PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning

Riotperformance
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey everyone, I was just curious what the XC/MX/recreational riders do in terms of training for strength and cardio?

Warnerade
04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
ride ride ride.

hen your not riding, run your tail off. When im in the gym I stick to mainly elliptical trainers on a hard level...do a lot of rowwing and stair steppers. I also have machines in my gym that are like climbinh a rope and climbing a ladder...all of those are great cardio machines and have helped a ton overall with my conditioning.

Another thing to try is next time your out riding and taking a break, hop off your bike...grab a set of handle bars and run a lap around the track holding the handle bars out in front of you like your riding.

BlaineKaiser450
04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
run run run!

gcart2
04-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
grab a set of handle bars and run a lap around the track holding the handle bars out in front of you like your riding.

i have seen someone doing this!!! it was the most amusing thing ever. he even made noises lol:blah:

Warnerade
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
i have seen someone doing this!!! it was the most amusing thing ever. he even made noises lol:blah: amusing...but it works like a champ...full riding gear, running up and down the jumps and landings...now thats a workout.

jherbie28
04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
amusing...but it works like a champ...full riding gear, running up and down the jumps and landings...now thats a workout.

yeah but it only works if you make the sounds:devil: and through some freestyle moves in there:p

gcart2
04-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by jherbie28
yeah but it only works if you make the sounds:devil: and through some freestyle moves in there:p

lol i am one of the only one that races out of the back of my truck. lifting my quad into the back after two races is enough of a workout for me. i need to invest in some ramps.

XXX -rider
04-11-2009, 05:50 AM
in this order ..
swim !!..uses every muscle ya got ;) 20 minute sprints!!...,helps build endurance , ...cardio ,& keeps everything flexible

ride a bike !! couple miles a day ..work out for the legs & cardio,endurance ...

hand wrist arm exercises..for strength = control strengthfights fatigue etc

pogo stick-ing, jumping on trampoline ..balance & cardio etc

Riotperformance
04-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Aside from cardiovascular work, what does everyone do for strength? Im asking not for my own workouts, but to become more familiar with what riders do on the average. I just finished my BS in exercise science and I was curious how i could help make the average persons lifting program more beneficial for riding. Thanks for all the input!

Warnerade
04-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I also forgot...jump rope

madskrillz2
04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I bet the whole handlebars thing works. Our baseball coaches used to make us run holding a 2x4 over our head and that would really wear you out.