PDA

View Full Version : Broke a bolt

brothers
04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Was trying to change my oil filter and I broke the damn bolt in it. I think i may have to take it in and get it fixed......:(

brothers
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok here is some more info. I was trying to change the oil filter. After looking everywhere for the right size socket, I put the wrench on it and it pushed it down one time and it came loose. I pulled the bolt out and it was broken half way down the bolt. I called the local motorcycle shop and they told me to bring it in and they may have to drill the rest of the bolt out. they said it would cost 58 dollars. does that seem a bit much? I am new to the fixing of the atvs.

Young_Gun1
04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
what machine are you doing this too?

brothers
04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
2005 Honda 400ex

Young_Gun1
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I stripped out the bolt on the front cover of mine and just put a larger short bolt in so that it grabs the sides of the hole
you might be able to do this too
I think they're price might be way under if its the front bolt cause they would probably split cases to do it since it threads into the middle of the case
back bolt might be about that

yellowhonda400
04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Same thing happened to me i was tighting my oil filter bolt and it broke inside. i tapped my hole and the rest of it came out but you have to run a bigger bolt. you can also find a leff spin drill bit which are hard to come by and just try to spin the bolt since i didnt have that i just had to tapped the hole.

Imbroke
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
what i do when i break a bolt is i drill a small hole in the center of the broken bit and us a easy out to pull it out that way i dont have to tap the hole and then i just have to get a new bolt u just have to be care full that u dont break other things when u are drilling and beating the easy out in