PDA

View Full Version : stock swingarm skidplate??

bbender85
04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
i ride only MX tracks and dunes, and i don't have a swingarm skid plate; well i must have landed on a rock cuz i taco'd my brake rotor. is the stock skidplate worth having? or should i go right for an aftermarket one? i rode all last summer with no damage, so it's not like i subject it to an overabundance of abuse.

04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I got one I can sell you, if you are interested. PM me an offer...

ae13291
04-12-2009, 02:15 AM
i put my stock skid through hell, it has some dents, i had to bend out the skid plate because it was rubbing on my rotor, but i think the stock skid is worth having

tri5ron
04-12-2009, 03:11 AM
a skid plate is very much worth having.

no skid plate + hit a rock = buy new sprocket, or rotor, or caliper, or chain...

the stock skid plate is better than no skid plate,
an aftermarket skid is better/stronger than stock.

if you only ride groomed tracks, then the stock should be suffecient,

but as soon as your bike see's the open desert trails, or woods, or XC trails,...
your better off with a stronger one.

on a track, there's always someone close by to help you push it back to the truck,...
that's not always the case when you are out on a trail.

used skids come very cheap on ebay, or the classifieds on this forum.

04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
The problem I have with aluminum skids is they get bent up. They star digging into your rotor and sprocket. Once you bend them back straight, they become weak.... I like the idea of the stock one because you dont have to worry about bending it and tearing your rotor and chain to hell.

KrackerG
04-12-2009, 02:12 PM
i ride mostly on trails, have just the stock swingarm skid plate. when going over rocks and logs, i'd say its a must have. so what are the real benefits of an aftermarket aluminum skidplate? lighter weight? than i'd say that would be a better piece for MX'ing.

btw, ive heard the skidplate scrape quite a few times...dang rocks!

honda400ex2003
04-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I have never had any problems with the tock skid. I would like to get a new one but why it works so good. steve