PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating

04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Im thinking about picking up an Eastwood Hotcoat powder-coating gun for $80, and I have a few questions for you guys.

Approximately how much powder would I need to do an ATV frame, subframe, a-arms, swing-arm and bumper?

What kind of powder should I get.. there seems to be a LOT to choose from.

Thanks,

Sanddraging28
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
dont know much about them. its easier to leave it to the pros's in my opinion.
you may be able to get away with doing the a-arm,bumper and swing arm. but i am wondering where you will get an oven to bake a frame and subframe.
give it a shot, and let us know how it turns out.

04-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Now that I think about it, I wont powdercoat the frame and subframe, but will do everything else. I hear toaster ovens work fine for small pieces... But what about home ovens? Is that a big no-no?

Any tips/tricks to powdercoating? (ie prep, layers ect)

TCracin440ex
04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
if you have a-arms you cant PC them bc the oven temp needed to cure the powder will melt the rubber ball joint in the stock a-arm. you can rattle can them tho, or depending on the color u want them you can get some truck bedliner stuff and put on the a-arms. you can also go to the advance store and get a can of duplicolor rubberized undercoat that goes on truck frames etc

miller821
04-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Your everyday baking oven will suffice.... You'll want to just use a solid color since this is your first time, no Trans colors or anything... Prep the parts good, sandblast.

jcs003
04-10-2009, 06:34 AM
small parts are pretty inexpensive to get done. most places also have a multi-part discount too. another good idea is to have small parts polished. it can be cheaper than powdercoating.

zzzz400
04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Check wth TMCO powder coating in Lincoln, NE they do a very very good job

bigredisb
04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
I looked into this a long time ago as well and yes the kit looks cheap but you have to have a oven big enough to get a frame in. Home ovens will work but you cant ever cook food in them again. Once its a powdercoat oven always a powdercoat oven.. you also need a sandblast cabinet or outdoor sandblasting system to clean the parts up. Shipping isnt all that bad when you consider the quality and experience of quad parts that Pappy does. His work speaks for itself. Thats where my stuff is going when I gut my 07.

Heres Pappy's site:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=62

Master LTR450
04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 0101
Im thinking about picking up an Eastwood Hotcoat powder-coating gun for $80, and I have a few questions for you guys.

Approximately how much powder would I need to do an ATV frame, subframe, a-arms, swing-arm and bumper?

What kind of powder should I get.. there seems to be a LOT to choose from.

Thanks,

Let me know if your still going to buy one, I was planning on doing the same thing and bought one. It still sits in the box and its brand new. I ended up getting all my parts done professionally. Seems like a good idea though as long as you have an extra oven and some space to put the oven.

04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
now im really not sure what i want to do... and my local store charges $450 for an atv frame (metallic blue)! That seems pretty steep to me...

cam19aro86
04-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I got my frame, subframe, and swingarm done with prep work for $200 at my local shop. They did a great job, I got flat black though. They said if I wanted a color they didn't have then I would just have to pay the shipping for the color. I would search around. I thought about doing the hot coat system myself, but I dont have an oven big enough for a frame. Like the other guy said just leave it to the PRO's.

RoadRage77
04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Do not bake those powder coated parts in your everyday cooking oven.... Your mom gonna kill you. Besides it smelling up the place. Just send the stuff out.. Another thought is to get them Anodized.
And $450 is highway robbery for a frame. 200-250 is avg cost from the places I called. Hopfully you have a close by place, otherwise im sure a frame would cost 40-50 bucks to ship and then have it shiped back.