PDA

View Full Version : oil in gas!!! help!

pickin_aggie08
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Cousin recently bought a 400ex, and when he got it home, and ran it around, it was full of gas in the oil reservoir when he checked. It is piped, and filtered, with stock jetting, but when he got it to my house i threw in a larger main jet, cause i know the jetting has to be wrong. We are going to set the valves because there is a small "tick" and it sounds like valves. I dont really know what could be causing this. Any response is greatly appreciated.
Eric

drew416ex
04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
The only way I can think of that happening is maybe the float is sticking in the carb. Its letting gas flow into the engine while its not running and filling the case with gas if that is the problem. And on the 400ex, there will always be a small tick in the valves. Its just how they are, but it doesnt hurt to check them any ways.

pickin_aggie08
04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I stripped it apart last night, set the valves, changed the oil, rejetted the carb, etc... Put it all back together, and it did the same thing. Then i got the carb off of my 400ex, put it on his and the oil problem was narrowed down to something in the carb. probably the floats, that is my project for today! But, it has a MAJOR knock coming from the right side. From my knowledge on this stuff, i think it is the cam chain stretched or maybe one of the two bolts that hold the cam. I am going to tear it down i guess, and see what is going on. The knock is wierd though, it will be there one min, then it will go away. you can rev it, or shake it, and it will start back up. Its on and off, on and off.