PDA

View Full Version : Precautions before Sparks Key?

Newrider08
04-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey guys I have read the how to page on installing the key but it didnt really tell me if there is anything I need to watch out for or have any of you guys had any problems with 1 certain thing when installing the sparks timing advance key?

Also does it REALLY make that much difference?

bigredisb
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Every machine in our family gets one as long as its running stock compression.
It makes a huge difference for 30 bucks thats for sure. It takes me about an hour. Just make sue you order the new case gasket.
These are about the best directions I have seen for the install.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=349499

Newrider08
04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey thanks, I actually bought a new gasket from the dealer before I got the key lol, I am very cautious about gaskets, I was told I could salvage the one on it but I dont like to take those chances

buster024
04-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe I'm the odd guy out, but my starter cover gasket didn't survive. It sure p*ssed me off to get it all going, and then had to wait another 5 days for the stupid $4 gasket to come in. I'd get that going ahead of time to just in case.

Speedy 400ex
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
i just used RTV in place of the the starter gasket when i painted it and it worked fine so i did it again. I managed to get my cover gasket off with out damage, so i reused it. Works fine.

LOSIMAN
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I just installed one on mine and didn't notice any difference at all, I'm starting to wonder if I messed up when I was tightening the flywheel back on if it moved back to the right and didn't advance the timing. Also is there anybody who is an expert on jetting the carb with these mods,fmf slip-on, choke mod,k&n air filter,sparks key.I got the dynojet kit and where I live in Missouri the elevation is about 1000 feet, so i did as the instructions said and put the needle clip on 3 from top,and put a 170 main, I also did the 42 pilot the air/fuel screw 3 1/2 turns out. I think with all this it ran slower than a blaster, so earlier i changed the needle to 4th spot down and put a 165 main and turned the air/fuel to 3 turns out this seemed to help some but I still don't think it is where it is suppose to be it struggles to pull the front wheels off the ground in first and second gear. oh i almost forgot I did a plug check, took it out ran it full out twice and then took the plug out this was before i changed the main to a 165. The plug was dry with black soot which tells me it is running rich, or has low compression, to my knowledge it has never had any motor work done to it.so anybody have any ideas

Newrider08
04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
take that dynojunk kit out of it, put a factory needle back in it on the 3rd notch, 42 pilot and 160 main. Fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out

does it seem to be running rich or lean?

here is a great read for you

http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_keihin-carburetion-jetting.phtml

Wheelie
04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
The key made a very noticeable difference on my quad. I did have to step up on the main jet after the install though. Went from a 230 to a 240.