PDA

View Full Version : Shock Questions - 250R VS 450R

mustangguy6703
04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I have a 87 R and i was wanting some better front shocks and was wanting to know if anybody has put 450 shocks on and how they do compaired to the stock ones and compared to aptermarket also?

rigger
04-12-2009, 12:10 PM
From what I have been told, 450R front shocks on a stock front end will ride very hard and sit higher in the front too. But I have not ridden on them my self. Do a search and you will find a good number of things to read on it.

dynofox
04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I've got a set on my '86 R that has +2 a-arms. I had them valved softer and had softer springs installed and am very pleased with them for the XC type riding I do. I've got less invested in them than I would a pair of cheap works and these are fully adjustable unlike the works. They are 100% better than the junk stock shocks. Here is a pic of them installed, the ride height isn't much different after they were worked over. For anyone looking for a good shock place that is reasonably priced I'd highly suggest www.monsterperf.com, I use them for all my snowmobile shock work as well.

BERT306
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I have yfz450 shocks on mine. They are the same length as stock. The top mount on the shock is too wide to fit the R frame, but that can be solved by having a machine shop mill the mounting thinner or just take a grinder to them at home.

I love mine, they ride pretty nice even with my +3 arms

mustangguy6703
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I heard of doing that to. I want shocks that sit around the stock height and that can take some good flat landing if i have to and that are better then 250R shocks and 400ex shocks.

Honda 250r 001
04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
the 450r front shocks are great. imo. i bought a set with the long travel mod. and they give more travel than some aftermarket shocks. plus full adjustibility, and all you need to do to get high-low speed compression adjustibility all you need to do is buy a different valve.

A good investment imo. They work great but are slightly too stiff on stock a arms. But they will work on them.

rigger
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
For those of you that are running the YFZ450 front shocks, did you have to re-valve and re-spring or were you able to run the stock set up and get a decent ride out of them?

Buttermilk
04-13-2009, 05:10 PM
My YFZ450 shocks were mounted up on my 250R with the stock valving and springs on +2 a-arms. Rides pretty good. Depending on what you are doing as to whether they need to be re-worked.

MossboysRacing
04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Ive posted on this topic a bunch of times. You could probably search the forum and find good info. I run 450r shocks that are converted triple-rate w/zps on +1 A-arms for XC. They handle great as long as you have them set up for your weight and riding style. I personally wouldnt run the stock 450r shocks on stock with a-arms. It rides like a brick, imop

BERT306
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by rigger
For those of you that are running the YFZ450 front shocks, did you have to re-valve and re-spring or were you able to run the stock set up and get a decent ride out of them?

I haven't jumped mine yet but in the woods they feel great. Not harsh at all, but then again i have +3 arms. I'll find out this weekend how they handle some jumps.