PDA

View Full Version : DRR - KX60 Conversion

thedeatons
04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey guys... Been a while since I have posted. We have been working on something here, something a few told us was impossible. I bought a 1991 KX60, yanked the engine, and sold the roller. Then I sold off the water cooled 70 DRR engine. Then my friend and I built a new swingarm to hold the KX60 engine with the wonderful help of BRAD LOOMIS. Great guy.

We are nearly done, just trying to finish up some details, and waiting on cables from Motion Pro. We hope to have it going by this next weekend, when we have a sand trip planned to Sand Mt. NV.

Enjoy the pics!

James

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04803Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04804Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04805Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04806Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04807Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04808Small.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC04809Small.jpg

Logan #34's Dad
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Looks good, Ugliest6868 did the same conversion. His looks good too. I'm a little curious as to why you didn't move the upper rear shock mount over toward the middle of the frame which would have put the swingarm mount more centered on the swingarm? I'm in no way being negative, just thinking out loud.
I wish I could still be production legal and mount the regular DRR radiator like that. You think I could call the two braces - gussetts? LOL.

edwardsp&b
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
thats gonna be one fast little machine! looks good so far.
rocky, i would back you up with the gusset idea, im sure if anybody could, you could pull that one off. LMAO
bryan

thedeatons
04-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Thought about moving the shock over. This clears everything better. The carb top is exposed well, the exhaust has room, and I have filter room.... :)

Yep, she will be going from a 7hp CVT to a 13hp shifter.

THARNESS
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Looks like its gonna fly. How are you planning on making the shift lever work, seems like it is pretty far back. Custom lever or mabye some sort of linkage?

BradLoomis
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
James,
It looks GREAT! Thanx for the plug... but you did all of the work, and I don't think I could have done it any better.

As for the shifter, I would just move the nerf bars as back on the lower frame rail as you can. It looks like you should be able to go atleast 4" farther back. Just put the rear plastic and seat on it and have your rider sit on it and you will be able to mark where the foot peg should be able to go.

It looks great.

thedeatons
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks Brad!!!

Regarding the shifter, the KX60 shifter is basically flat plate steel that is bent into an arch, so I am going to weld in an extension. I actually like the placement of the nerfs/pegs right now for her, so I will just extend the shifter today. Gotta extend the kicker out too....

Can you guys take a measurement of the shifter from the peg for me so I know how far out to space it? I assume it is a shorter distance than a full sized quad.... I may go measure a Honda 80 today to verify also...

Brad, notice how we made the bracket for the rear shock. I can loosen the lower shock bolt and slide the shock up in infinite increments. The adjustment arch is the same radius as the shock's length, so when we adjust the shock for different leverage ratios there is no change in ride height, only spring rate changes by adjusting the leverage on the swingarm. Ride height can be adjusted with the preload of the shock... :)

BradLoomis
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
James,
The rear shock mount is probably going to bite into the steel tube that is in the shock mount. If you can open the mount a little, I would place washers inside and on the outside of the shock mount bracket to sandwich the slot and try and disperse the pressure more on the slide slot you machined.

thedeatons
04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Good thinking! I will have to do that after this weekend's dune testing session, before powdercoating....

cheatermtrsprts
04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I built a KX 60 hybrid in a polaris predator about 4 years ago with a double A Arm setup. Man that thing was quick. The class we were running was 90cc max, anything goes. I took advantage of that.
Your quad is looking great. All in all, its not that hard to do. Lets see some more pics!!

thedeatons
08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
This quad is now for sale due to personal and financial reasons.....

We are going to one mini (keeping our other DRR50).

I will be posting more pictures and a price very soon. PM me if you just can't wait....

James

thedeatons
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Okay, here are the details:

2007 DRR DRX2 70cc Water Cooled - Converted to a 1991 KX60 Shifter Quad

You get the dual a-arm design of the 2007, and the nice wide stance. The front end is solid, no leaky shocks or stress fractures.

The quad was ridden exclusively by my seven year old in the sand dunes. Never MX raced, or jumped.

When I installed the KX60 engine I took daily advice from Brad Loomis. He helped me design the swingarm (as well as supply the tubing) and get the engine mounted properly.

The quad is rock solid, and much better now than in stock form. The wheels are square front to back, and the rear end is now wider than stock due to the RPM axle. I have many different sprockets for the rear end that go with the quad. The rear shock is adjustable in the mount also, which helps effectively change the spring rate without changing the ride height. The engine starts up first kick, and runs perfect. Engine is currently jetted for 4000'. FMF header is included, and installed.

The engine runs great, and has an awesome powerband. My seven year old described second gear as "way too fast" in the dunes, which is awesome. Tranny is currently using Red Line Synthetic Tranny Oil, and the premix is 32:1 Red Line. When we bought the KX60 donor bike it had just had a top end rebuild from a Kawi shop in Oregon, so the engine is fresh.

The quad includes dirt tires only, OEM DRR spec. Pretty much everything is OEM DRR, except for the engine of course. The engine uses all OEM Kawasaki parts, including the wiring harness, coil, etc. A 428 conversion rear sprocket was used to mate up to the DRR drivetrain. The chain and sprockets are brand new, with less than two hours on them (2 dune hours).

The swingarm turned out to be a work of art in my opinion. It took a lot of measuring, over and over again. Chromoly and mild steel make up the swingarm, all professionally welded by a good friend of mine. The swingarm uses an eccentric bearing carrier, courtesy of Dave Carter. The billet aluminum carrier is brand new, with 2 dune hours on it. All swingarm pivot bushings and seals are brand new, to go with the new swingarm.

The frame was gussetted (gussets courtesy of Brad Loomis) and the radiator relocated to the middle of the frame for proper weight distribution. With the lighter engine/drivetrain combo this quad is so light in comparison to a standard DRR.... I need to weigh it actually.

Extras included (but not installed) are:
-Extra No-Toil foam filter
-Extra rear sprockets
-Extra laser cut gussets for the frame (if you think they are needed)
-Dave Carter rear brake caliper mounting kit
-New Footbrake assembly

The Bad:
-The rear brake caliper is not yet installed, but is an easy fix. Everything is new, and in the box, ready to go.
-Nothing has been powdercoated yet (frame or swingarm). I wanted to make sure everything was going to work properly before making it pretty. It is all working great, so is ready for powder now, whatever color you choose.
-The carb needs a new float needle gasket (sealing ring). The carb leaks a bit of gas after sitting a while. Less than $20 in parts from Kawasaki or BikeBandit.com.

The quad is black, with all the BRM graphics installed. You can either resticker it or run it as is. I can assure you this quad impresses people. They come running when it is out buzzing around.

Price is $2500 obo. I am in Boise, ID.
I will have more pictures up later.

Thanks!
James
thedeatons@hotmail.com

thedeatons
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Here is a picture of a recent outting. Right after the build. The plastics have since been cut better around the kicker. You can easily kickstart it from the seat. My seven year old kickstarts it with no problems. (Paddle tires NOT included).

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC05243.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC05244.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC05245.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC05246.jpg

thedeatons
08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
By the way, this has an Idaho title, and is registered.

It is titled as a 49cc DRR, and WILL receive a green sticker in California (I know because I had a Cali green sticker on it when we lived there).

Title in hand. Full tank of gas in quad. Ready to go....

James

thedeatons
08-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Wow... I was hoping to at least get some form of response on this by now....

I have no problem entertaining offers guys, just no trades.

I will also purchase the parts for the carb (float needle/gasket), and provide new mini-heim joints in case someone wanted to setup a linkage style shifter.

James

thedeatons
08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Okay... I get the hint. The lowest I can take is $2000, and I am very firm on that. For $2000 you will get everything I listed, plus I will buy the carb parts to fix the float needle.

I can arrange shipping with DreamTime Transportation. Should be about $400 to go anywhere in the USA.

James
thedeatons@hotmail.com

thedeatons
08-15-2009, 11:37 PM
This thread got another 120 hits in the past two days... Is anyone interested, or just looking?

Does the thread need more pictures? I am open for ideas...

Thanks!
James

woodsracer144
08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
nice quad, i have a question is that chassis steel or cromolly?

thedeatons
08-18-2009, 10:09 PM
The DRR chassis is steel, and I gussetted it. There are additional gussets included with the sale in case you feel it needs more.

The swingarm is also steel, with the round tubes being chromoly. I considered using all chromoly for the swingarm, but Brad Loomis suggested I use mostly steel, in order to add a bit of weight to the rear end. The dual a-arm DRRs are a bit front heavy, so moving the radiator back and using a steel swingarm helped even out the weight distribution quite a bit.

Thank you for asking!

James

srxmiller
08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I love this quad, wish you weren't so far away , and I think my boy is young.

thedeatons
08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
LOL... Thank you! I know a shipper, cross country shipping is typically $400 with him....

James

woodsracer144
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
did you tig every thing or use a mig?

thedeatons
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
We MIG'd it, on a very heavy setting. No reason for TIG except for beauty. The welds look spectacular, but if you are super anal can be ground down.

James

thedeatons
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Anyone interested in trading for a DRR DRX2 90? Water cooled, dual a-arm 90 only.....

Let me know....

James

thedeatons
09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Price drop to $1800.... That is about as low as we can get...

James

thedeatons
09-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Well, we have some things coming up in the near future, so I can lower the price a bit more....

$1500

Look at the pics again, think about it, and get in touch with me if you are interested. I hope to have a video on YouTube soon of it running up and down the street...

James

thedeatons
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Bump...

Kinda surprised this hasn't sold yet...

James

thedeatons
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Here is a deal if anyone is interested:

$1500 as is

-OR-

$2000 and I will disassemble the quad, finish the rear brake caliper install, install the footbrake, powdercoat the frame and swingarm any color you want, and fix the float bowl needle in the carb. Then I will reassemble the quad, and have it totally ready, done...

James

thedeatons
09-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Hey in case anyone is worried about the clutch for your little riders, it is a one finger pull... My 7 year old daughter picked it up in a day, very simple.

Another possibility is simply installing a Rekluse clutch, that way it is fully automatic but still retains all 5 gears!

James

thedeatons
09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Well..... good news! The sale is OFF!

Today I installed a Berg Racing Dirt Rooster auto-clutch in the KX60 engine. It works awesome! It works just like a drum brake assembly, but the springs are so light that once the clutch spins fast enough (with throttle) the shoes fly outward and grab the hub, moving the bike forward.

If you let off the gas for a sec you can shift to the next gear, then hit it again and it goes. So, no clutch lever movement required.

The reason I did this is because I really wanted to keep this one after all the work. It is set up soooo well..... So now we are going to sell my youngest daughter's DRR 50 (A/C), and let her ride the big bike with the auto-clutch!!!

James

BradLoomis
09-21-2009, 09:33 PM
That's great to hear James!

All of the work that you put into it, I was sad to see you let it go.

thedeatons
09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Brad.... Hopefully it works out for years to come. If nothing else we have only increased its value...

I suppose we could always throw a 250R engine in it, and I will ride it!!!

James

thedeatons
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
This quad is for sale again... All our quads are going due to financial difficulties...

James

thedeatons
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
In case anyone was questioning how fast this DRR was... Here ya go. Video from today, 11/8/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRkMQQPOxGI

James

thedeatons
11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Bump for a quad still for sale.

I can throw the mini quad Sand Star paddle tires (full set) in for the price of $1500....

James

thedeatons
11-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Sold! Thanks everyone....

skyeryder
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows where this quad is and how the auto clutch set-up worked out???? I'd almost like to build one of these for our District 15 races

Or how to get ahold of James

thedeatons
07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
The quad was sold in Boise, Idaho.

The Berg Auto-Clutch worked great. I rode with it many times up and down the street. They are just difficult to find.

Build one, you will love it, or talk to Brad Loomis and have him build one for you!

James

skyeryder
07-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I sent Brad a pm does anyone have a phone number for him they can pm me thanks

thedeatons
08-07-2010, 05:01 PM
PM Sent!

James