PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok

06 Honda 450R
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
is it ok if i shift without pullin in the clutch, i dont shift when im like full throttle or anything just low to mid

k265r
04-09-2009, 11:22 PM
it is ok up shifting may take some life out of your transmission.

06 Honda 450R
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
i only do it when i get tired and my hand starts cramping so it shouldnt be so bad

Simon MX49
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
You're riding an 06, DONT DO IT!!!! The 06-09's are known for weak transmissions, I had trouble with mine dropping out of gear when I first got it because I wasn't usin the clutch. After talking to Mark Baldwin, he said if you shift without the clutch it will not click all the way into gear, which means you're gonna be grinding gears and overreving when it drops out of gear.

Marks exact words "Keep your clutch adjusted correctly, shift it progressively, and make sure you pull the clutch in"

BlaineKaiser450
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
its okay every now and then but it will destroy your tranny eventually. I dont see the point in doing this because just pulling the clutch will save u money in the long run

k265r
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 06 Honda 450R
i only do it when i get tired and my hand starts cramping so it shouldnt be so bad

Get a MSR clutch lever if they say its not available for you quad say you want the cr style. keep you cable lubed and the spring clean where your clutch arm goes into the case. with the MSR you will need to get rid of you E brake cable. They also offer one with hot start if you need it.

BrandonV
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
i almost never shift with the clutch..unless im wide open...i just let off and shift..i know its a bad habbit..i've done it with 4 of my motocross bikes and my 400ex and never had tranny problems

Scro
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I use my clutch to start and stop, never when I shift. Even the owners manual says nothing about pulling in the clutch when shifting, just starting and stopping. I've been doing this since 04, on both a 2004 and 2007 with no issues.

Sjorge450R
04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
i am with scro....I got my 05 back in october of 06, put it through 2 full race seasons of XC and I only use the clutch to use the rear brake and to start and stop...

jkiserracing
04-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I know theres alot of diffrence in opinion on this one but I think both sides are right in some degree......ive been riding a long time....and i have always......weather its good or bad......failed to use the clutch in some instances.....usually when my hand starts to tighten up in a race.....so heres what I do.....

try to always use the clutch....but if get tired and do it a time or two.....probably ok...just dont make it a habit for the whole time your riding.....while the quad is in the air on jumps and you need to shift (either way up or down) its probably the best time to do it (if your not using the clutch)...otherwise just try to use it....but as one person mentioned.....take the time to keep it (clutch cable) lubed..or get a diffrent style lever to make it easier for you and make sure your whole bar/control setup is most comfortable to you (by that I mean handlebar bend) and that will help with arm / hand tiredness.

warr72
04-11-2009, 12:43 PM
How about a Rekluse? ;)

Sjorge450R
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by warr72
How about a Rekluse? ;)

I ran a rekluse zstart fro a while. Loved the thing, other than it had some slipping problem(chattering which i was told was normal) other than the constant maintance on it, I removed it. It sitting in my garage....Now the Pro version, I would love to get my hands on one of them.

MikeHenders
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I have asked alot of atv/dirtbike mechanics about this and it is all about how you like to do it. Using or not using the clutch will not effect tranny life. They all said the same thing when I ask how people do damage their tranny's they say its when you do burnout or when your riding and you don't let off the gas they call that hard shifting and its one of the only ways to damage your tranny. They also said people who don't use the clutch when shifting are saving their clutches meaning they will last longer than someone who clutches to shift.

Turboderf
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Simon MX49
You're riding an 06, DONT DO IT!!!! The 06-09's are known for weak transmissions, I had trouble with mine dropping out of gear when I first got it because I wasn't usin the clutch. After talking to Mark Baldwin, he said if you shift without the clutch it will not click all the way into gear, which means you're gonna be grinding gears and overreving when it drops out of gear.

Marks exact words "Keep your clutch adjusted correctly, shift it progressively, and make sure you pull the clutch in"
X2 Dont do it