PDA

View Full Version : WSM pistons?? Good or bad?

shok47
04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Im have to get a piston and ring to rebuild a blaster and I plan to get it off ebay. I dont know if WSM is a good brand. Its fairly low compared to Wiesco and others.

04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by shok47
Im have to get a piston and ring to rebuild a blaster and I plan to get it off ebay. I dont know if WSM is a good brand. Its fairly low compared to Wiesco and others.

They're a joke. We had them on my dad's banshee the first rebuild, but had to tear the engine down for other reasons after one ride. All the "teflon coating for reduced friction" was already worn off. And the piston's aren't forged, just cast.

Wiesco is tried and true and pretty much the only brand I would use. The extra money is worth the knowlegde that those pistons will not break.

I heard ProX is decent and much cheaper then wiesco, but I don't have any experience with them.

shok47
04-12-2009, 11:02 AM
what about NaMURA Technologies and Vertex/

04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
what about NaMURA Technologies and Vertex/

Vertex is another cheap brand, and I don't know much about them. If someone had tried them and had something good to say about them, I would maybe try them. But I don't know anyone that's used them.

As far as Namura, they are pretty much the best of the cheap piston's. I've heard good things and bad things. Personally, I think it's the same crap as WSM as far as the coatings and such and is still only a cast piston, but they are one of the better of the cheap ones.

shok47
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
That was great help! Some new deals for full Wiseco Top end rebuild for around $105 total which sounds like a real great deal. Can I determine which bore I will need when i take off the head and look at the piston or should I wait for my digital caliper measure tool?

I hear it should go up by .10 from what is in there now.

04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
That was great help! Some new deals for full Wiseco Top end rebuild for around $105 total which sounds like a real great deal. Can I determine which bore I will need when i take off the head and look at the piston or should I wait for my digital caliper measure tool?

I hear it should go up by .10 from what is in there now.

If the piston in there is wiesco or something it will say it on the top I believe.

Calipers aren't really the most accurate way to tell. You really need bore gauges. But the calipers might work, just wont be quite as accurate. Give it a shot. It'll pretty much give you the right idea.

04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
and yes, .010 is how much you should bore it over:)

jcs003
04-13-2009, 04:21 PM
veto's makes good kits for blasters also.

shok47
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys.

And how many times can the sleeve be honed before its no longer safe to use?? Should there be a mark on the sleeve to determine it?

04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
JCS, there's been more horror stories of vitos pistons then I could count. I would take ProX or Namura anyday over vitos. I think for every good report of them theres five bad lol.

Theres actually a rumor, that ProX pistons are made by wiesco, but I have no clue.

Shok, I'm not sure on the blasters, but I think .100 is the highest you can go. Most people are afraid to go that high because the cylinder wall gets awfully thin, but .080 is usually fine.

jcs003
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
JCS, there's been more horror stories of vitos pistons then I could count. I would take ProX or Namura anyday over vitos. I think for every good report of them theres five bad lol.

Theres actually a rumor, that ProX pistons are made by wiesco, but I have no clue.

Shok, I'm not sure on the blasters, but I think .100 is the highest you can go. Most people are afraid to go that high because the cylinder wall gets awfully thin, but .080 is usually fine.

they were big when i was younger. all the friends that raced blasters when i was young got Veto's kits and they worked ok for them. maybe the quality has dropped. i had a kit in my banshee before i sold it in 1999 and they seemed ok. but i never put them in race conditions. they sell wiseco too so...

shok47
04-18-2009, 01:42 PM
What about winderosa? Not much on the forum about it. Do they make pistons to? my friend said thats a real good one.

Rivieraracing
04-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't chance it, either factory or wiesco pistons, but I would choose wiesco overall, they are proven to last!! It will cost you less in the long run and probably last a lot longer!!

04-18-2009, 08:31 PM
What about winderosa? Not much on the forum about it. Do they make pistons to? my friend said thats a real good one.

noooo. I have never even heard of anything they make at all, so I would never trust their piston.

250r4life
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
and yes, .010 is how much you should bore it over:)

how can you possibly tell him that without looking at the cylinder?

be careful how much stock you put in what you read from dmc-400ex

05-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
how can you possibly tell him that without looking at the cylinder?

be careful how much stock you put in what you read from dmc-400ex

Not what I read my friend. I've had cylinders done many times before and I have a set of bore tools and what have you. .010 is the next bore I always go to if the cylinder isn't scored. My cylinders were even scored and passion got rid of it with .010.

Not trying to start a fight with ya bro. I hate that internet fighting crap. I just try to help people out. Theres no one in this section.

And about the other thread, I said I hate them jokingly. They aint horrible, but I do not prefer them.