fibers disk and springs
any help is great
new to this clutch thing
local shop wants 200 bones to fix it
seemed lil steep to me
please help thanks

Pipeless416
04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
just get a new gasket and a new clutch kit with HD springs. problem solved. i just did this except i ended up needing a new basket, as the flanges were grooved pretty badly. i went with an EBC dirt digger clutch kit. kind of regret not going with stock..

n811
04-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
[B. i went with an EBC dirt digger clutch kit. kind of regret not going with stock.. [/B]

I have been told that the honda clutch is the best. Is that what you mean? Are you feeling a difference?

NacsMXer
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by n811
I have been told that the honda clutch is the best. Is that what you mean? Are you feeling a difference?

It's the Honda plates that are the best, they last the longest.

Everything else about the Honda clutch (springs, basket, pressure plate, inner hub) can be improved upon greatly with aftermarket parts :p :o

Wheelie
04-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Nacs hit the nail on the head. Get OE fibers and steels with an aftermarket basket--preferably Hinson.

Pipeless416
04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks for clarifying nacs. i wish i would have gone with stock fibers and hd springs. i went with a performance engineering basket.. basically the exact same thing has a hinson, but $80 less. the quality and durability of this basket amazes me :eek2:

NacsMXer
04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
thanks for clarifying nacs. i wish i would have gone with stock fibers and hd springs. i went with a performance engineering basket.. basically the exact same thing has a hinson, but $80 less. the quality and durability of this basket amazes me :eek2:

Get the OEM plates the next go around. The EBC's aren't "bad" plates, they just might not hold up as well as stockers in the long run.

Yeah, a lot better baskets to choose from nowadays. Hinson used to be the only one a few years ago. I just replaced my clutch not too long ago and was amazed when I inspected the Hinson basket. Not a groove, not a scratch, looked pristine. Way better than the cast aluminum stock one.

n811
04-15-2009, 07:24 AM
So, What are the symptoms of the basket wearing "grooves"? and what are the gains of a better basket? Is it durability or is is power gains? I still have the stock clutch from an 02' 400ex and I dont think I need a clutch but this is my first clutch. Nothing seems to "slip" or "rev out". I do ride hard and trail riding has me shifting alot. The only complaint I might have is at the end of the ride I feel that the clutch hand is pretty tired. Maybe the lever is a bit stiff, is that a symptom?

NacsMXer
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by n811
So, What are the symptoms of the basket wearing "grooves"? and what are the gains of a better basket? Is it durability or is is power gains? I still have the stock clutch from an 02' 400ex and I dont think I need a clutch but this is my first clutch. Nothing seems to "slip" or "rev out". I do ride hard and trail riding has me shifting alot. The only complaint I might have is at the end of the ride I feel that the clutch hand is pretty tired. Maybe the lever is a bit stiff, is that a symptom?

That is a symptom since every time you pull the clutch in, the plates slide across the fingers of the basket. Over time, the clutch plates will chatter little grooves in the fingers. When the plates have to slide over grooves, rather than a smooth surface, you get a tougher clutch pull.

I can't say for sure your clutch pull is tougher due to the basket...it could be a simple as needing a new cable, which is pretty common. But being that you have a stock clutch from 02', i'd be willing to bet your basket has some grooves in it. Mine did when I took it out, and it was very lightly used. The harder you ride, and the more times you replace the clutch plates using the same basket, the deeper the grooves will get. You can smooth them out with sandpaper, but only to a point.

With the better clutch baskets over stock you don't really gain any power from it, but a smoother operating and much more durable clutch.

n811
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. Why are the baskets so expensive? Is it cheaper to just wear out stock ones every couple to few years?