PDA

View Full Version : Another problem

IOWAracer
04-12-2009, 11:14 PM
was out riding the other day and rode for a bit nothing was wrong then all of a sudden i start getting a rattle noise from the motor not a knock but just a rattle sound oil is good clutch is good havent lost any power starts up fine any ideas?

ProspectorJim
04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
How can you tell with these engines?:D

Are you sure it wasn't just the chain hitting off of the chaineguide?

florentino
04-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
was out riding the other day and rode for a bit nothing was wrong then all of a sudden i start getting a rattle noise from the motor not a knock but just a rattle sound oil is good clutch is good havent lost any power starts up fine any ideas? it happens when your revs are low. - lack of low end..

hotshotgoal30
04-13-2009, 06:46 AM
dude me 2. same thing i was out riding this weekend. and my engine started sounding different. nothing major almost like a vibration or similar to an exhaust leak is the best way i can describe it. only i can tell. all my buddys say it sounds fine but i know it sounds different. same thing it starts and runs fine. i honestly have no freakin clue what it is or how to describe it. im hoping the dealership will hear what im talking about and not just say "it sounds normal". im going to have my valves tightned this week just because. maybe it will have something to do with it maybe not.

ProspectorJim
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
dude me 2. same thing i was out riding this weekend. and my engine started sounding different. nothing major almost like a vibration or similar to an exhaust leak is the best way i can describe it. only i can tell. all my buddys say it sounds fine but i know it sounds different. same thing it starts and runs fine. i honestly have no freakin clue what it is or how to describe it. im hoping the dealership will hear what im talking about and not just say "it sounds normal". im going to have my valves tightned this week just because. maybe it will have something to do with it maybe not.

does the whole bike sort of shake when this happens?

hotshotgoal30
04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
haha no im a dumb ***. just like i said it kinda sounded like an exhaust leak. it was! i took it to a different dealer today and i started it up and he was like dude the clamp is loose and missing the bolt. so the clamp was rattling and it was blowing exhaust out. i knew somthing sounded different. but i never thought to check that part of the exhaust. i checked all around the header but never the slip on. wow i felt dumb. oh well they are tightnng the valves. if anyones interested ill let you know if they actually needed to be adjusted or not. i know some people say usually they dont need to be adjusted but i wanted to be sure

IOWAracer
04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
took it to the shop today had them take a listen said it was one of three things cam chain slapping topend or spun the rod bearing motor is out and valve cover is off and its not the cam chaing gonna finish the tear down tomorrow and see what it is and jsut for the smart *****' i know when my chain is smacking and when my motor is F'ed full report tomorrow after i get he head and cylinder off!

IOWAracer
04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Well found out that a piece of clutch that had broken a while back worked its way into the motor causing my crank gear and counter balancer gear to become warped or twisted in some fashion... parts are on order and i have to say the inside of a DS coming from a Machineist is a work of art! my bike has got to have 40-50 hrs. on the motor and i still have cross hatch in the cylinder and the piston has hardly wore!

TNT
04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Well found out that a piece of clutch that had broken a while back worked its way into the motor causing my crank gear and counter balancer gear to become warped or twisted in some fashion... parts are on order and i have to say the inside of a DS coming from a Machineist is a work of art! my bike has got to have 40-50 hrs. on the motor and i still have cross hatch in the cylinder and the piston has hardly wore!

What do you mean by crosshatching in the cyl. I would think thats just one pass with a big cutter into a big billet block, no cross hatching, then a nickle plate...Am I wrong?

Sorry to hear about the clutch. I know you got those new Banshee plates you custom grind but you may want to consider looking at your hub and going to the 09 2009-9 so this don't happen again.

How about one of those magnetic drain plugs, you got one? I cant remember where the oil drain is on the DS but I'd find all kinds of metal shaving there on our YAM, it's pretty good at preventing this sort of thing. Maybe not part of clutch plate too big.

IOWAracer
04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
It was a piece of the old clutch plates but I think I'm goin back to the trusty yfz

Mr. Big Time
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
no bike is trusty....none of them

Aussie_YFZ450
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TNT
What do you mean by crosshatching in the cyl. I would think thats just one pass with a big cutter into a big billet block, no cross hatching, then a nickle plate...Am I wrong?

Sorry to hear about the clutch. I know you got those new Banshee plates you custom grind but you may want to consider looking at your hub and going to the 09 2009-9 so this don't happen again.

How about one of those magnetic drain plugs, you got one? I cant remember where the oil drain is on the DS but I'd find all kinds of metal shaving there on our YAM, it's pretty good at preventing this sort of thing. Maybe not part of clutch plate too big.

The cross hatching on the bore from the honing...

The DS's have magnetic drain plugs on the case.

TNT
04-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Aussie_YFZ450
The cross hatching on the bore from the honing...

The DS's have magnetic drain plugs on the case.

Got it! I was thinking he meant crosshatching from a bull nose cutter & hemstitching.

Aussie_YFZ450
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Got it! I was thinking he meant crosshatching from a bull nose cutter & hemstitching.

Good one:D

IOWAracer
04-28-2009, 09:12 PM
the yfz to me is trusty its been thru hell and back and they still run good and perfect with the right mods and they dont cost a fortune to fix like this can am costs...

TNT
04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
the yfz to me is trusty its been thru hell and back and they still run good and perfect with the right mods and they dont cost a fortune to fix like this can am costs...

Sent you a PM.

mhill157
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I just pulled the motor out on my ds to find a rattling noise. Surprise it came from the clutch area. All the rivets holding the gear on to the hub where worn off, no damage elsewhere luckily. The hub is not cracked as far as I can tell so where can I get it riveted together or dealer only fix.