PDA

View Full Version : 400ex carb on my 300

Redhotrod
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I am in the middle of trying to jet my 300ex with a 400ex carb,
I just bought the bike, 1997 300ex, it had a dynojet jet kit in the original 300 carb, but it fouled the plug out at WOT. So I figured to keep up with my buddies with 400+ccs I would get a bigger carb at least for mine, My bike does have a full White bros exhaust, and I am running with my air box lid off with a pair of pantyhose overtop of the air box with a K&N filter with outerwear and the motor has been bored out recently, I just don't exactly know how much.
My problem is I cannot get the jetting right. with either carb. I kinda understand the concept, but I guess I cannot exactly tell the difference of a lean or rich condition,seems the plugs are lieing to me.
with the 400 carb, I have the stock pilot(38) air screw 2.25 out and the needle in the 3rd groove down, it idles great, plug looks brand new with it idleing for 5 minutes,
coming up to 3/4 throttle it has a little popping on the top end tried moving the clip up and down but the best I seem to get is at the 4th groove down
I have a handfull of main jets, running with the stock 400ex 148 main jet, it was fouling plugs, not sure if its cuz of not knowing if my needle is wrong or not. I have been playing around with the bike on a stand and in neutral revving it up to check jetting, will this work? or must the bike be under load?
So with the plugs fouling out I got a bunch of jets, the smallest I have is a keihin 135 and have been trying to get the plug right with that, I can't imagine needing a smaller main for the setup I have. Even with the 135 in I still have the same popping (like a rev limiter miss) with the plug turning brown/black
another weird thing is I will even pull the rear air boot off of the carb to help lean it out more and I notice at 1/2 throttle the carb is spitting gas back towards the air filter ?

anyone have any suggestions? I would love to get it running right, heading to the hills of WV in a couple weeks

Tommy Warren
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
all I can suggest is to clean or rebuild the carb. and then just watch the plugs to perfect the jetting. black and sooty means you too rich. white or burnt looking means your too lean, you want the plug to be a golden brown! good luck hope this helps a little

Redhotrod
04-21-2009, 05:17 AM
thats what I ended up doing, turned out using 142 main and the stock #38 pilot, clip is 3rd notch down.

only thing I don't like is one side of the spark plug you can see is getting almost black, looks kinda like someone is spraying the plug with a can of black spray paint on one side, but the other 3/4 of the plug looks like the way it should, tan

Tommy Warren
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
i need to see a pic of that for sure!!:ermm:

markvette
04-22-2009, 10:03 AM
you cant jet a quad sitting on a stand, you need to ride it. it will act totally different being rode with a load on the engine.

Mark

Redhotrod
04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
yeah, it did not like being tuned on the stand, here is a picture of the plug

Redhotrod
04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
sorry, trying to post pic, should be attached

Redhotrod
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
another view

JohnT_98300EX
04-23-2009, 04:39 AM
What does the plug look like down inside the threaded part? Look at the base of the porcelain, you may have to cut the threaded part off.

Tommy Warren
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
does it have the correct gap?

Redhotrod
04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I will have to double check down inside the threads, gap is right on at .028"