PDA

View Full Version : Revalved 450r shocks vs Elkas

04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Which would be better for a trail rider?

I would revalve and respring the 450r shocks or buy some elka rec shocks (new) or some used elkas with rezzies.

Thanks

brodzowski
04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I've been gathering research on this question myself because it gets asked alot and as far as I can tell, the popular opinion is the reworked 450s. I'll let them get into specifics, but that seems to be the trend here.

04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input. Anybody else have anything to say. Why would the 450's be better?

Pipeless416
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
i have never ridden revalved r shocks, so i can't comment on them. however, my brother and i both have elka rec series shocks. his are an xc setup and mine are mx. i love his and im not a huge fan of mine. his soak up everything, and mine seem to always be half way through the travel when landing jumps or going over rough terrain. mine are just not in nearly the same condition has his are, so that could be my problem there... something internal. if i had to do it again i probably would have kept the r shocks i had and sent them to gtt... or hold out for used PEPs or really hold out for used axis fronts. i don't think you'll be disappointed if you go either route, but elka recs are a bit cheaper, unless you get a great deal on the r shocks.

zwark
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 0101
Thanks for the input. Anybody else have anything to say. Why would the 450's be better?

Because they would be revalved specifically to fit you, the way you ride and the terrain you ride instead of valving generally like the manufacturers do.

smithersusmc
04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Here is my opinion, and strictly that.

I race my first GNCC with stock 400ex shocks. I couldn't turn and I couldn't go wide open. So horrible I could not explain.

2nd race I had stock 450R($200) shocks up front and stock rear. I could turn and I could go about 3/4 throttle until the back end started bucking so bad I would have to slow down.

Sent shocks to GT Thunder($740 plus shipping) now I can turn and go wide open with no problems.

So in short you can spend about $1000 give or take a little, and have a good setup on a budget.

That is the route I went because I could not see spending $1200 to $2000 on Elka or any other brand. I am not a pro, but I want the good stuff. If I had the money I would go the Elka, Fox, Axis, or Works route.

It is all about your budget.

Smitty

KrackerG
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
^^^ good info!:)

i just bought a set of 450r shocks for my 400ex, cant wait to try them out. i plan to run them at the stock setting to see how it runs. i ride on nothing but trails...

04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking I would buy a set of 450r shocks ($150) and a set of Works Triple rate springs ($250) and then have them both re-valved ($???). Is this all I would need?

What all would I need done to the rear shock? Re-valve only? Re-valve and re-spring?

Also, It is not possible to re-valve the stock 400ex shocks, correct? If it is possible, is it worth it?

Thanks everybody

smithersusmc
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
The price I showed for GT Thunder includes revalve if needed and springs for all 3 shocks and the rear linkage.

I paid $740 for all three shocks and the linkage.
$21 for UPS shipping there and GT Thunder charged $30 for shipping back to me. They had my shocks for 12 days. You have to fill out the form on their website and put it in the box with your shocks. You will be able to see the status of your parts on the service tab on the web page.

Smitty

zrpilot
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I have to agree the 450R re-valved are a better shock for the $$$.

UNLESS GT Thunder is still making the HLS shock, then I think the HLS shock is better then both!!!

Your mileage may vary!

mitchamus
04-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I had 450R shocks, I talked to GT thunder and works about getting them dialed in for my 400EX both companies told me they were not meant for the 400ex the shafts need to be cut down etc etc.. I weighed 200lbs and they were stiff for me. They are better then stock 400ex shocks. If your going to spend 400 bucks for shocks and new springs might as well go with a set of works or elka that were made for your 400ex and your riding style.

n811
04-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I have 450r shocks with GT Thunder spring kit. After 2 years of riding I'm still trying to get them to feel good. Stiff is a good word. I have the rebound set all of the way soft. And the compression set fast. I believe this would be the "softest" setting. To compress fast then rebound a bit slow to keep it from feeling bouncy. I've been working on the settings to the point of....I dont think I like them???

04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by n811
I have 450r shocks with GT Thunder spring kit. After 2 years of riding I'm still trying to get them to feel good. Stiff is a good word. I have the rebound set all of the way soft. And the compression set fast. I believe this would be the "softest" setting. To compress fast then rebound a bit slow to keep it from feeling bouncy. I've been working on the settings to the point of....I dont think I like them???
Did you have them revalved too?