on top of wat i got now

Then you will have to start spending some serious cash.

You have all the "normal" bolt on stuff. The next step would run you about 3k and should be done as a package to get the best benefit.
IE: porting, bored carb, cams, better pipe (to match the porting) FCI intake, Ignition.

Ride1Rob
04-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Porting, cams, and a better intake would almost be like adding another exhaust system to the gains you already have.

mxpimp2000
04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
i heard not to buy aftermarket cams because they arent as good as stocks, i can get a good port job for 300. so if i get porting and intake and hotcams it will give me about how much HP? on top of what i have now which is ? wat do u think im pushing HP wise?

Ride1Rob
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The stock cams for the YFZ are very good cams. But I'm more than sure there are aftermarket cams that would get more out of the portwork. Hotcams, webcams, crower, etc... give the valves more lift and longer duration which helps the bike pull stronger, harder, and longer throughout the powerband. Some are too aggressive and beat your valves, buckets, and springs up pretty good.

Also, depending on who you send it to you can get a good port job for $300. For that price most places will only give you a recreational port job. You need the race setup.

BTW, thanx for the compliment ;) and glad that I'm able to help you.