PDA

View Full Version : Shock thoughts and questions. . . .

SPDSNYPR
04-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I'm obviously no expert in any of this otherwise I wouldn't ask all the dumb questions. But I have some thoughts on shock setup that I'd like to run by the masses to see if I'm on track.

I put some 450R shocks on last week or so. The ride is much-improved. I have heard some complain that they are too stiff even on the softest settings. I'm part sasquatch (6-04, 270ish), so they seemed fine to me on the softest settings for riding trails moderately fast (I'm no pro). I seem to be getting a bit less body roll in turns, and the few jumps I've tried on the MC track were much better - none of the really hard bottoming out I had with the 400 shocks.

But I have noticed that the nose sits a little higher. In fact it scared me a bit when I went out and took my first jump (a lot more nose-up than I would have liked). But after a few minutes of riding, all's well.

Now that my front shocks are a bit better, I'm noticing the shortfalls of the rear shock. I know it's nowhere near right for my size and weight.

So I was thinking about first having the rear revalved/resprung for my weight. I thought about the GTT rear link, but don't know if I want to really lower the rear. Seems like a PITA to have to make all the mods so I can end up with less ground clearance. Maybe I misunderstand why losing ground clearance is desireable in XC riding.

I do think after I get that done (re-re rear shock), the GTT dual rate front springs seem like a good place to start. Would bring the front down a bit, would make is more appropriate for my weight.

So am I missing anything? Am I tracking toward the right goal on how this should be set up for just trails and local XC racing club stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Newrider08
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I would not lower the rear being your size might bottom the rear out more if you do.

I am thinking of doing the 450r shock conversion soon orrrrrrrrrrrrr if I can get the extra cash I found some works shocks for 200 or some used elkas with no rezzies for 325 so I might go that route

Wheelie
04-12-2009, 05:59 PM
C&D does revalves on the rear shock. Probably not as good as the GT Thunder setup, but it's less money, no mods required to the exhaust or subframe and it's a big improvement over the stocker.

SPDSNYPR
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I looked on C&D's website and clicking on OEM shock conversions takes me straight to the "Page not found" error. Didn't know how much they charged to get the shock revalved/resprung. Anyone got a ballpark on that?

DMAXX99
04-12-2009, 11:17 PM
idk man but if u get new fronts let me kno if u wanna get rid of them 450 shocks love to have em

hondaking52
04-13-2009, 02:50 AM
i just got quoted $450 for a re/re rear shock from C&D with high flow pistons, and you should be able to lower the ride height of the stock 450r shocks

Wheelie
04-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I paid $250 for the work on my rear shock last February.

brian76708
04-13-2009, 08:28 AM
just to let you know the rear shock is adjustable so you can make it stiffer i would try that first if you haven't already.

SPDSNYPR
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah - I've played with the adjustments quite a bit on the back. I really just think I'm too big for this quad. For some reason, my quad trembles every time I'm about to get on it. :D

I'm sure it's sprung for a much lighter person from the factory.

04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
you don't lose clearance with the gtt link, get all 3 set up for you and be amazed...i'll post a pic in the am of a relinked 450r nex to a stock 450r...

04-14-2009, 07:19 AM
now that i am on a cumputer with a keyboard instead of a ps3...i'll explain

your clearance is at the lowest point of the machine other than the tires. that would be at the bearing carrier part of the swingarm. the lowering effect is above and forward of that position. ride height is measured at the footpegs, with the rider standing on the pegs in "attack" position, and 22"forward from the measured position. this ends up being very near the rear of the rear a-arm mounts if i remember correctly. a good ride height for trails is between 7.5 and 7.75" at the rear. the front should be anywhere from .25 to .75 inches higher...

here is the pic...
the one on the right is the linked one and the one on the left is still stock...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/PBJCP-derisirear.JPG

Young_Gun1
04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
the slight lowering of the quad doesn't really effect ground clearance but it does help with cornering at speed and that is what that link is intended for

brodzowski
04-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I know this is the 400 forum, but that's exACTly what I want to happen with the Raptor. I imagine it would take a lot of the tippiness feeling out of it and plant it better. I need to do some research on this. Thank you for that picture!

.....just checked the site annnnnnnd of course it's not available for the Raptor. /sigh Kinda pricey too at 175.00

04-14-2009, 08:23 AM
young gun...you are very correct...and having had a 400ex with the link, then going to a stock 450r, i felt very tippy until i bought the link and had my rear revalved...

here is a pic of the same 2 bikes from the front...both "stock" except the one on the left has the front shocks revalved and ride height set...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/WXKRP-derisifront2.JPG

akrowdieEX
04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
speedy, are those stock arms? i'm having this done soon

04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
stock arms on both...the only difference is that the one on the right(front view) has 22" front tires where the other one has 21" front tires...both sets of tires are maxxis razr 2s

akrowdieEX
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
ok cool. that looks alot lower than mine.. maybe you can answer my question since it didnt get answered in another thread.

i'll be getting the rear link soon. i have 22in rears right now but i want to go with 20s and my next set. do you think ordering my link to be set up for 20s and riding it for a while with 22s will hurt me at all?

brodzowski
04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
In my non professional opinion I can't see how changing the tire size would affect the action of the suspension. As far as I can figure it's going to react the same if you have 30 inch tires or 10. The only difference would be a little more or less ground clearance. Tire pressure is the only thing I can think of that would affect it. Someone else may have a more scientific answer.

akrowdieEX
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
thats kinda what i'm thinkin too. man i love those big 22s for the way they tear through mud and get me outta trouble.. but theyre too tippy for me i think

04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
rear tire size has something to do with it, i am sure it is leverage ratio and the placement of the fulcrum...but am not sure on this...go to quad zone and as laz as he is the owner of gt thunder

SPDSNYPR
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks, speedy. I just completely misunderstood how the quad's ride was lowered. It doesn't look like it gives up any ground clearance at all. I was just worried because I drag my skid enough now as it is.

04-14-2009, 10:09 PM
you are welcome...if you go that route, you'll be happy...and i hope the pics helped