PDA

View Full Version : mushroom hunters...find any?

buck440
04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
anybody else find any? so far my and my dad found 3 walmart bags full and yum to the yum yum. THE LEGAL ONES.

Pappy
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Not many look for them here, but Ginsing is quite popular. Ive never hunted for either, 1, to many people around here die from eating the wrong shrooms:p and the Ginsing, well no one has ever taught me what to look for or when to dig it up.

buck440
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
these mushroom's look way different from the poisonous ones and are way easier to spot than ginsing. some of our smaller local stores are paying $50 a pound and just this weekend we had at least 10 lbs so:eek2: we ate most of them but since were finding a lot we can afford to eat'em:D who knew fungis would taste so good:macho

fastredrider44
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
MORELS!!! Been looking, but no luck yet.

rooster300ex
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Last time I seen some of them was about 12 years ago. I was on an oil rig with my dad. I would bring my 300ex that I still have to this day and ride down dirt roads allday. Anyway some indian guy hopped over a fence and went into the woods and came out with half of wal-mart sack full and fried em up in the bunk house after they got off work. Where do you find them. I'm in southern oklahoma and it just got done raining after 2 days.

buck440
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
in this town we find them along the old railroad tracks and in some woods here and there that we've been going to fo years and it's been raining for days here too and it stopped this morning and is now abut 70 so it is the perfect time for them to be out.

mittman
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I sometimes go out with my pap but I havent yet this year.

ZeroLogic
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
The last time I ate wild mushrooms was a did it once never do it again.:chinese:

JJs450r
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
when i read the title i figured someone was gonna have stinky fingers haha i dont think anything grows like that here

cglester
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Molly-Moochers, I think is what alot of people call them. Havent been yet, but will before long. DELICIOUS!!!!

wvspeedfreak
04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Went this evening and found a few.They are just starting to come up here.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/wvspeedfreak/mushrooms.jpg

Pappy
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak

I wish i had a friend that either had extra shrooms or could take a brother out looking for some:ermm:

laeger2fiddyr
04-16-2009, 08:37 PM
god i love morels!!!! my uncle & his buddies find a **** ton every spring & i can usually scam a bag from him!!! they are very protective or should i say secretive about where they hunt them!! haha!!

wvspeedfreak
04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I wish i had a friend that either had extra shrooms or could take a brother out looking for some:ermm:

I'd be happy to take ya.I was lucky to get these.I figure the mad rush is going to start this weekend and I just decided at the last moment this evening to go check one of my spots.
The window of opportunity is pretty small on getting these things.
With the warm temps coming this weekend and the rain we just got....the prime time to find them should be first of the week.
Swing by one evening :)

Pappy
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Will do for sure.

I have to get down there for the inspection thing (man im a procrastinator!) Actually I have just been slammed this week.

Just dont feed me no wacky ones, I tend to use chainsaws and guns when im freaked out:devil: :blah:

wvspeedfreak
04-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Just dont feed me no wacky ones, I tend to use chainsaws and guns when im freaked out:devil: :blah:

Haha,no wacky ones here.Morels only.Have you ever eaten any Kenny?Deer tenderloin with these is about as tasty as it gets.

Mxjunkie
04-17-2009, 05:21 AM
I live in the mushroom capital of the world if anyone want's white and sherokee mushrooms by the truck loads.. :o

The mushroom industry is a strange one, our whole county smells like chicken/horse chit mixed with hay.. :o

Pappy
04-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Haha,no wacky ones here.Morels only.Have you ever eaten any Kenny?Deer tenderloin with these is about as tasty as it gets.

Never wild ones!

brian76708
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
i always search for Morels each year very tasty only bad thing is it seems like you can never get all the sand out of them.

wvspeedfreak
04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
i always search for Morels each year very tasty only bad thing is it seems like you can never get all the sand out of them.

If you are getting them along creeks or rivers it is impossible to get all the sand out of them.The ones that grow in the mountains aren't near as bad.

wvspeedfreak
04-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Never wild ones!

Kenny,if you want to bring your truck over this afternoon I will send you home with enough morels for a meal.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I wish i could Jason, but I have to mow this jungle and get packed for the race:p

wvspeedfreak
04-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh yeah,I forgot this was a race coverage weekend for you.Check in with me the first of next week.I'll hook ya up.

Pappy
04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I intend to hold you to it:p

Yeah ...busy weekend and probaly monday and yiesday as well due to having to do the race coverage for the gncc and they want me to do one fo rthe mx national (they usually just do live coverage) But, I am pretty sure I can sneak away in the afternoon;)

TRXman86
04-19-2009, 04:09 AM
What is everyone finding them by??? I have been out dam near every day for the past week and aint found jack chit!!!! A few people say they have found the little grays, but not this guy.... I normally have a great spot, but after looking over all 70+ acres.... i dont know anymore....

fastredrider44
04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I just found 23. that's alot for around here.:macho

wvspeedfreak
04-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by TRXman86
What is everyone finding them by??? I have been out dam near every day for the past week and aint found jack chit!!!! A few people say they have found the little grays, but not this guy.... I normally have a great spot, but after looking over all 70+ acres.... i dont know anymore....

Around here they grow mostly around poplar trees.What I have found is some years they come up really good and other years they are very scarce.The weather plays a huge part in how well they do.

I went back to look some more this weekend and someone else had been there and cleaned up.

It is almost impossible to find a good place that other people don't know about...and ALOT of people hunt them around here.

buck440
04-19-2009, 07:20 PM
mmmmmmmm i just had mushrooms and steak tonight:p we find so many we just give'm to our neighbors....they grow really good around the johnson farms woods, maby all the grow good stuff in the fields:confused:

chevys&honda$
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/wvspeedfreak/mushrooms.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
emmmmmmmm those look good but they are worth to much to eat, 20-30 bucks a pound around here

TNRHINO
04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
A guy I work with hunts them like crazy. He told me something pretty neat. The water the he soaks them in he will dump out by his garge on the north side of it. Every year where he dumped the water is load with mushrooms. Now after about eight years of doing this he has an area of about 10'x20' LOADED with them. Just some info for you guys.

TNRHINO
04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
A guy I work with hunts them like crazy. He told me something pretty neat. The water the he soaks them in he will dump out by his garge on the north side of it. Every year where he dumped the water is load with mushrooms. Now after about eight years of doing this he has an area of about 10'x20' LOADED with them. Just some info for you guys.