PDA

View Full Version : Gone and DONE it

Newrider08
04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey guys I told you I would let you know how it goes, I had to work at the MX races today at knobby hill MX park outside st joe so I didnt get home till around 5 so I just got it done.

It took me about 45 minutes to do it and that was even tracking down the right tools and scraping gasket, I followed these instructions.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=349499

This thing made such a big difference, I was surprised at how much difference it actually made, it starts easier, has better throttle response and will straight haul arse. I can pull a wheelie way easier now and it even made the exhaust sound a little deeper for some reason.

I do have one question though, I got the key from sparks and I was told you have to turn the flywheel to the left and it would not move to the left. I can still tell a difference so it worked but I cant figure it out. It said that some of the keys didnt have to turn it to the left but I dont know if mine was the offset kind or not/

Best 30 bucks I have ever spent.

rob_990
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
you would know if it was off set. the top part of the key would be shifted over like it was cut off and put on crooked.

Newrider08
04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
so I should have turned the flywheel to the left? it wouldnt turn any when I tried

Newrider08
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
This is the shape of the Sparks key that I put in it, it set down in there nice and snug and was the lower part was even with the crank just like the instruction said.

I can tell a difference so it must have worked but now im worried I didnt get the whole 6 degrees lol

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2179/78053671.png

Dangerous400EX
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
You have to hold the flywheel to the left as you tighten the nut that presses the flywheel on. When you first put the flywheel on you should be able to feel the slop in the keyway due to the smaller Sparks key.

You have the same pilot and main as I do with the same mods. I love the way my machine runs now and have no desire to mess with the motor any more. I want one thing in my barn that always starts when I need it to.

Newrider08
04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I didnt feel much slop at all actually, hope I got it in there right lol

You guys have me nervous now lol

It starts fine and runs GREAT so I guess its working but im scared that I didnt do it right or something

Newrider08
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
OK I just looked through the directions again and saw what I did right I guess lol

I put the big adjustable wrench on the crank when I was tightening the bolt so that held it to the left to make sure it was not free spinning.

Problem solved lol

I will tell you guys, this is an awesome upgrade for 30 bucks shipped, I read so many posts about this and was skeptical but MAN it works

the funny part is, sparks racing sent me a sticker with the key and I put it on the BOTTOM of my frame lol, I have never been into putting stickers all over my quad and I figure since I ride wheelies so much the frame is what most people see anyway lol

Sorry to have bugged you guys with the questions and if you have not tried the sparks key DO IT.

brothers
04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
where did you order the part from?

Newrider08
04-12-2009, 10:41 AM
from Curtis Sparks Racing

http://www.alwaysopenmall.com/layouts/02/unsecure/item.asp?SiteID=223&DepartmentID=85&CategoryID=949&GroupID=7033&ItemID=31633&StartNum=1&Sort=&ShowPics=0&ListByCode=1&Brand=&GenderAgeGroupID=0&MaxPrice=&SearchString=&ItemCode=&IsOnlyOnSale=0&FromHomePage=0&FromFamily=0&ProductFamilyID=0&RelatedItemID=0