PDA

View Full Version : Cops have nothing better to do

Titanium
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
So im on my way home from the car wash and im going under the speed limit by like 5 mph. i wasnt hot rodding around or anything. i notice that our local cop is coming head on to me. i figured no big deal im not doing anything wrong. I noticed that soon as i passed the cop they flipped a u-turn and got right behind me. They pulled me over. The lady came up to my window and asked me if there was any drugs in my car. i replied by telling her that there wasnt any in the car and that she was more than welcome to search it. well she ended up searching through it and not finding anything. She asks for my drivers license and registration. She goes back and checks it and comes back and says that my window tint is to dark. Now this is where my problem begins. i had my windows already rolled down when she had me pulled over. Well i tried to roll them up so she could check them and they wouldnt roll up. automatically she assumed i was playing it off so i wouldnt get a tint ticket. I checked my fuse box and coincidently my fuse was blown to my windows so i could not roll them up. i even showed her that the fuse was blown and even had her try to roll the window up. Anyways out of this whole ordeal i ended up with an obstruction of justice ticket. What do you guys think? Should i take the blown fuse to court and show the judge or what?

Pappy
04-14-2009, 10:36 PM
You should always take a ticket to court if a fine or points are on the line. The blown fuse wouldnt hurt.

I would never volunteer my righst away for them to search the car to begin with. If they want to search me, they will get a warrant or use probably cause, and when they dont find anything illegal, they can explain themselves to my attorney. We seem to give away our rights at the drop of hat these days.....doesnt anyone read the 5th amendment:p

Titanium
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
You should always take a ticket to court if a fine or points are on the line. The blown fuse wouldnt hurt.

I would never volunteer my righst away for them to search the car to begin with. If they want to search me, they will get a warrant or use probably cause, and when they dont find anything illegal, they can explain themselves to my attorney. We seem to give away our rights at the drop of hat these days.....doesnt anyone read the 5th amendment:p

lol yea normally i wouldnt volunteer my rights either for them to search my car but i figure it will make me look better in court anyways. i knew there was nothing in the car for me to get in trouble for being that i just got done cleaning it out at the car wash lol.

NacsMXer
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

X2..

Last time I checked, they need a little thing called probable cause in order to search your vehicle. You consenting to a search isn't enough to warrant one...there needs to be a reason first.

Pappy
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
X2..

Last time I checked, they need a little thing called probable cause in order to search your vehicle. You consenting to a search isn't enough to warrant one...there needs to be a reason first.

Thats easy, "I smelled what I suspected to be alcohol or dope"

The worst thing you can do is remove all doubt ..as in...

Officer:" Good evening, do you know why I stopped you?"

Driver: "Speeding?"

Youve just removed your innocent plea. The officer will denote on his ticket(the copy you dont see) that you admitted guilt. Could be running a red light etc.

Always be polite and do as they say, but dont give them the ammo they need to nail your butt! If they ask for a search, my advice is to ask them on what grounds. Usually , if they stammer on the response or get ignorant, they have no real cause for the search. Your guilty in thier eyes, why make it easy for them. I know very very very few people that got off of a ticket by allowing thier property to be searched just to appease the officer. If they dont find what they want, you will get a ticket nonetheless for your troubles.

Im no lawyer, nor a police officer, but good common sense and knowledge of your basic rights can help you if you need to go to court. Just dont be a smart *** or act above the law when your dealing with a police officer, it wont help you and will garuntee youre leaving with a ticket or worse.

byrdman37876
04-15-2009, 06:59 AM
sounds like she was having a bad day and took it out on u.

deathman53
04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
If the cop wants to give you a ticket, you will get one, no matter how perfect you are driving. Take the ticket to court and ask them how she assumed she was right to give this ticket. You know obstruction of justice I believe can be a criminal charge in some circumstances. I would fight this to the end.

I've had cops tailgate me for miles, I pulled over, they did too, they asked why I pulled over and I told them "you are tailgating me". They turned around and left me alone. I made sure to get their badge number and plate, it was written clear where they could see it. I have called and complained twice also, a cop was tailgating me for miles. Pulled over, he starting his routine. He noticed the quad in my truck, starting accusing me illegal riding, he wouldn't quit, showed my helmet(sticker w/ a number on the back), chest protector (sticker with a number), he didn't buy it. The place where he accused me of going was deep sugar sand, I had 18" mx tires and asked him "when was the last time, you stopped a guy in that place with these low tires, they would get stuck in nearly every rut and dig into the sand". He left after he felt like an ***. I called the station, went down there, written a complaint, I was told that this is the 5th complaint from atver's, he is likely to get disaplinarly action.

I had a cop in m town tell me how I can't push my dirtbike down the road, stopped me some 6 times and everytime he was told to leave me alone. He was tailgating me on my bike, followed me and he stopped me as I pulled on the rr tracks. He ran everything, the station told him to leave me alone and let me be.

About a week later, he was tailgating me again, I pulled over and when asked why, I told him that he was tailgating me, when he saw me behind him, spun around, then got behind me, thats a textbook move when you intend on pulling somebody over, then you tailgate and try to get them to speed, to have an excuse. He got pissed, really pissed, everything of mine was clean. He left, I went to the station and filed a complaint, guess what, he now waives me to and doens't do this petty crap anymore. Sometimes you have to go over their heads when you feel they are wrong.

Bryson#221
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I had a cop tailgate me for several miles, for ABSOLUTELY no reason. I wasn't speeding, I didn't have my music up...nothing. It appeared as if he just got bored. He would speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, get on the other side of me, speed up, slow down, get behind me, speed up, slow down, repeat...the ENITRE time. FINALLY, after he found he could pull me over for SOMETHING...he pulled me over to tell me that my "tags" were hidden by my license plate. I had only had my truck for like 2 weeks.

Ohhh I am getting fumed up just talking about it.

Lazy, good-for-nothin' cops.

There is so much trouble in the world. It was about 9 o'clock at night...in a crime filled area of town...and all he's worried about are my stupid tags- which you could still see the top (AND THE DAMN COLOR which proved what year and month they were eligible for).

I completely lose respect for policemen when they do stuff like that. I think it makes them look incredibly ridiculous.

I can see it now..."the shift change":

"What did you get tonight, Fred?"
"Well IIII pulled someone over because they were swerving..clearly drunk!"
"What about you, Jeff?"
"Well IIII pulled someone over because they were going 20 miles over the legal speed limit- AND in a work zone!"
(Everyone) "Oooooooo"
"How about you Tom, what kind of scum did you catch!?"
"Well IIII pulled someone over because their tags were hidden by their license plate frame. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? Ugh. The nerve."
(Everyone) ...blank stare.

Needless to say, I DID NOT get a ticket. But, what I DID get, was an even more loss of respect for our "superiors". Where'd all the good, noble cops go?

ben300
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Question:
Originally posted by Bryson#221
Where'd all the good, noble cops go?

Answer: they all retired and the and all the ****ty ppl from our generations are now becoming the police

matt14c
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Well havent seen this been asked yet but are your windows too dark??? If not you can go to the station and have a superior sign off on the ticket and be cleared. If she never seen the windows she cannot assume they are too dark.

hondariderdylan
04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
sounds like it was around the end of the month and her quota was a bit low:p

or that other thing that happens at certain times of the month, you could have just gotten the short end of the stick

take it to court, whats the worst that could happen?
you have to pay it anyway;)

Rastus
04-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Never EVER consent to a search of your car, if they can't see what they need to see from the window then they will have to get a warrant. It WILL make them more suspicious, but they don't have the right to, so why surrender your rights away?

Best thing to do when stopped is have your dome light on with the windows down, the person pulling you over will be alittle more comfortable if they can see you and inside the car. I have only encountered nice LEOs myself, but there is always differences between city/county/state patrol. Be polite and do things when they ask for it, don't go searching in your car unless they ask you for reg. or DL. If you aren't looking at a big infraction then most likely you wont get a ticket if you follow this.

<DRS>GPF
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
ahh... a place to show this video..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSB90HFGy7w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSB90HFGy7w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ryan
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan

Thats one thing I disagree with. If an officer doesn't make their quota, then they gotta run around giving bogus tickets... Just doesn't seem very fair.

Checking tints with flashlights and testing decibal levels by ear.... I seen it to many times... Its B.S! There are alot of decent cops around here, but theres the few that just abuse their authority and seem to have sh*t for brains. You can't take out on all cops.

hondariderdylan
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Thats one thing I disagree with. If an officer doesn't make their quota, then they gotta run around giving bogus tickets... Just doesn't seem very fair.

Checking tints with flashlights and testing decibal levels by ear.... I seen it to many times... Its B.S! There are alot of decent cops around here, but theres the few that just abuse their authority and seem to have sh*t for brains. You can't take out on all cops.

agreed:scary:

Dupontster
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
LADY COP. my thoughts are they think they have to prove themselves...

JForestZ34
04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
You can't take out on all cops.

Well everyone has an opinion on this topic... 9 out of 10 cops are pricks.. They think they are god and what they say goes... I've had too many run in's with the cops and I didn't even do anything for them to harass me or my friends.. Never had any problems growing up or anything. It's just when cops want to throw the book at you TRUST ME they will..

James

jcs003
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
no matter how you look at it the issue comes down to money. cops giving tickets produces revenue. the people commiting "real" crimes don't pay fines or restitution. so us drivers get stuck with it because we pay. it is a beaucratic system and traffic violations pay these lazy gutless cops. i have seen drug deals going on on one corner and a cop has someone pulled over on the next corner for rolling through a stop sign.

its just sad.

ricksmx865
04-15-2009, 07:32 PM
y'all should be police officers.......:rolleyes:

jcs003
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
y'all should be police officers.......:rolleyes:

what???

03pete
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
back in my sophomore year in high school, I had my car parked in the street during Christmas break. I had some friends over who also had their cars parked in the street. They predicted just a inch or 2 of snow, but for some reason or another we ended up getting 6 inches by morning. I hear my dogs bark for 5 minutes straight at around 7:45AM. I finally get out of bed to see what the hell they are barking at, and its a cop knocking on my door to let me and my 4 friends know that we all got parking tickets for parking in the street with more than 4 inches of snow on the ground. I told the cop that we were on Christmas break, and that right when we woke up we would have moved them when we saw the amount of snow on the ground. He just told us rules are rules and he doesn't make them, just enforces them.

Now don't you think that cops have more to do during morning rush hour than give 5 of us parking tickets for parking on a road that wouldn't be plowed for another 12 hours, and that no more than 10 cars would drive down all day?

from then on, I lost the small amount of respect i had for them. I know there are good cops out there, but _ _ _ _ heads ruin it for all of them

85 dollars a piece too:mad:

Pappy
04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I think ricksmx was trying to say that those who view police officers in a bad way or have negativity towards them, should walk a mile in thier shoes etc.

I am always respectfull to law enforcement, but have seen that approach returned by arrogance and attitude time and time again. I had two of the states finest enter my property and ask if they where at such and such address. I turned and looked at the house numbers and replied "No sir, thats the house across the way"....I then felt relief that there wasn't any problems and added "You all scared me for a second". The later half of my comment was pure relief driven as I didnt want to hear "Your kid or wife is dead etc".

The cops shut thier doors and asked if they needed to check me out seeing I was scared of the law:rolleyes:

This is where I turned into the typical prick you will hear every police officer use to try and tell the public why they are the way they are, yet they fail to acknowldge that thier actions, tone and demeanor will net them negativity and hostility.

Im all for good solid law enforcement, just weed out those that have a power control issue or view the public as subordinates.

jcs003
04-15-2009, 07:54 PM
they give law enforcement a personality test that is supposed to weed out the mentally insufficient but it must not work too well. it is the minnesota multi-phase personality test (MMPT) that allocates mental characteristics necessary to be an officer of the law. i think a different test is in order.

Pappy
04-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
they give law enforcement a personality test that is supposed to weed out the mentally insufficient but it must not work too well. it is the minnesota multi-phase personality test (MMPT) that allocates mental characteristics necessary to be an officer of the law. i think a different test is in order.

For the most part, I think everyone would agree that the majority of LEO's do a great job and most deal with the public in a professional manner.

I asked a buddy who is a cop one time why he doesnt wave (wife waved at him in traffic and he looked but didnt wave back) He told me that everyone waves and he gets tired of waving back:p The wife called him a azzhole the next time we saw him and he waves to her now:D

They have a crappy job to do, and they are human. But when you strap a gun and badge on, you have to be of a different mind set and that mindset also will keep many officers on survival mode and thier personality suffers. Thats why I suggested to always be polite and offer them nothing more then you, by law, are required to give them. The system is set up to give you your day in court and that is your platform for discussing the events to a judge or magistrate.

Now if you want to talk about the courts being a joke, thats another issue. One day when you have zero to do, go sit in on traffic court. Listen to the excuses and rants and you will see why your story made the cop roll his eyes:blah:

JForestZ34
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I think ricksmx was trying to say that those who view police officers in a bad way or have negativity towards them, should walk a mile in thier shoes etc.

I am always respectfull to law enforcement, but have seen that approach returned by arrogance and attitude time and time again. I had two of the states finest enter my property and ask if they where at such and such address. I turned and looked at the house numbers and replied "No sir, thats the house across the way"....I then felt relief that there wasn't any problems and added "You all scared me for a second". The later half of my comment was pure relief driven as I didnt want to hear "Your kid or wife is dead etc".

The cops shut thier doors and asked if they needed to check me out seeing I was scared of the law:rolleyes:

This is where I turned into the typical prick you will hear every police officer use to try and tell the public why they are the way they are, yet they fail to acknowldge that thier actions, tone and demeanor will net them negativity and hostility.

Im all for good solid law enforcement, just weed out those that have a power control issue or view the public as subordinates.

Very well said...

But I will add this... I would love to walk in the shoe's of the cops in the town I live in... The least paid officer make's 78k and the last time they had to pull there weapons on anybody was 20 years ago.. I hope they never have to but if they do I hope it's warrented.. A couple of guys in my high school are cops now, they were 1 year ahead of me, and when I would talk to them in school they said how much they hated police and this and that... They said they couldn't stand the pricks, but yet now they act the same way they did..

I do understand that they picked there profession, but this is a classic example of how 1 can ruin the rest.. I used to be friends with them until I've even been wronged by them.... But everybody has and opinion on this matter, and they will differ quite a bit...

James

jcs003
04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
my grandfather was a detective in pittsburgh and my dad works in the courts as a child welfare advocate and they will even say police are different these days. they don't elaborate, and i guess it is because of their line of work. but i have to say, like i said above. "its all about money." their is pressure put on police to give 'x' amount of traffic tickets, respond to every call as silly as it may be and calculate as much overtime as the budget allows.

if the money is not spent in the fiscal year the following year there may not be increases or even less available in that area.

honduh440
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
i didnt read all the following post but in my opinion cops being "dicks" is a good thing their is a lot of people out their driving drunk high whatever everyday left and right .. i agree asking to search your car when you look completly innocent is uncalled for but the ticket for to dark of tint is against the law .. driving threw the country with no street lights and over the limit of tint can be very dangerous you could pull out infront of someone on a bicycle walking and have no idea thats the reason why its a law

Pipeless416
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
while there are many good cops, there are just too many barney fifes out there trying to seek revenge for a rough time in high school..

ben300
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
i dont know....maybe i see it differently coming from a law enforcement family, but i think alot has to do with just the exchange of respect between two ppl..you and the cop, and the cop and you..

i have been pulled over 4 times in my life...the first time was by a complete dick hhead city cop by wear i live in PA, how was later fired for drug abuse...but the second time was cause i was going 25 mile an hour over the speed limit...they had me pulled over for 45 minutes, and asked me all sorts of questions...but the entire i maintained my cool and was totally respectful to the officers and tey let me go with a warning..

the third time i got pulled over was for a burnt out tail light...adn was let go..

the final time was for me being a complete prick..i was late on my way to work last august, adn i was tailgaiting this guy, pretty much on purpose....adn unmkared ford expedition from a local township pulled me over...i was totall polite..teh guy told me to quite being a jerk adn to be respectful to other drivers on teh road and let me go...

three of the insances i was in the total wrong adn showed respect adn got it back..

you just have to be respectful..i understand that a lot of ppl on herer hate cops and dont give the respect, but if you can just do that..youd avoid a ton of problems..

you also hae to look at where there coming from...my father was a criminal detective fore the Pennsylvania sate police for 28 years...he worke the road for 2 and then become a detecive.....and trust me..i can tell you that ver the years, because of all of the horrible thigns, murders rapes, accident victims, and all of the dirt bag, ****ty ppl he had to dal with, crooks, robbers, murders, rapists....his mind has changed....alot...i love my dad a ton an we have a great relationsihp...but he can be an ***..adn is on edge alot...because of alot of he things he has seen in his life....

the do a job, tht i definital would nto want to do

JForestZ34
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ben300
i dont know....maybe i see it differently coming from a law enforcement family, but i think alot has to do with just the exchange of respect between two ppl..you and the cop, and the cop and you..

i have been pulled over 4 times in my life...the first time was by a complete dick hhead city cop by wear i live in PA, how was later fired for drug abuse...but the second time was cause i was going 25 mile an hour over the speed limit...they had me pulled over for 45 minutes, and asked me all sorts of questions...but the entire i maintained my cool and was totally respectful to the officers and tey let me go with a warning..

the third time i got pulled over was for a burnt out tail light...adn was let go..

the final time was for me being a complete prick..i was late on my way to work last august, adn i was tailgaiting this guy, pretty much on purpose....adn unmkared ford expedition from a local township pulled me over...i was totall polite..teh guy told me to quite being a jerk adn to be respectful to other drivers on teh road and let me go...

three of the insances i was in the total wrong adn showed respect adn got it back..

you just have to be respectful..i understand that a lot of ppl on herer hate cops and dont give the respect, but if you can just do that..youd avoid a ton of problems..

you also hae to look at where there coming from...my father was a criminal detective fore the Pennsylvania sate police for 28 years...he worke the road for 2 and then become a detecive.....and trust me..i can tell you that ver the years, because of all of the horrible thigns, murders rapes, accident victims, and all of the dirt bag, ****ty ppl he had to dal with, crooks, robbers, murders, rapists....his mind has changed....alot...i love my dad a ton an we have a great relationsihp...but he can be an ***..adn is on edge alot...because of alot of he things he has seen in his life....

the do a job, tht i definital would nto want to do

I do understand that I'm sure their job is stressful but when i was in high school, I went through and intersection while the light was yellow... When I mean yellow, it turned yellow as I was driving over the crosswalk.. The cop comes out and pulls me over and says I ran the red light.. So I was polite and didn't get angered over maybe getting a ticket for this, next thing he's talking to my girlfriend and asking if i hit or beat her.. And if she was ok.??? I sitting in the car like WTF does that have to do with anything.. She wasn't upset and she told the cop that is none of his business and everything is just fine.. Long story short the officer didn't like her answer and gave me a ticket for running a red light.. When he gave me the ticket he said because of HER attitude and HER response, this is why your getting the ticket...

I did fight the ticket and got out of it but the point is I had to go to court and waste the whole day waiting to be called over this BS.. That sours me a little just talking about it.. In my opinion that is poor judgement on that officers part....

James

400exMO
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
The fact is everyone is going to have bad experiences with cops somewhere in their lifetime. If it bugs you guys bad enough to have to talk about it on the net, make changes to avoid it. I do not agree with the drinking age of 21 and have a record to prove it. Yes the cops were dicks but worse things can happen. Would you guys rather not have cops so you do not have to deal with them?? What we really need is education so people can talk about topics that matter, or make changes so other do not experience the things they went through. Thanks, Mitch.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
What we really need is education so people can talk about topics that matter, or make changes so other do not experience the things they went through. Thanks, Mitch.

I would say that a bit of both are taking place in this thread. You are on the net discussing this issue while saying we shouldnt:confused: Do you have a tail and two peters:p

scuzz
04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Last night I was running around trying to find a post office to mail my taxes from that would post mark it the 15th instead of the 16th. After the 3rd post office I ran into two women who knew where the post office was, but it was across town at some intersection that I never heard of in Austin. (I just moved herein August)

Anyway they asked me if I wanted them to bring my tax return and they would drop it off for me. That got a "thanks, but I don't mind following you if that's OK."

They said sure and we were off.

About 20 minutes into the trip it was obvious that they had not sense of direction nor did they know where the street was. They blew through a yellow light and I, like an idiot floored it and followed. As I went through the intersection I could see the police car about a half mile behind me come to the light and stop.

Dammit!

So we ended up catching the next light to which one of the women got out and confirmed what I thought and they didn't know where they were going. Just as that happens I see the cop car pull up next to me and stop. Before he could light me up I put my truck in park, threw on the hazards and got out to talk to him.

As I walked up he rolled down his window.

The officer: "yes sir."

Me: "Officer, I wanted to apologize to you for running the light."

The Officer: "I was going to get you too...have a good night and be careful."

He drove off.

Very, very nice of him.

After that I mounted my Garmin up and dumped Thelma and Louise and went straight to the main post office with an hour to spare before midnight.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
scuzz, if you would have gotten out of your vehicle around here, you would have been met with an officer behind his door with his weapon on you.

Bryson#221
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Very, very nice of him.

Youza got lucky :D

scuzz
04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
scuzz, if you would have gotten out of your vehicle around here, you would have been met with an officer behind his door with his weapon on you.

I wasn't in a nice area either. This was East Austin at 10:30.

The cop may have felt a little more comfortable since a female was walking talking to my window at the same time.

Plus I have gray hair, a clean truck and my kiddos were in seat belted in too.

I wasn't much of a threat in the hood.

SPDSNYPR
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I'd take all my legal advice from an internet site about 4-wheelers. That's just good thinking right there.

This thread is just completely full of false info. Period. But, hey - it's a place to vent about how mean and evil the cops are.

I notice you guys **** talk the cops constantly here. But I have not seen one thread about the officers who run toward the bad guy when the shooting starts. In the last month, at least 8 officers have been killed running toward the gunfire.

What have any of you whiners done?

I'll be anxiously awaiting your juvenile responses about how you have in any way served anyone but yourselves.

Pappy
04-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Typical response from an officer, instead of taking the oppertunity to discuss the issues citizens see, you berate them. Thanks for making my points even more valid:p

scuzz
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey I thought my post was spot-on and free of douchbaggery.

SPDSNYPR
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

No, dude - not directed at you at all. Was about halfway through the second page and just got fed up with the incredible amount of juvenile BS and misinformation going on. Sorry if it appeared like my response was directed at you at all. But to quote all of the outright crap up to that point would have taken three pages by itself.

Bryson#221
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Free of "douchbaggery" indeed :p

Pappy
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
So point out the BS...this is an open platform and youre more then invited to share your view.

Your hot-headedness shows many what they see and already have posted and relates to the attitude they recieve when encountering a LEO.

jcs003
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
No, dude - not directed at you at all. Was about halfway through the second page and just got fed up with the incredible amount of juvenile BS and misinformation going on. Sorry if it appeared like my response was directed at you at all. But to quote all of the outright crap up to that point would have taken three pages by itself.

what exactly was "misimformation"?

there were just three police slain in my area and the way people came together was evidence police are appreciated that risk their lives to serve the community.

the issue is the police mistreat good tax paying citizens over simple moving violations. Furthermore, it is evident the relationship between police and the community has changed when their is a thread on a ATV enthusist site complaining about police behavior.

ridered92
04-16-2009, 04:38 PM
i got pulled over last week i had a broken tail light and it was just a matter of time before i got pulled over. it like 11:00 at night and my ole man and mom wanted a big mac so i offered to get it well as soon as i pulled out of mcds it was like a minute and he hit me. i have a restriction because i havnt had my licence for 6months so he does the routine and asked what the restriction was for. and i told him i can drive between the hours of midnight and 5am noone in the car besides family unless there 20. he like o they changes thos all the time so i wasnt sure. i guessing he must of thought i was high comming from mcds at 11pm haha all and all he said just get it fixed and you will be all set. there are alot of douche bag cops around here too but i got lucky

400exMO
04-16-2009, 04:40 PM
You are on the net discussing this issue while saying we shouldnt:confused:
Read my post a couple more times, never said anything about should or shouldn't. Oh and did I mention Education.

Bryson#221
04-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Uhm,

I wouldn't try & scrap with Pappy.

Bryson#221
04-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, wouldn't want to get dissed on the net.

Yeah, I totally understand...wouldn't want to get caught acting BA behind your own keyboard either :rolleyes:

MX MaNiAc 06
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM

No joke, the first and only time i have ever been pulled over i rolled through a stop sign in a University. That stop sign was about 100' from where i parked. I parked my car, grabbed my keys and smokes out of the car. Shut the door, locked it and turned around to a megaphone coming out of a police car "GET BACK IN THE CAR WITH YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!!!!!!" I about fell over because i had no idea i was being pulled over. hahaha The officer ended up being pretty nice about it even though i still got the $108 ticket.

The other couple cops I came in contact with weren't so pleasant but I will not share my stories..

JForestZ34
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd take all my legal advice from an internet site about 4-wheelers. That's just good thinking right there.

This thread is just completely full of false info. Period. But, hey - it's a place to vent about how mean and evil the cops are.

I notice you guys **** talk the cops constantly here. But I have not seen one thread about the officers who run toward the bad guy when the shooting starts. In the last month, at least 8 officers have been killed running toward the gunfire.

What have any of you whiners done?

I'll be anxiously awaiting your juvenile responses about how you have in any way served anyone but yourselves.

There are decent officers out there but they are far and few between.. Sure they put their life on the line everyday, but most guys I know and talk to do it for the benefits, and pay.. If you become an officer at the age of 20 where else can your retire with FULL benefits at the age of 45... Nice gig if I say so myself...

Also don't tell me that officers don't break the law AT ALL ever in their lives while being a patrol officer... How many times have you seen one come screaming up to a light throw his lights on just so he could go through the light, then turn them off and pull into a parking lot just to talk to his other cop buddy sitting there to talk... BS...

My girls sister's car is not inspected... She gets pulled over by an officer and first thing she says when she gets out of the car is " My boyfriend is a cop".. SO the guy starts going off on her( As I would).. She calls her boyfriend on the phone and gives the phone to the officer, next thing the officer says " ok miss you can go".. Right there that is ABUSE OF POWER... She should have gotten a ticket or even had her car towed because it could even be unsafe to drive and get someone killed... But he lets her go.

This also upset's people like me because if it's good for her then it should be good for anybody... If your job is to uphold the law the UPHOLD the law.. The law applies to even your cop buddies.... Not just who YOU think it should apply to...

James

KXRida
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Or she was on her (lets leave it at that)

Yah I've had my run in's with the local cops as well. I've had a state police trooper want to search my truck. I politely replied, no I'm sorry, if you would like to search my truck I can wait until a warrant can be issued."

Pappy
04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Read my post a couple more times, never said anything about should or shouldn't. Oh and did I mention Education.

I was refering to the education part, you dont get educated unless you have open dialogue. The second part was clearing up what you meant. The puppy with two peters..well that was a joke but seeing you have no sense of humor I geuss it went over your head...lol (take a joke would ya lol)

And for anyone thinking I am for or against law enforcement, read what I have posted slowly. I stand by everything I have posted and even posted a disclaimer that I am not LEO or an Attorney.....but you dont have to be either to know your basic and fundemental rights and you SHOULD know them. You want to search my property then by all means, you will follow the letter of teh law while doing it. Any LEO that advises the citizens to NOT exercise their rights ..well...shouldnt be a cop period.

Hopefully this thread will remain intelligent and informative and I wont stand for any name calling against the police. Your free to share your stories and express your view, but leave the mud slinging out of it.

ridered92
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
but i like mud haha:devil:

400exMO
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I was referring to the education part, you don't get educated unless you have open dialogue. The second part was clearing up what you meant. The puppy with two peters..well that was a joke but seeing you have no sense of humor I guess it went over your head...lol (take a joke would ya lol)

And for anyone thinking I am for or against law enforcement, read what I have posted slowly. I stand by everything I have posted and even posted a disclaimer that I am not LEO or an Attorney.....but you don't have to be either to know your basic and fundamental rights and you SHOULD know them. You want to search my property then by all means, you will follow the letter of the law while doing it. Any LEO that advises the citizens to NOT exercise their rights ..well...shouldnt be a cop period.

Hopefully this thread will remain intelligent and informative and I wont stand for any name calling against the police. Your free to share your stories and express your view, but leave the mud slinging out of it.

I'll take a joke!! It just riles me up to see the men and women who serve our people be disgraced. I am currently attending law school and recently graduated with an undergraduate in mechanical engineering. Hoping to be a patent attorney!!!! I'm sorry if the things I said were hurtful I just wish we as a people would educate to make the country stronger. Not complaining against law enforcement. Even though we will all be treated unfair once, they still serve their purpose and we are better of with them than without them. Hope y'all understand, it's late and the beer's flowing!;)

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM

OK, Pappy - you asked what BS there is, I'll start with your first response.

#1 - it's PROBABLE cause, not probably cause. Of course, people have just no clue what PC is but they talk about it all the time. PC is the standard for both arrest and search. If I have PC, I'm not going to ask you to search your car. I'm going to take you out, handcuff you, and search.
#2 - mobile vehicles are excluded from the requirement of search warrants with any sort of PC. Mobile vehicles are rolling exigent circumstances - if you have PC, you can search without a warrant.
#3 - consent is just that - consent. You don't need PC to ask for consent. If you have PC, you don't need to ask for consent. The driver is giving you permission to search their vehicle with consent, and it has been upheld time and again that we can ask it absent PC. We are allowed to ask questions of and make contact with the public, and if they allow us to search their property, then we are within the law.
#4 - I will explain myself in a report - and could care less about your attorney. As long as I am operating within the law and department policy, your attorney can pound sand. I often have PC to search and find nothing. That doesn't mean I did anything wrong. There are countless cases upholding this.
#5 - there is a whole lot more to criminal law enforcement that just the ammendments to the constitution. But you speak of the 5th ammendment:

"No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

This is the right to be free from self-incrimination (right to remain silent, from which the Miranda case came - another part of LE that is wildly misunderstood and the source for great entertainment on internet sites), capital crimes requiring a grand jury indictment, double jeapordy, and due process. And as an aside, Miranda only applies when two circumstances have been met: 1. custody (an actual arrest, not a tmeporary detantion such as a traffic stop) 2. interrogation. In other words, I have to arrest you and have you in custody, and then have to question you about criminal activity before Miranda applies - no matter what you have seen on TV. But I'm rambling now and am a little off topic.

I think in this instance you are looking for the 4th ammendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Of course, you may not have noticed that "unreasonable" part - most people seem to skip that when they read it, and it is the part on which many cases of search and seizure hinge. Was the officer acting in an objectively reasonable manner when he searched a property (with or without warrant) and when he seized something, whether it be real property or a person. You'll note that it says that the people have the right to be secure from unreasonable search and seizure. It doesn't then say that a warrant must be issued to search. It just says that if a warrant is issued, it shall be based on PC, must be sworn on under oath, and the place to be searched must specifically be noted.

Now that's just your first response.

I'll respond to some others as I get the time. Since I can't multi-quote here, this might take me a while. I'm going to have to pick and choose from the posts.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
X2..

Not true at all. If you give consent, the officer can search, period. They have to have PC or resonable suspicion that they are in danger (ie, weapons present) to search absent your consent.

jcs003
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM

#1 - it's PROBABLE cause, not probably cause. Of course, people have just no clue what PC is but they talk about it all the time. PC is the standard for both arrest and search. If I have PC, I'm not going to ask you to search your car. I'm going to take you out, handcuff you, and search.
#2 - mobile vehicles are excluded from the requirement of search warrants with any sort of PC. Mobile vehicles are rolling exigent circumstances - if you have PC, you can search without a warrant.
#3 - consent is just that - consent. You don't need PC to ask for consent. If you have PC, you don't need to ask for consent. The driver is giving you permission to search their vehicle with consent, and it has been upheld time and again that we can ask it absent PC. We are allowed to ask questions of and make contact with the public, and if they allow us to search their property, then we are within the law.
#4 - I will explain myself in a report - and could care less about your attorney. As long as I am operating within the law and department policy, your attorney can pound sand. I often have PC to search and find nothing. That doesn't mean I did anything wrong. There are countless cases upholding this.
#5 - there is a whole lot more to criminal law enforcement that just the ammendments to the constitution. But you speak of the 5th ammendment:

"No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

This is the right to be free from self-incrimination (right to remain silent, from which the Miranda case came - another part of LE that is wildly misunderstood and the source for great entertainment on internet sites), capital crimes requiring a grand jury indictment, double jeapordy, and due process. And as an aside, Miranda only applies when two circumstances have been met: 1. custody (an actual arrest, not a tmeporary detantion such as a traffic stop) 2. interrogation. In other words, I have to arrest you and have you in custody, and then have to question you about criminal activity before Miranda applies - no matter what you have seen on TV. But I'm rambling now and am a little off topic.

I think in this instance you are looking for the 4th ammendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Of course, you may not have noticed that "unreasonable" part - most people seem to skip that when they read it, and it is the part on which many cases of search and seizure hinge. Was the officer acting in an objectively reasonable manner when he searched a property (with or without warrant) and when he seized something, whether it be real property or a person. You'll note that it says that the people have the right to be secure from unreasonable search and seizure. It doesn't then say that a warrant must be issued to search. It just says that if a warrant is issued, it shall be based on PC, must be sworn on under oath, and the place to be searched must specifically be noted.

Now that's just your first response.

I'll respond to some others as I get the time. Since I can't multi-quote here, this might take me a while. I'm going to have to pick and choose from the posts.

all you did was critique his grammar and quote the the statutes: escabito v. ohio-search and seizure statute. and, miranda v. arizone-miranda act statute.

i am also sure Pappy, is fimiliar with those amendments (4&5) as he just gave an accurate synopsis in his posts.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
If the cop wants to give you a ticket, you will get one, no matter how perfect you are driving.

Not true. There has to be an offense (real or perceived) for a citation to be issued. All that is required for a stop is reasonable suspicion.

Originally posted by deathman53
Take the ticket to court and ask them how she assumed she was right to give this ticket. You know obstruction of justice I believe can be a criminal charge in some circumstances. I would fight this to the end.

But the OP absolutely does have the right to take this to court. Here, Obstructing an Officer is a criminal offense.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by byrdman37876
sounds like she was having a bad day and took it out on u.

A guy posted on an internet forum about how he was stopped, and eventually written a criminal complaint - and you assume that what he is saying must be true and therefore the cop was just having a bad day. Think about that. Do you have any reason to believe that anything he said is true at all, or that his account is complete and factual?

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Spoken like a true LEO :rolleyes:

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Wow, super cop you are:p

#1- If you do not have PROBABLE cause, and you hancuff me and search my property, you will be a rent a cop by your next pay date. You ASSUME you have PROBABLE cause in your description....the IF you describe is debatable and will be judged by someone other then the officer if there is NOT PROBABLE cause. Lets keep things real here and look at this from the point of view being discussed and that is from the point of view that the search is indeed bogus and not justified.

#2- Only if you have sufficient evidence or PROBALE cause, and depending on the state statue, you may or may NOT have the right to search with out a warrent. In most states, if you do nt have PC nor consent, you are required to have a warrant.

#3- You again bypass the CONSENT by assuming that the person either gives it to you or you have PC to search the property.

#4- Again, attitude trumps the fact that you could be 100% in the wrong. You assume again that you are within the law, it will be settled between an attorney and judge and or panel to whether or not you did act within the limit of teh law. Your pounding may come from your superior attitude as once again, you take the position that you are within the law, we are assuming for sake of arguement you arent.

#5-We have protection under the 4th and 5th amendments. The 5th being more towards keeping your mouth shut and giving an officer no more information then required by law as I repeated in my responces.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
A guy posted on an internet forum about how he was stopped, and eventually written a criminal complaint - and you assume that what he is saying must be true and therefore the cop was just having a bad day. Think about that. Do you have any reason to believe that anything he said is true at all, or that his account is complete and factual?

Do you have any way of proving that what he witnessed or expierenced is false?

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
all you did was critique his grammar and quote the the statutes.

That's all I got out of it.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I had a cop tailgate me for several miles, for ABSOLUTELY no reason. I wasn't speeding, I didn't have my music up...nothing. It appeared as if he just got bored. He would speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, get on the other side of me, speed up, slow down, get behind me, speed up, slow down, repeat...the ENITRE time. FINALLY, after he found he could pull me over for SOMETHING...he pulled me over to tell me that my "tags" were hidden by my license plate. I had only had my truck for like 2 weeks.

Ohhh I am getting fumed up just talking about it.

Lazy, good-for-nothin' cops.

So your assumption is that he was just screwing with you? Think about this: is there any chance that there was any other sort of crime committed in your location, and your vehicle matched the description? You say he was speeding up and slowing down on each side of you and then behind you . . . . almost like he was trying to SEE IN THE VEHICLE. Like maybe trying to see if the driver matched the description of whoever they might have been looking for.

We make what are called "pre-text" stops all the time (perfectly legal - we look for minor traffic violations while trying to investigate larger crimes - upheld be Supreme Court decision as perfectly legal). That cop who didn't have anything better to do might have been looking for a rapist, murderer, drug dealer, drunk driver, or anything else. And you got stopped for a brief amount of time. News-flash - these sort of stops are how we get all the really big criminals. Tim McVeigh was caught because of a tag violation. The largest mass-murderer in US history at the time was caught because a cop "had nothing better to do" and was doing exactly what he should be doing and exactly what he gets paid to do.

There is so much trouble in the world. It was about 9 o'clock at night...in a crime filled area of town...and all he's worried about are my stupid tags- which you could still see the top (AND THE DAMN COLOR which proved what year and month they were eligible for).

I completely lose respect for policemen when they do stuff like that. I think it makes them look incredibly ridiculous.

Needless to say, I DID NOT get a ticket. But, what I DID get, was an even more loss of respect for our "superiors". Where'd all the good, noble cops go?

You are just biased. The good, noble cops are the ones stopping you. And 3/4 of the time it's just you. 1/4 of the time, they are stopping all those big, mean, scary bad-asses who are in prison. And the only way for us to tell the difference is to stop the car and see who's driving. The murderers, rapists, drug dealers, etc - they don't put a freaking sign on the side of their car announcing what they just did.

But you never thought of that. You would prefer to complain and trash-talk cops in general because you were inconvenienced for a few minutes.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Tim McVeigh was caught because of a tag violation. The largest mass-murderer in US history at the time was caught because a cop "had nothing better to do" and was doing exactly what he should be doing and exactly what he gets paid to do.

You are just biased. The good, noble cops are the ones stopping you. And 3/4 of the time it's just you. 1/4 of the time, they are stopping all those big, mean, scary bad-asses who are in prison. And the only way for us to tell the difference is to stop the car and see who's driving. The murderers, rapists, drug dealers, etc - they don't put a freaking sign on the side of their car announcing what they just did.

But you never thought of that. You would prefer to complain and trash-talk cops in general because you were inconvenienced for a few minutes.

Thanks for letting the action of one individual invade my rights.

You are biased as well, but your head is to far up your *** to see it

The same way you as a LEO just posted that the majority dont put up a sign, neither do prick cops.

Pipeless416
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Do you have any way of proving that what he witnessed or expierenced is false?

probable cause :devil:

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ben300
Question:

Answer: they all retired and the and all the ****ty ppl from our generations are now becoming the police

No - they're still out there, doing their jobs. Getting no respect from you.

THIS IS JUST THIS YEAR SO FAR (http://odmp.org/year.php)

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
probable cause :devil:

No, its the "I am a LEO and have the expierence to decide what I think you did " that continually beats out a private citizens rights.

jcs003
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
pappy, is correct. you have to have probable cause to search someones vehicle or their property at all for that matter.

something must be in plain view to provoke a search without consent. i.e. drugs, open alcohol containers and etc. (escabito v. ohio). a moving violation is not probable cause for a vehicle search.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
No - they're still out there, doing their jobs. Getting no respect from you.

Respect is earned, not given and it s not a blanket that is placed over any one group.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 01:00 PM

or that other thing that happens at certain times of the month, you could have just gotten the short end of the stick

take it to court, whats the worst that could happen?
you have to pay it anyway;)

I'm not sensing the "I hate cops" vibe here. Weird. Maybe only second post of this page that I got this vibe.

But the vast majority of departments have no quota at all. I know of not one single agency (and I talk to a lot more cops than anyone here I bet) that actualy has a policy that their cops have to go out and write X number of tickets. Not one.

And at my agency, I can go out and not write a single traffic ticket all year, and nobody will say a word.

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
So your assumption is that he was just screwing with you? Think about this: is there any chance that there was any other sort of crime committed in your location, and your vehicle matched the description?

Before I go on reading the foam at the mouth you've presented me thus far, let me inform you...THAT THERE IS NO OTHER TRUCK IN THIS TOWN THAT EVEN REMOTELY COMES CLOSE TO THE WAY MY TRUCK LOOKS. AND THE WINDOWS WERE *DOWN*.

Yes. He was as you say "screwing" with me. Is there any other reason for a cop to pull up next to me, speed up, slow down and get behind me, then get in the other lane, speed up, slow down and get BACK behind me for the third time? He was deliberately trying to find SOMETHING wrong. Plain and simple: he was bored.

Don't try to condone the wrongings of your fellow "superiors".

I don't know if anyone has informed you yet or not: but, your holier than thou attitude blows.

jcs003
04-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Respect is earned, not given and it s not a blanket that is placed over any one group.

very true. the fact of the matter is, the police work for us. (the citizens) we did not force the police to take their position, they chose to be police.

the amount of police corruption in this country is what turned us against law enforcement, not any generation particulars.

Pipeless416
No, its the "I am a LEO and have the expierence to decide what I think you did " that continually beats out a private citizens rights.

exactly, except i meant it as hes just pulling the PC card, accusing the OP of being a liar because he was the one being accused by a police officer.. that automatically eliminates any credibility he has i guess. i was trying to keep it nice, but i am so sick of having cops tailgating me to the point where i cant even see their headlights. there is absolutely no need to try to force a mistake out of me just because i am the only one on the road. i didn't know that being the only target around justifies that type of behavior. however, next town over.. no problems like that. i just don't understand.

SPDSNYPR
Originally posted by Rastus
Never EVER consent to a search of your car, if they can't see what they need to see from the window then they will have to get a warrant. It WILL make them more suspicious, but they don't have the right to, so why surrender your rights away?

Best thing to do when stopped is have your dome light on with the windows down, the person pulling you over will be alittle more comfortable if they can see you and inside the car. I have only encountered nice LEOs myself, but there is always differences between city/county/state patrol. Be polite and do things when they ask for it, don't go searching in your car unless they ask you for reg. or DL. If you aren't looking at a big infraction then most likely you wont get a ticket if you follow this.

This is sound advice. All of it.

scuzz
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Um..what does LEO mean?

Pipeless416
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
SPDSNYPR- i think all of us understand where you're coming from, but the fact is that there are good cops, and there are bad cops. people tend to post their "bad cop" experiences and leave out their good cop experiences. as tax payers, we expect officers with a good head between their shoulders that can continually make good decisions. without being there, how can you possibly assume that the cops are never at fault? there are both good and bad public works workers, social workers, teachers, CEOs, salesmen, and doctors. why is it so impossible to believe that there might be a few bad cops. we are not attacking all LEOs, just the ones that abuse their powers, have terrible attitudes for no reason, and infringe on the rights of undeserving citizens.

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Um..what does LEO mean?

Law Enforcement Officer

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
SPDSNYPR- i think all of us understand where you're coming from, but the fact is that there are good cops, and there are bad cops. people tend to post their "bad cop" experiences and leave out their good cop experiences. as tax payers, we expect officers with a good head between their shoulders that can continually make good decisions. without being there, how can you possibly assume that the cops are never at fault? there are both good and bad public works workers, social workers, teachers, CEOs, salesmen, and doctors. why is it so impossible to believe that there might be a few bad cops. we are not attacking all LEOs, just the ones that abuse their powers, have terrible attitudes for no reason, and infringe on the rights of undeserving citizens.

This is sound advice. All of it.

SPDSNYPR
04-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for letting the action of one individual invade my rights.

You are biased as well, but your head is to far up your *** to see it

The same way you as a LEO just posted that the majority dont put up a sign, neither do prick cops.

I think you have just proved my statement in my original post better than I could ever have.

I have started to reply to things that I perceived as incorrect or outright lies. I have tried to give some perspective of someone who actually knows what a LEO (law enforcement officer) does/does not do based on actual experience. You just have just reverted to name-calling.

What surprises me is how level-headed you normally seem, but when the subject of cops come up you immediately get your hackles up and revert to name-calling. Something that I do not believe you would allow anywhere else based on your TOS.

But if you are talking about a cop, it's OK.

But I'm sure you can convince yourself that you are be objective and reasonable somehow.

Somehow, somewhere "the cops" pissed you off, and you are absolutely biased against them. I guess it's your website, and you can do what you want. But you don't have a realistic perspective on what LEO's do or why they do it. You say I'm a prick based upon me defending people in my line of work and my profession in general - just like you likely defend ATV riders against those who trash-talk them as being a bunch of drunk red-necks.

But here, when it's you doing the exact same thing, it's OK.

Pappy - sorry to see that you are like that. I really thought you to be a pretty reasonable, responsible guy. Go look at my posts (all of them - every one that I have posted during the entire time I've been here) and look at how you have talked about LE here. See if you can really say who you think is being the bad guy.

Hey - since nobody is actually listening to WHAT I'm saying and are upset about WHO is saying it - I'm out on this one.

If someone has an actual question about what we really do and doesn't want to just trash talk all cops, by all means IM me if I'm still a member of this site and am not banned.

400ex28
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
most cops are dicks but there are a handful that i have met that were actually really cool. I actually ride quads with my neighbor and he is a Sheriff.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Prove your statement? I merely responded to the information you provided. Ofcourse, once again your LEO so we cant question your judgement or line of thinking...silly citizens..what were we thinking. (see superior attitude complex)

Name calling? Murderers, rapists and citizens lumped together for the common good...stating that a prick cop doesnt have a sign announcing they happen to be a prick isnt name calling, its stating the obvious. No where did I equate any name calling to apply to every LEO that walks the street or was it directed at you, it was a generalization based on a hypothetical . (swinging in the dirt gets you sent back to dugout.)

If your refering to a citizen, as long as your LEO I can assume that desparaging remarks are ok correct? (Sorry chief, you want to sling mud, we can to)

I am very objectionable and very reasonable. Maybe you should re-read my advice regarding how to treat LEO's when you have to have contact with one (Do you need a drug sniffing dog to find the facts or are you winging it?) Informing people that they have and should excercise thier rights is in no way anti LEO. Infact, as I have stated before, any LEO that feels people shouldnt excercise those rights has issues with what being a police officer is about, this aint the Shield and the law abiding citizens of this country have a duty to have thier rights upheld.

No where did I call you a prick, more assumptions on your part. Merely a response to keep us on equal footing seeing you assume we are all rapists murderes and terrorists. I think there is a slight possability that there may be a few pricks on teh force dont you? (Rodney King was beaten by brothers in blue, does that make us think all cops are brutal or were justified in thier actions? Ofcourse not, and the same applies to citizens)

You will not find me defending those in our sport that do wrong, in fact you will see me go against the grain time and time again when people do bad things. I dont defend them just because we share a common sport, but rather view the issues from right and wrong. You on the other hand entered this topic slinging dirt, spouting names and vilifying anyone who has a view of a LEO that doesnt portray them as the LoneRanger. You used the term "Likely" because your making another assumption about me. You have no clue what I stand for nor what I believe in, so you try your best to make things up.

Your pity party has started I geuss, since you were proven wrong, called out for exactly what you appear to be and now
want me to be the shoulders to bear the weight of your problems. Its ok, I can handle it.

And yes, I have had 3 run in's with police officers in my 39 years on this earth that were not positive encounters. Two of those led to the officers involved recieving letters of repremand and were forced to issue me a written apology for thier actions. My record is spotless, I respect and obey the law, and I expect for LEO's to treat me with the respect I show them and respect my rights. This did not sway my opinion of good officers, just showed me there are atleast 3 that arent.

Ill be lookig for your next picture of your departments armorment, or you cache of weaponry or maybe another photo of you hiding in the grass playing sniper with your boots hanging out. There are good cops out there, maybe you are one of them, but from what I see, you have some issues that extend beyond some kid on this site having a dim view of his involvement with a LEO. This site obviously has some merit for you to share the things I just posted about, yet its worthless when it comes to discussing an issue such as this.

What say you?

Here is a search on this site using my user name and police. Feel free to read through them and see if you think I am against Law Enforcement in any way that isnt invoving an issue that has a LEO stepping on the rights of citizens. I dont need to read them I know how I feel, but just to prove that the LEO involved in this thread needs to think before he makes assumptions....here she be.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2109505&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

jcs003
04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I think you have just proved my statement in my original post better than I could ever have.

I have started to reply to things that I perceived as incorrect or outright lies. I have tried to give some perspective of someone who actually knows what a LEO (law enforcement officer) does/does not do based on actual experience. You just have just reverted to name-calling.

What surprises me is how level-headed you normally seem, but when the subject of cops come up you immediately get your hackles up and revert to name-calling. Something that I do not believe you would allow anywhere else based on your TOS.

But I'm sure you can convince yourself that you are be objective and reasonable somehow.

Somehow, somewhere "the cops" pissed you off, and you are absolutely biased against them. I guess it's your website, and you can do what you want. But you don't have a realistic perspective on what LEO's do or why they do it. You say I'm a prick based upon me defending people in my line of work and my profession in general - just like you likely defend ATV riders against those who trash-talk them as being a bunch of drunk red-necks.

Pappy - sorry to see that you are like that. I really thought you to be a pretty reasonable, responsible guy. Go look at my posts (all of them - every one that I have posted during the entire time I've been here) and look at how you have talked about LE here. See if you can really say who you think is being the bad guy.

Hey - since nobody is actually listening to WHAT I'm saying and are upset about WHO is saying it - I'm out on this one.

If someone has an actual question about what we really do and doesn't want to just trash talk all cops, by all means IM me if I'm still a member of this site and am not banned.

as a cop you should know the facts of the law. you are expressing opinion opinion and not being objective as well. you need to be more accurate with your statements to solidify your point.

the laws are always up to interpertation and law enforcement is always under scrutinity. this being said, lowers your credibility. more cases are lost due to police incompotence than anything else. keep this in mind during your next arrest.

as for the stereotype of ATV riders being rednecks. this is the first i ever heard of this. ATV enthusists are worldwide and people from all walks of life enjoy it, so keep those derogatory slurs to yourself.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 04:41 PM

as for the stereotype of ATV riders being rednecks. this is the first i ever heard of this. ATV enthusists are worldwide and people from all walks of life enjoy it, so keep those derogatory slurs to yourself.

He was trying to draw a comparision between people calling police officers names and then tried to draw a line between his actions with regards to defending police officers with the likelyhood of me doing the same against someone calling atvriders drunken rednecks, he wasnt calling atv'rs drunken rednecks.. I elaborated on my response because there are drunken rednecks in our sport just like there are prick cops out there. I can acknowledge that fact, he has a problem seeing it from behind his dark mirrrored glasses:blah:

See, I dont wear any brand of glasses, it makes for a clearer picture when the view is clouded:o :cool:

And once more incase Farver doesnt get it, I am not against LE...but I am 100% against LEO's that violate citizens rights.

BTW..here is the oldest post I can find searching for any of my responces to Police, its from July of 2002

Yes...the one thing that will tweak a cops *** is a person that truly knows his rights. I dont mean a smart *** spouting off about this and that but someone who knows the law. I am both a VERY BIG SMARTASS and I know a little bout the law. I pulled into a burger king one night because my car was running hot. This person came over and jumped in my rear with both feet. I basicly told him he could lick sack and headed for the door. He then informs me he is an off duty police officer. So I request to see his badge...when he cant display it I call the real police and they cited him for a bunch of stuff about immersonating a police officer. Do not take bull from anyone if you are in the right. If you dont stand up for your rights no one else will. Just pick your battles well....

The man that jumped my rear end was a Security Gaurd and assumed that because I was driving a built Mustang with a roll cage that I was up to trouble.

Seems my view on my rights hasn't changed a lick. And this was posted before I was a moderator or had any internal dealings with the site. I have always advocated following the law and being respectful, even when the LEO deserves a kick in the jimmies.....your time and place for seeking justice is not in a confrontation with an officer, it comes before a judge or other form of justice. A badge doesnt make one judge and jury, no matter how bad they wish it would.

jcs003
04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
i knew what he said. his implication was what my response was refering to. he was trying to justify defending police of weak character by stating you would defend an ATV rider who is a derilict.

i tend to read between the lines.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Ahhh well, see I didnt take it as an implication, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt :p In either view, he is wrong:p

jcs003
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Ahhh well, see I didnt take it as an implication, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt :p In either view, he is wrong:p

yes sir, it seems this man has an obtuse outlook on the subject. the truth is "he can't handle truth" to quote a popular movie.

we are citizens. and in my city, we have a citizen review board that are the final say in a police officers disiplinary action for brutality corruption etc. so in the end we do know what we are talking about.

Warnerade
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM

If someone has an actual question about what we really do and doesn't want to just trash talk all cops, by all means IM me if I'm still a member of this site and am not banned. http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

Bryson#221
04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
ROTFL :D :D :D

JForestZ34
04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
exactly, except i meant it as hes just pulling the PC card, accusing the OP of being a liar because he was the one being accused by a police officer.. that automatically eliminates any credibility he has i guess. i was trying to keep it nice, but i am so sick of having cops tailgating me to the point where i cant even see their headlights. there is absolutely no need to try to force a mistake out of me just because i am the only one on the road. i didn't know that being the only target around justifies that type of behavior. however, next town over.. no problems like that. i just don't understand.

Well in this situation I think a BRAKE CHECK is in order... Oh sorry officer a dog ran out in front of me.. LOL...

Most of them think they are above the law.. Just watch them drive when they are not going to an emergency call..

James

SRH
04-17-2009, 09:21 PM
cops for the most part all have a dramatic personality flaw IMO, not saying every cop, Just the majority of the ones who pull you over for nonsense or a borderline offense. they all demand power and respect and they feel that by becoming a police officer they are free to do as they please with no one being higher up on the totem pole than them, but i dont know who they think there fooling, you cant walk up to my window with an attitude and demand i treat you like the hand of god and vice versa

there are alot of passive ways to frustrate the cop, i know when he walks up to my window whether im getting a ticket or not regardless of whether i was doing anything wrong, i guess i get a bit of satisfaction from making a insecure police officer feel frustrated by me not fully acknowledging his authority

i had one cop, clearly wrong, the stopping point to this intersection was roughly 100 ft from the light to allow trucks to pass without interference from cars at the light, anyway, i cross the line, light is green, changes to yellow and then red before i full exit the intersection.....where was i to stop??? not to mention from his point of view he could not see the stopping point, anyway he gives me a ticket for running a red, he comes back with the ticket like a dick and says maybe next time u wont run lights....so i say naw, u cant give me that .....anyway he told me i was under arrest..... haha

but my point is pick your battles....judge the cop your dealing with and weigh the importance of pride vs wallet

ive met alot of good cops...but some just power trip, i look at the situation as is this self satisfaction worth the cost to my wallet:blah:

Pappy
04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
^ And you wonder why some cops are pricks!:tired: :devil:

hypersnyper6947
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Today i went riding at a new spot, it is where they were gonna build a neighborhood but decided not to, so its all dirt and sand. There were no NO TRESPASING signs. We were out there for about 30min and a cop showed up, we were all like crap there goes our fun, then he pulled up and just asked if it was our first time out there, we said yes and he said alright have fun and drove off. How awesome is that, we were not destroying any of the nice grass out there just being respectful and riding the dirt. Anyways just though i would share my good encounter with the police.

bonds0033
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey guys I don't get to post on here very often but I d like reading the posts and normally a thread can't keep my attention for 8 pages but this one has. I understand where most of you are coming from with your run ins wit prick cops because I've had a few in my day. But also there is alot of people here just b*tching, which you are totally entitled to do.

But the one underlying theme I have noticed in everyone's responses is that every one of you did in fact break the law. And if you guys want you can call me another prick LEO (not a cop) but you all really have no idea what it entales to have a job like that. And 3 years ago I had no idea either and probably would of had some similiar stories to tell like most of you.

If anyone wants to have a real open discussion on the topic I'm all for it, and can hopefully help shed a little light. But I do agree there are a lot of a**hole cops out there, but there are a**holes everywhere and we all have to deal with em.

Sorry if this is tough to read but I have 100 things running through my head after reading all the posts. And I do really enjoy this site, keep the opinions coming.

jcs003
04-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by bonds0033
Hey guys I don't get to post on here very often but I d like reading the posts and normally a thread can't keep my attention for 8 pages but this one has. I understand where most of you are coming from with your run ins wit prick cops because I've had a few in my day. But also there is alot of people here just b*tching, which you are totally entitled to do.

But the one underlying theme I have noticed in everyone's responses is that every one of you did in fact break the law. And if you guys want you can call me another prick LEO (not a cop) but you all really have no idea what it entales to have a job like that. And 3 years ago I had no idea either and probably would of had some similiar stories to tell like most of you.

If anyone wants to have a real open discussion on the topic I'm all for it, and can hopefully help shed a little light. But I do agree there are a lot of a**hole cops out there, but there are a**holes everywhere and we all have to deal with em.

Sorry if this is tough to read but I have 100 things running through my head after reading all the posts. And I do really enjoy this site, keep the opinions coming.

not everyone that posted divulged a personal experience of police harassment. some have stated reasons why some police are "pricks."

reread the thread, you may have missed some important statements.

bonds0033
04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Ya I read them all and in no way am I saying that there aren't cops out there that are pricks. Because I have had run ins with them on a professional basis as well as a non professional basis. But being the bigger man will always work out better for you.

JForestZ34
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
By you mean being a bigger man is letting them walk all over your rights... Or them harass you, tailgate, or try to force you to make a mistake so they can pull you over..

I wonder how many ticket's some officer would have if we could give them tickets for the way they drive when they are not responding to an emergency call.. Even better the way they drive in there own car.. NOT ALL COPS ARE LIKE THIS.. There are more that drive this way than one's that don't... I was in a traffic accident( I was rearended) and when I called the police station I told them everybody was fine it was just cosmetic damage on the cars, and I just wanted a police report for insurance reasons... Anyway the officer that responded was hauling *** thorugh the center of town,, speed limit was 25, and I know for a FACT that he was going over 50.. Now is that safe???? I know he was responding to a accident, but it was WITHOUT injury... I just think that is a little excessive.....

James

bonds0033
04-20-2009, 02:36 AM
I can't speak about your personal incident but I know that before a officer makes a stop he is going to run your plate, which means unless you have a mint condition unobstructed plate he is going to have to get very close to you to obtain it.

And any responsible officer is not going to "walk all over your rights", and if by this you mean the consent to search which has been referred to several times. Where you are completely right if you don't want an officer to look in your trunk you shouldn't consent, but also that can be used to raise the officer's suspicion.

But I am starting to get the feeling that this is a losing argument, and that there is no way for me to try and convince anyone. But I do understand where you guys are coming from and I know I respect someone who can stand behind their beliefs, and voice it.

wilkin250r
04-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
speed limit was 25, and I know for a FACT that he was going over 50..

Every job has it's perks and it's drawbacks.

I once heard a story of an officer that had to watch a little child burn to death in a car, because he couldn't get in and save her. That poor man had to be tortured with that mental image the rest of his life, because you know he saw it over and over again in his nightmares.

But hey, he got to drive fast. That's a bonus, right? Totally worth it. I'm tired of being late for appointments, where do I sign up?