PDA

View Full Version : HELP just dropped Eton 70cc at dealer

vindell
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Dropped eton 70 viper at scotts powersports, a local multi bike franchise that is a authorized eton dealer , Thinking of having a stock eton 70 top end kit installed (piston , cylinder, ring's) the kit is gonna cost 170 or so. Plus $200.00 to install. Not sure if you read earlier thread or not, however my compression is low at 80lbs. Quoted $200.00 for the rings only, Do I go with stock or do I go with performance stuff.
in the future would like to get a pipe, some clutch work, and a larger carb. New to this forum, getting alot of great advise, someday I'll be giving the same advice to new members, gotta
love alot of people with advice ! lol. Seriously, thank's for your help

Nichols Atvs
04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I forget are you racing or just for fun , If its just for fun get your self the two gaskets and rings hone the cylinder and put it together and go riding . If your racing alltogether different story. thats when you look at perfomance parts .

marsrace2
04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
that sounds like alot for the labor, if you can turn a wrench you can do it yourself.

etondaddy
04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
We can walk you through it it's not that hard. I'll send you my ball hone. You can ring it your self for less than $30.00

Mike Kozura

riding4fun
04-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Do it yourself. 2 years ago when I started with mi ni quads I had never worked on any engine before. With the help on this forum I did it with no problems. Looking back it was easy. You can do it.

vindell
04-15-2009, 07:40 AM
gonna do the work myself, must i hone the cylinder?

riding4fun
04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Sounds like you just need a piston and ring, or maybe even just a ring.

Did the shop say the cylinder was damaged?

etondaddy
04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by vindell
gonna do the work myself, must i hone the cylinder?
Honing the cyl. helps the new rings seat. You need to get it apart and see what you got first.

Mike Kozura

Arctic Cat Dad
04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Where do they get $200 for labor. This job don't take 1 hr if you take your time. Once you have done it it only takes a half hour. It's really easy to do. We can walk you thru it. You will need a toque wrench to put it back together.I myself like to cross hatch the cylinder. Some hone it. I take 1000 grit wet sanding paper (dry) and just set the paper in the cylinder and twist it lightly one way to you see little circular lines going down thru the cylinder and then I reverse the motion the other way. We do the same thing to our dirt car motors.

And $170 for parts. You can get a complete cylinder kit with new cylinder from Hetrick for that price. And it will be a better cylinder.

If you need any help PM me . Heck if you lived close I'd do it for free just so the little one could ride. We can get you thru it It's VERY EASY. Heck there are only a few bolts that hold it on.

I will say 1 thing. When you start to put the engine back together,before you put the piston back on and fool with the c-clips. ALWAYS stuff sone papertowels around the connecting rod. So you don't drop the c-clip down in the engine or get any dirt in the engine.

Once you've done it once you can do it in less then 45 minutes.

etondaddy
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I put one clip in the piston put the piston in the cly. on the bench start the rist pin in the other side slide the hole thing on hold the rod up with your finger line it up and push in the rist pin. Then you only have one clip to put in. Please don't pay that dude all that scratch........:huh we'll help you.

Mike Kozura

Arctic Cat Dad
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
That's how I do it. Alot faster that way and easy to do.I can't believe some1 would try to rip you off like that. It's a very simple job. Heck I've done it at the track before and race it minutes later.

In fact one of the best engines I put together was broke in in full race mode. Got it together and started it for about 3 minutes and raced it. That piston and ring lasted the most races then if you break it in like they say to.

etondaddy
04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
We never broke them in....... were's this dude from I'll do it for the price of the parts.

H*ll you can get a 70cc airsal kit for $209.00 and the ak47 for $450.00 from Rich Hetrick.

Mike Kozura

vindell
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
me again, dealer decided they would do a compression check, they tell me its fine, said the carb needs cleaning, only 160.00.
this place seems a little nut's. Is the carb circuit as she saiid I think. hard to clean ? Had the carb apart one time, did notice the float bowl gasket was broken, could this be an issue. doas not leak.

marsrace2
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
easy, do it yourself. For the money they want you could upgrade to a bigger carb and intake.

vindell
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
can ya give me some instructions

riding4fun
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
What kind of carb do you have?

vindell
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
not sure, stock carb.

etondaddy
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by vindell
me again, dealer decided they would do a compression check, they tell me its fine, said the carb needs cleaning, only 160.00.
this place seems a little nut's. Is the carb circuit as she saiid I think. hard to clean ? Had the carb apart one time, did notice the float bowl gasket was broken, could this be an issue. doas not leak.
You tell these people thanks but NO thanks. Pick it up and take it home............ We can walk you through cleaning the carb it's no big deal. WOW these dudes are rip offs......get it the h*ll out of there. You may have to pay them there shop rate for taking the comp. test. It only takes 5 min.

Mike Kozura

vindell
04-16-2009, 03:21 PM
ok got carb off, where do I begin

etondaddy
04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Were are you from if you give me your phone number I'll walk you through it.

Mike Kozura

04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I sent you a pm a few days ago.

vindell
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
just got done cleaning every orafice of carb, ran it up the street, pretty late, rane strong then seemed to die out, no air cleaner on at the time, set the air mix screw at 1 1/2 then tuned till highest rpm. started over, then re-adjusted for max rpm. Will it run w/o shutting down with air cleaner on. definetely sounded crisper after cleaning.