PDA

View Full Version : no top end

vindell
04-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Recently purchased a 2005 eton 70 2-stroke, ride it with my son.
total weight of around 200 lbs. has good low end, however it seems to lag on the top end. it is all stock, removed the oil injection system. running 93 octane with red line oil at 40;1.
Also when the air box is of, should I be able to see fuel mist coming out of the open end of the carb? are ther any inexpensive mods which I can do myself ? new to the mini quad world, your help wiould be appreciated. Vince

TeamNeilson
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Some eTon's have a few restricters in place from the factory.

The first thing is the CDI. It has a dial on it, you can dial it up to 7 and it will give you a whopping 9500 RPM's to work with.

The second is there is sometimes a restrictor in the exhaust, like a washer (don't confuse the exhaust gasket for the washer. The washer appears to pinch off the exhaust flow) or a dollop of weld right at the head but inside the header.. Remove the washer or grind out the weld and it'll increase the exhaust flow (its a small increase, but its something). You can also remove the spark arrestor.

The third thing they do is put a washer in between the front variator plates. My eTon had it and it stops the variator from collapsing all the way getting up to go up to top speed. Remove the washer for a bit more top end.

These are the things you can do without sinking any money into it. It won't give you much, but it should give you a little. If you want to go all out, well, you can do lots. Where do you want to start? :devil:

Oh, I believe if you run the bike with the airbox off it, you'll run very lean. If you are planning on running it with an open air filter, you should rejet to accommodate the extra air flow. I don't believe you'll see fuel mist coming out of the air intake throat of the carb, but I guess it's possible.

vindell
04-12-2009, 08:56 AM
did compression check, at 80lbs. good or bad

vindell
04-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Someone please, excited about quad, kids first real atv, had chinese prior

TeamNeilson
04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
80 is too low. you'll lack power as the bike is struggling at that compression to draw fuel.

Time to replace the rings, and check to make sure the cylinder walls aren't scored. hone if necessary.