PDA

View Full Version : Help Eton at dealer

vindell
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Dropped eton 70 viper at scotts powersports, a local multi bike franchise that is a authorized eton dealer , Thinking of having a stock eton 70 top end kit installed (piston , cylinder, ring's) the kit is gonna cost 170 or so. Plus $200.00 to install. Not sure if you read earlier thread or not, however my compression is low at 80lbs. Quoted $200.00 for the rings only, Do I go with stock or do I go with performance stuff.
in the future would like to get a pipe, some clutch work, and a larger carb. New to this forum, getting alot of great advise, someday I'll be giving the same advice to new members, gotta
love alot of people with advice ! lol. Seriously, thank's for your help.

TeamNeilson
04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Never a better time to do the work yourself, if you are going stock :)

Save yourself the $200 dollar install.

Rebuilding the top end of a 2 stroke is definitely one of the easier tasks you'll do on them :)

To speak to your question directly.. For me, I had to ask myself what I planned on doing with the ATV.. Trail ride or Race.. If my son planned to trail ride it, then I kept it stock as the more performance you go, the more finicky they become. If you want to race it, well then the sky is the limit.
If you make any changes to one, you do impact others like clutching.. The installer you get to do the work best know a LOT about clutching these mini motor's or you'll be left quite frustrated (i spent almost all of last years racing season beating my head against a wall). We've got people on the board that I trust due to what i've seen or what I've been told from other very reputable performance guys.

It's also so easy to pull the motor, put it in a shipping crate and send it to someone like Marc at Hot Quads and he'll send you back something that'll really rip!

vindell
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
well dealer decided to give quad a compression check, they tell me its fine, however, dirty carb circuit? they want 160.00 to clean it, not sure but this sounds almost as crazy as 200.00 to change rings. please let me know how to clean the carb myself

elliotsthunder
05-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Well, first the obvious, remove the carb from the bike. If you've never done it before, be methodical...number each hose and screw with masking tape if you have too.

Then, have ample amounts of carb cleaner on hand. I usually fill up a bowl that will allow me to submerge the carb in cleaner. Then leave it overnite if the carb is really nasty, otherwise a couple of hours should do the trick.

Next, start removing things like the carb bowl, pay attention how it comes apart. Check your floats to see if there is any random contaminants inside them, and make sure they move freely up and down. Blow air through the gas inlet and push the floats upwards, that should cut off the flow to the gas.

When removing jets, screw the jet "in" and count how many turns it takes before the jet becomes lightly seated. Write these numbers down (their easy to forget). pull the jets out and spray cleaner in the holes, spray all the little passages and blow through them to make sure they're clear.

Once the carb looks brand new inside and out...reinstall. Be careful inserting the slide, the needle valve can wiggle around sometimes and get bent if forced.

That should do the trick.