PDA

View Full Version : How Reliable

06 Honda 450R
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
alright the deal is, im tryin to get my brother back into ridin but he doesnt want to spend alot of money on maintenance, i told him that this is one of the most reliable quads out there but he still doesnt believe me, i saw this one dude who had a 400 that was 12 years old and the cylinder still looked great, just tell me your experience with these bikes cause i need someone to ride with, he probably only put a pipe and jets on to make it loud but no other engine mods, maybe cosmetic stuff

honda400ex2003
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Mine has been great. I have been through a few sets of cattier bearings, and put vavle seals in it last year whne I did my rebuild but they are great machines otherwise. I would suggest it to anyone. steve

04-15-2009, 09:29 AM
a 12 yr old 400ex? they have only been out for 10 years...hmmm

anyway, they are as reliable as you get...i am on my second one("upgraded" to a 450r then went back to a 400ex)...both were 2000 models...except for oil changes, two rear tires(sliced a sidewall), a new chain and sprockets on the old one and a clutch lever pin, there has been no cost required other than the goodies that it really didn't need...if i have spent 250 on everything(oil changes not included), i'd be surprised

jcs003
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
i have a 99 (first year) and when i needed a rebuild went with bib bore kit. (only one rebuild) just needs regulary maintained. oil, carb cleaned, everything lubed and air filter cleaning. super reliable.

06 Honda 450R
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
anyone elses input

matt14c
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
May be the easiest sport quad to maintain other than maybe the 300ex. Just do regular maintance and you wont have a single problem. Oil changes, keep air filter clean, check valve clearences once or twice a year depending how much you ride and watch the axle bearing and swinger bearings depedning how much mud or the type of riding you do. Really to be honest all machines are reliable if there owners are reliable in taking care of them. If your brother just wants to start something ride her hard and put it away wet then get a utility like a foreman or something!!! With any honda they are all good as well as the major companies just dont get one of those quads you can buy at tractor supply or something.

dr qwerty
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I love mine to death, as far as the long haul can't help but logic will tell you this...Part for this bike are cheap, not like a 450 etc...think about people upgrading to 450r carbs you could pick up a new one for cheap, etc...parts and maintance on it is easy to come by...

Ruby Soho
04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
i used to have a 1999. most reliable bike/quad i ever owned.

bigbad400
04-16-2009, 11:59 AM
mine has NEVER not started, pump it twice push botton and it fires right up daily. i ride it hard and only things iv done is valves and oil and filter, the only money i spent on this thing is what i put into it to make it faster and handle better, some dressup stuff.

well i lied i had to buy a fuse once but that was only because i got it in the water and i have no cap on my fuse holder. it cost $2.50 for a box of ten or something.

most reliable machine i ever ran besides my chevy.

bigbad400
04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
^^^^^^467,000+ miles on the chevy and never bean inside it for anything but an oil change.

firm believer in running only full synthetic oil, no additives, and keeping lubed up properly. i had my truck since i could drive at age 16 with 95,000 on it, im 22 and its still good to go.

the 400ex is just as reliable if not more so, just do routine stuff and it will last forever.

DirtMonkey
04-16-2009, 01:16 PM
1999 Ex with original internal everything and stills runs like a scalded dog

Wheelie
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Mine has been very reliable, even in highly modified form. I've only had two problems with the machine and I've owned it since it was new--bought it August of 99.

I let a friend ride it for awhile and he somehow killed 3rd gear. The other failure was minor--the ground cable to the battery broke.

It has always started and run great. Over 3 years on the stroker without a hint of trouble.

EX's are bulletproof.

Tyler01
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I used to have a 1987 Honda Trx 125 ... I ran it without oil and it locked up....Well i spun the motor hard enough where it broke it loose. and she fired right up. It smoked but i rode that thing like that for at least 2 years untill i moved up to a 300ex and i got my 300ex this last year......And to this day {my uncle owns the 125} I can go out there and she will start right up and its still on it original bore (:

450rJam
01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
99 400ex, been beat to hell and back on everything from muddy trails to dunes and everything between.

went through several sets of tires and a couple sprockets/chains

its piped/jetted with k&n and still runs strong.........

I dont know if you can kill it unless you refuse to do oil changes and filter cleaning

sad part is that if your friend buys a 400ex it may be the last quad he ever has to buy

greencow
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
idk if you guys no but the last post on this thread was over a year ago haha

450rJam
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I didnt notice, I usually just look at new posts and this was listed.
it is a little funny though

I bet all the 400ex's on this tread are still going strong

Tyler01
01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I didn't pay attention i just post but i still don't think yall can beat my four wheeler

{ I used to have a 1987 Honda Trx 125 ... I ran it without oil and it locked up....Well i spun the motor hard enough where it broke it loose. and she fired right up. It smoked but i rode that thing like that for at least 2 years untill i moved up to a 300ex and i got my 300ex this last year......And to this day {my uncle owns the 125} I can go out there and she will start right up and its still on it original bore (: }