PDA

View Full Version : Where to spend $200?

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I've got a couple hundred bucks to spend on my quad. My only mods so far are nerfs and skids.

Where should I spend my money? I was thinking oversized bars and a clamp... Or a filter, Sparks key and jet kit...

Newrider08
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I would go exhaust man, if you want to jet and stuff that will help but ultimately you need to get that thing breathing and exhaust and filter are the way to go.

After that and your jetting then go for the sparks key

If you look around on ebay you can find a good deal on exhaust and air filter combos sometimes

rob_990
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
yea first get an exhaust,filter,and rejet it.then start thinking about other mods.

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
When I do the exhaust I want to do it right(full system), so I'm afraid I don't have the coin for that right now.

DirtMonkey
04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Keep saving your money, even if it takes a while and get some good suspension. That way when you start performance mods the suspension will handle it and you can get the most out of it.

bigd's ex
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
x2 ^^^^ :macho

jcs003
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
handlebars is the first step in improving handling.

631kfx400
04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
yea deff get some bars. iv have always been using renthal fatbars on the 2 bikes i have now and ive had them on previous ones. after you get bars i would just save the money you have after and get a full exhaust. that will be your best bet ;)

deathcorefan2
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
just save a little more and buy an HMF, you can get good bars for under 100$

so just save up for the biggest stuff first.

buster024
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
First, don't buy a jet kit. Figure out what jets you think you may need, and just buy those. You should be able to narrow your main jet down to one or two choices x $4/each = $8 vs a $40 jet kit.

Second, the Sparks timing key isn't just a $15 investment. To do it right, you'll need a new crankcase cover gasket ($7-10), and probably a starter cover gasket ($4-6), potentially a breaker bar and a couple of el' cheapo adjustable crescent's from Habor freight ($40), and a torque wrench that will get you up to 94 lbs/ft ($19 at harbor freight again).

My recommendation (since we are giving our opinions) would also be bars and grips, a new filter (k&N or Uni) and a cleaning and oiling kit, an Outerwears cover, 2-3 spark plugs, 2-3 cans of oil, and 2-3 oil filters. Maybe after that, you could consider a front sprocket change (that would increase performance for sure depending on your type of riding).

mitchamus
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Why get a full exhaust with a limited budget you probably will not be doing engine work so a full system will not help that much. Just do the Slip on...
then find some used bars in the forsale section.

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Well, I bought a set of Pro Taper Contour CR High bars with a Trailtech clamp, Spider grips and Scott grip glue at Motosport for just under $160 shipped. I think I may pick up a set of UM scoops and call it good, for now.

My next mission will be a full exhaust(probably Sparks), air filter Sparks key and jets... Then I'll save my pennies for a complete HLS Elite shock set-up.

This is going to become an addiction... and add up fast!

jcs003
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
i am an old renthal guy but you cant go wrong with pro-taper. nice start.

matt14c
04-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Have you done any of the free mods yet? Remove your choke, remove air lid? Those will help a little and almost free. I put a couple holes in my air box and in the lid and I had to rejet.

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
Have you done any of the free mods yet? Remove your choke, remove air lid? Those will help a little and almost free. I put a couple holes in my air box and in the lid and I had to rejet.

Not yet. I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't even really had the chance to even ride it, yet. :(

buck440
04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
save it for when it breakes down in a month or two:(

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by buck440
save it for when it breakes down in a month or two:(

I don't think that'll be a concern... and if it is, hopefully the warranty will cover it.

bigd's ex
04-10-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Well, I bought a set of Pro Taper Contour CR High bars with a Trailtech clamp, Spider grips and Scott grip glue at Motosport for just under $160 shipped. I think I may pick up a set of UM scoops and call it good, for now.

My next mission will be a full exhaust(probably Sparks), air filter Sparks key and jets... Then I'll save my pennies for a complete HLS Elite shock set-up.

This is going to become an addiction... and add up fast! [/Q
UOTE]

Hey Beav,
Can't believe it took ya this long to figure out this is an " ADDICTION "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Welcome to the club. :devil:

mitchamus
04-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989

This is going to become an addiction... and add up fast!
I think hls suspension in no more I do know hmf cut there ties with them and now there website is gone

BEAVER.989
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mitchamus
I think hls suspension in no more I do know hmf cut there ties with them and now there website is gone

They're still all over GT Thunder's site...
I wonder what's up?

dirtmerchant42
04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
for the lil amount of stuff you bought it seems too high to me for some reason

ae13291
04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
well i just installed my slip on yesterday and i think it was one of the best mods, it gave it so much more grunt, i felt the differance in only going full throttle once with the same jets, now i will have it completely jetted tomorrow

deathcorefan2
04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
what does removing your choke do?

deathcorefan2
04-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
what does removing your choke do?

bump...please answer.

DMAXX99
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Ight go to motosport.com and look at the modquad precharger its a hell of an increase in power and it comes with a k&n ($99.99) The bike Breathes like CRAZYYY, then go for an exhaust my preference is HMF cheap but loud and it sounds good not stupid lol n HMF slip on...200 bucks but its well worth it In my opinion i wouldnt waste money on shocks until u start racin pro....:ermm: thats a good thousand dollars wasted, and bars hell u already gotta set u dont need those at this exact moment my opinion pipe and filter you will DEFINITLEY NOTCICE THE POWER..