PDA

View Full Version : 450r Problem

250xthunder
04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I've got a problem with my 450 and I thought i'd see if any one here new what might be the problem. It starts right up and idles fine, but when you take off and get over half throttle it starts bogging out. If you run under half throttle it's fine though. I'm prolly gunna tear into it this weekend but I thought i'd see if anyone had any good ideas of what I should look for. Thanks in advance.

jkiserracing
04-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Mine does that every time I forget and put my airbox lid on...its jetted to run without it and i put it on to wash it....

250xthunder
04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Well I just bought the quad probably a week ago and it's been running great. Then my cousin jumped on it and was riding for about five minutes and it started cutting out. It just seems like its getting way too much fuel. If you put on the choke it drowns out and dies. I'm assuming that a jet worked itself loose or somthing. I'm not much of a carb man though. Just thought i'd see if anyone else has had this problem or not.

jkiserracing
04-14-2009, 09:02 AM
yeah it definately sounds like something in the carb/air area.....leave to someone else to tear up our quads huh....lol

250xthunder
04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Well I got it out and messed with the air fuel screw for awhile. Didn't seem to change a whole lot for me. When it's idleing and you flip on the choke, then it dies. Yet when I'm putting around and flip on the choke it will run alittle bit better. It still cuts out eventually, but it runs alittle better??????? I'm lost now. I guess i'll just take the carb apart this weekend and and clean it. we'll see if that works.

k265r
04-14-2009, 10:54 PM
take the bowl off your carb see if the jets are loose. possible carb boot is loose.

250xthunder
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Well I couldn't wait until the weekend so I tore it apart today and there was some gummed up stuff in the main jet. Cleaned it out and sprayed some carb cleaner through it and it runs like a top. Thanks for the help.

zyoung04
04-16-2009, 02:24 AM
friend of mine had one that done the same thing it had dirt in the main jet everytime u would throw the gas to it it would almost throw u over the bars cleaned it out and it fixed it

n811
04-17-2009, 07:24 AM
The 450r carb has a small fuel screen in the fuel line right at the carb. If you had crud in the bowl, then you better check that screen. Probably another fuel filter on the petcock.