PDA

View Full Version : shock nitrogen?

python952
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I got a practically brand new set of PEP LT piggyback big bottle front shocks for my 450r. THe guy i bought them from only had them for a month and seth at SF Racing confirmed this. They feel springy. I havent had a chance to ride them yet but it feels like theirs no nitrogen in the shock or something. It feels like all spring. Is there a way to test wether the shock is ok or its all spring? I wanna make sure before racing starts. Thanks!

paul_700
04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
First thing are there external adjustments on these shocks? If so try slowing the rebound. If not are these shocks set up for your weight and riding style? In my experience its rather rare for a shock to just need nitrogen especially if its the whole set and not just one shock. Even of it is just a nitrogen loss I would still definitely take them apart and inspect to make sure all seals and o-rings are good. A few bucks to have them serviced now might be worth the piece of mind once the race season starts. Especially if you have to send them away for service.

Just my 2 cents

number52
04-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by python952
I got a practically brand new set of PEP LT piggyback big bottle front shocks for my 450r. THe guy i bought them from only had them for a month and seth at SF Racing confirmed this. They feel springy. I havent had a chance to ride them yet but it feels like theirs no nitrogen in the shock or something. It feels like all spring. Is there a way to test wether the shock is ok or its all spring? I wanna make sure before racing starts. Thanks!

Yes, take off the springs, push in the shaft and if it doesn't pop right back out then they are out of nitrogen. Very simple. If you hear air inside then they are blown.

EXKid416
04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree with 52, you can get a good feel of whats going on if you take the springs off and work the rod itself. I think those shocks use a floating piston for the nitrogen chamber. The teflon bands on that piston can fail and nitrogen mixes with the oil = pogo stick. We do rebuilds on those at my work. I think its like $90 labor for 2 shocks. Replacing the seal head components would take a couple extra minutes. We can revalve for you too. My email is exrider416@yahoo.com if you need service.

number52
04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by EXKid416
I agree with 52, you can get a good feel of whats going on if you take the springs off and work the rod itself. I think those shocks use a floating piston for the nitrogen chamber. The teflon bands on that piston can fail and nitrogen mixes with the oil = pogo stick. We do rebuilds on those at my work. I think its like $90 labor for 2 shocks. Replacing the seal head components would take a couple extra minutes. We can revalve for you too. My email is exrider416@yahoo.com if you need service.

I beleive those shocks still use Bladders and it's not the teflon bands that fail on floating pistons, it's the O-Ring