PDA

View Full Version : rear brake problems

JeremyKS
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Im having problems with my rear brake. The lever pushes all the way down and has no resistance against it. Is this signs the rear master cylinder has gone bad?

Honda 250r 001
04-10-2009, 11:09 AM
prolly need to add fluid or bleed the system.

JeremyKS
04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Fluid is full and I tried to bleed the brake with no luck. Correct me if Im wrong but if Im pushing down on the lever while I have the line off the caliper fluid should shoot out?

f4istunna
04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Sometimes you have to bleed it a few times to see fluid if air got in there somehow. did it just quit working all of a sudden? After you installed or changed something?

theres a bleeder valve on the caliper, pump the lever several times then hold down, now crack the valve open, close it then release the pedal and repeat as needed. Make sure you add fluid if needed too. Check for any leaks. If the fluid level doesnt go down or you dont seel any fluid spitting out the valve might have to rebuild master or caliper...

05LSR250R
04-11-2009, 09:42 AM
If you dont have a vacuum type brake bleeder then.....I would suggest you buy one! Quad breaks can take forever to bleed the old-fashioned way!

1promodfan
04-11-2009, 10:09 AM
^^^^^what he said!! Althought I did bleed my rear the old fashioned way........it took a little while to get 'em going. I had my brother to help me. Sometimes you may have to adjust the lever going to your pedal. But, when we did it, I let him turn the bleeder screw on the caliper, and I was the one pushing the pedal.

86 Quad R
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
how good are your pads? i've seen times that if the pads are worn a bit(causing the pistons to extend inward) and will allow air to get trapped in there. regardless...... i would try a reverse bleed method. saves lots of time and effort. :cool: