PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues?????? HELP!!!

QUIK450MXR
04-15-2009, 07:09 AM
hey yall, i seem to be having issues on what i believe to be the starter relay. it just clicks like its trying to start. then when you let off the starter switch and hit it again it fires right up???. any input would be greatly appreciated.

QUIK450MXR
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Nobody???? lol

coalrat
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Best thing to do would be to check all you connections close to the battery

QUIK450MXR
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by coalrat
Best thing to do would be to check all you connections close to the battery

yea I did all that. and it seems to only do it every now and then. who knows. you know how these ole polaris' are, very tempermental.lol

ojcool
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, when was the last time you checked your valve lash? I know it sounds a little out there but I was having problems with the bike starting. I though it was a bad battery, then starter, bought them both and it turned out to be valves out of adjustment. This was on an outlaw 525, I don't know if thats what you have or not. If not just disregard what I said.

OUTLAW525YUP
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ojcool
Well, when was the last time you checked your valve lash? I know it sounds a little out there but I was having problems with the bike starting. I though it was a bad battery, then starter, bought them both and it turned out to be valves out of adjustment. This was on an outlaw 525, I don't know if thats what you have or not. If not just disregard what I said.
Please elaborate on the valve adjustment as I am having problems starting my 525. It seems as if the starter can't push the piston over the compression stroke. I was about to go buy a starter and battery. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does anybody have instructions on how to set the valves on these 525's

ojcool
04-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, thats sounds exactly like valve adjustment problems. That's the first place I would start b/c it's free. My dumb *** put a starter AND a battery in before I figured it out. There are many posts about adjusting KTM valve lash even Utube Videos. It's not hard. And you don't need to spend money on a super special feeler gauge either. In fact in one video the guys shows you how to do it with NO gauge at all. It works so good I don't even use my $30 stupid gauge anymore.

sleddog66
04-23-2009, 04:29 AM
The ktm's have a auto- compression release in the engine. Possible this is not functioning, and making it difficult for the starter to turn the engine over?

08525IRS
04-23-2009, 10:11 AM
My bike did the same thing. I brought it into the dealer and the start relay was going bad and they replaced it under warranty. What year is your bike?