PDA

View Full Version : no top end

vindell
04-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Recently purchased a 2005 eton 70 2-stroke, ride it with my son.
total weight of around 200 lbs. has good low end, however it seems to lag on the top end. it is all stock, removed the oil injection system. running 93 octane with red line oil at 40;1.
Also when the air box is of, should I be able to see fuel mist coming out of the open end of the carb? are ther any inexpensive mods which I can do myself ? new to the mini quad world, your help wiould be appreciated. Vince

dwhst9
04-11-2009, 07:17 AM
IMO the first thing I'd do on a preowned 2stroke is a compression test.

JAG Motosports
04-11-2009, 08:06 AM
The mist out of the carb is normal. You need to check the condition of the rollers and belt. You may not have top end if your not getting full belt travel. Mark the variator to check it.

THARNESS
04-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Not sure about the eton, but alot of minis come with a rev limiter. You should look at your cdi box and see if it has two screws and a metal clip connecting the two. If so , just remove the clip and toss it.

vindell
04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
On the variator, Must I drain trans fluid when i remove the trans cover. have no experience with a cvt trans. I remove the left side cover where the kick starter is correct. check the belt for wear, then mark the variator with marker or something corect. must i put it all back together or can i check it with the cover off. how tight should the belt be ? if this makes sense, please any input would be appreciated

jerkyboy
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
After marking the front variator its best to put the cover back on.
You dont have to put all the bolts back in 3 or 4 is fine. Then
have your son ride it for a few minutes making sure he gets it
wide open during this time and then pull the cover and see
how much marker is left.

vindell
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
ok, did compression test, about 80 psi. ok or not ok ?

vindell
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
by the way, drain fluid ?

EthansDad
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
compression seems low to me. we have an eton 50cc and I just checked the compression today. it was at 150 psi, which is good, but depressing since our race bike the DRR 50 only comes in at 145. a new piston/ring/pin/bearing kit might help the cause.

I also think the airbox on the etons are crap. I might look into putting on a uni filter and rejeting it for that. stage 2 might be to put a pipe and silencer on. I do agree though with most on this post that its all about the CVT and making sure that is spot on. without that, everything else is not worth the time.

EthansDad
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
one more note on CVT...check this howto out. might not make you an expert, but at least clue you in on what folks are talking about.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=190895

EthansDad
04-11-2009, 08:25 PM
and the last rambling thought...best quick check advice I've seen here is to check the CDI or ignition box. not the coil, but the rectangular looking box attached to that - should be around where the headlight/knight rider light is. I think on the '05s it came with a dial from 1-4 on it, or maybe a wire coming in and out of the epoxy, or possibly a metal clip shorting to screw points. in any case, click the dial to 4, cut the wire, or remove the clip and take the 'tard out of spark retardation.

JAG Motosports
04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by vindell
by the way, drain fluid ?
no

vindell
04-12-2009, 04:36 AM
also, when I pulled plug for compression check, noticed its black and wet. the needle on the slide is set middle of the five slots. should i raise or lower the clip. or leave it alone ? thinking of going with a iridium plug also, any input

Nichols Atvs
04-12-2009, 05:45 AM
dont touch the needle clip yet you need to go down on your main jet its to rich .

vindell
04-12-2009, 06:41 AM
where do i go for that, are the jets interchangable. local dealer (honda,etc) when you say down, what do you mean

Nichols Atvs
04-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Need to find what type carb it is so you know what type of jet to get ? The jet has a number on it (Let say its a 105) then you need to go down in the number like 100 this leans out the fuel by giving less fuel more air . You need a couple of new spark plugs as well

vindell
04-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Dropped eton 70 viper at scotts powersports, a local multi bike franchise that is a authorized eton dealer , Thinking of having a stock eton 70 top end kit installed (piston , cylinder, ring's) the kit is gonna cost 170 or so. Plus $200.00 to install. Not sure if you read earlier thread or not, however my compression is low at 80lbs. Quoted $200.00 for the rings only, Do I go with stock or do I go with performance stuff.
in the future would like to get a pipe, some clutch work, and a larger carb. New to this forum, getting alot of great advise, someday I'll be giving the same advice to new members, gotta
love alot of people with advice ! lol. Seriously, thank's for your help