PDA

View Full Version : Tranny whine on decel

d3ktrix
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
As soon as I got out on the track yesterday and let off the gas for the first time, I noticed a pretty loud whine noise coming from the bike.
Only happens on decel when moving pretty quick, happens in all gears, most noticeable in 3rd, 4th, 5th.

When I pull in the clutch it pretty much goes away, at least quiet enough to not hear over the pipe.

When the tranny is cold the noise is much worse, once it gets hot from riding it quiets down some.
I always let the engine warm up before riding of course.

Tranny and engine oil was just put in it and at perfect levels (even double checked). And I change both every other ride.

The last time I rode the bike, at the end of the day I landed a large jump all retarded, my thumb slipped off the throttle or something when I landed, bottomed out and heard a fairly loud clank from the engine/chain area of the bike.
I pulled off the track to make sure my old *** chain didn't crack or something, everything looked fine, but after that we stopped riding for the day so I have no idea if that is what caused the whine.

Before this ride the bike was up on the grab bar over night, but it sat level for awhile before starting. Doubt that matters though.

Engine only has 11 hours on since I did a FULL rebuild on it.
Replaced every single bottom end ball bearing and seal with Honda OEM, cam chain. (Left the roller bearings)
New HR +3 balanced & welded by crank works, new Hinson outer basket.

My clutch hub a tinny bit of wear on it.

Butter
04-14-2009, 11:48 PM
That's an interesting one. I'll give you what I would think. Sounds to me that if this problem did not occur AT ALL before you landed goofy on that jump, I would maybe think you landed on the shifter a bit? I would check into that, cause if its got the slightest bend in it, it will rub somewhere. Only other thing I would think it maybe that old chain got a bit bound up, and caused a ton of force through the counter shaft where the front sproket is. Again, the slightest bend could cause a noise. And again this is only if this big goofy landing caused it. Otherwise, I would hate to say, but one of those brand new OEM parts might of been deffective, and is wearing prematurely. On an old bike I had, I put brand new water pump seals in, and got 2 races out of them, and they blew out again. I mean it was a "Yama-bomb", but still, parts can be deffective when new.

Maybe a hair bit more info could help. Does the bike shift fine? Does it seem like the noise is also causing the bike to drag down? Have you drained the oil to see if there is any metal in the fluid? I know its new fluid, but just to see.

This is what I would try first, concidering the circumstances. Hope some of this made sense enough to help you out. Hope to see you out at Atco soon, with the problem fixed.

d3ktrix
04-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Its never made this noise before yesterdays ride.

Its possible I hit the shifter, but didn't feel my self do it at that time.
The old chain was still flowing good, wasn't binding at all, just the rollers were blowing off of it. lol

Since the clank I replaced the chain/sprockets and spun the counter shaft and it felt 100% perfectly smooth.
Guess it still could be tweaked tho.

The bike shifts 100% perfect, rode it for 4-5 hours at Breezewood and not a single miss shift or weirdness.

And it doesn't have any abnormal drag while riding, still engine breaks normally and rolls perfectly free with the clutch in.

I'll be draining the oil tomorrow after I clean it.

Thanks for the help, I'll be at atco if I can fix this in time. If not I'll be in the basement with the cases split :P
And is true Etown only has 2 quad practices/races this year?

Butter
04-15-2009, 12:11 AM
As tight of a fit that counter shaft is with the seal and all, if its nice, easy, and true, then that seems to be good. I would think too, that if the shift shaft was bent, even a little, that it wouldn't shift right, but it could be a shift fork as well too. As tight as everything is, one tiny little thing could be bent a half millimeter, and cause a noise. Good luck with it man. I hate hearing about problems that occur after you went and got everything done right. I think once you drain the fluid and see what it looks like, you'll know whats going on.

Yes, that is true about E-Town, and that might turn into 1 race, cause they're having problems scheduling the Fall Classic. So either its going to conflict with something, or won't happen. I'll keep you updated. They can't get the insurance to run open practices like they used to, that's why its down to just the 2 events to run there anymore.

d3ktrix
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah I don't want to break the seal on that engine again, it was all so perfect.

Sucks about Etown, best track we have in Jersey.

Butter
04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah I hear you. Open practice days there are awesome. Love the track, although I'm going to sh*t myself next time I go after wrecking on top of the stair case, lol. Think I might start closing my eyes on that one. But hey man, I don't want to take away from your thread here, so give us an update when you look into it, and hopefully something punches you in face, and say "Look, here's the problem!!"