PDA

View Full Version : I need Mechanical help

Badmammajamma
04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I need Mechanical help
I got myself in a pickle. I was changing the front differential fluid on my 4 wheeler and ran into a problem. When tightening the drain plug bolt at the bottom, I overtightened it and snapped the head off. about 3/4 of the bolt remains in the hole and it's about 1/8" recessed in the hole. I bought an extractor but it was un-successful because when I tried to drill the pilot hole, the drillbit just turned the bolt screwing it further into the hole. I super-glued a nail with a round head to the bolt and was able to turn it out a little bit but it got to a point where that's no longer working. Its a small bolt (10mm) so I don't have a lot of room to work with. Is there any kind of tool that will dig into the remaining piece of the bolt while the drill is in reverse? Thanks in advance guys

Pappy
04-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Left handed drill bit might work seeing it isnt seized(proper sized bolt extractor:p )

Robin Hood
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe drill a pilot hole w/ a small drill bit then use an extractor bit to get it out.

wvspeedfreak
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Left handed drill bit might work seeing it isnt seized(proper sized bolt extractor:p )

^^^What he said ^^^