PDA

View Full Version : Front width to rear width ratio

250Renvy
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has any info on the front to rear width setup?

Since most honda quads come narrower in the front than the rear from the factory is it necessary to keep that ratio?

Since I'm not a pro racer will it make a difference on the handling if I widen the front but keep the rear stock?

Also, running a narrow frame with +3 A-arms and 4-1 offset rims keeps me at about 45" wide in front, which is the same as my stock width rear end, will this handle wierd?

Scro
04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Ideally, you want the rear just a bit narrower than the front. This will keep it from being as tippy when cornering.

What kind of quad is the +3 front end going on? If it's a full size quad, it going to put you closer to 50 inches with 4-1 wheels.

ZSNOW
04-12-2009, 02:40 PM
its a laegers narrow frame so plus 3 is like an XC set up.

BlaineKaiser450
04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
my 450r is 50 in front and 49.5 in the rear. It handles perfectly

Jersey450R
04-13-2009, 05:34 AM
the whole wider in the front thing is trendy and fairly new. dustin wimmer started to do that when he got his suzuki and since he was faster, everyone deceided to follow. i personally tried it and it made it way harder to turn. it pushed in the corners something feirce! I talked to someone the other day and he said its mainly a thing to do when you have a blue groove-train track type of track. when it soft and sandy and tight, you want to rear to be a tad wider.

this is the best i can explain it.

Scro
04-13-2009, 07:10 AM
I like to use three-wheelers as an example to explain it. Look at how much wider a three-wheeler is in the rear than in the front. Unmodified, a three-wheeler is extremely tippy in the corners. It's on a much smaller scale on a four-wheeler, but the same physics can be applied.