PDA

View Full Version : oil check bolt... pours oil when removed..HELP

maxamillion
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
OK when i test rode my 400ex after putting in the new motor with fresh bore and piston it fired right up. On the slow test run I noticed it was blowing lots of oil out the crankcase. All of the oil lines and screens are clean and flow freely. I pulled the oil return line while it was running to verify oil is returning to the tank and it is.

So I let the quad idle for 4 minutes then shut it off. Then I removed the oil check bolt under the oil lines on the side case and oil just pours out steadily. So the tranny has to much oil for some reason. And the tank is less than half full I had to stick a zip ty down in there to get an oil measurement. I am positive there is only 1.8 qts of oil in the motor and idono why its not being dispersed evenly.

It doesnt smoke at all out the exhaust the compression seems good I dont think its getting passed the rings. It runs good too.

Im wondering what else could cause the tranny to be holding so much oil. The oil pump seems to be working because it draws oil in and then returns it to the tank through the line. Im stumped.

hypersnyper6947
04-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Im pretty sure your supposed to remove that bolt when its running to check, not when its off

FarmerTed
04-10-2009, 01:21 AM
The owner's manual says:

The engine contains a crankcase oil level check bolt. Remove the bolt and check that the level is flush with the lower edge of the hole. If it is, install and tighten the bolt, start the engine and check the engine oil level. If the crankcase oil level is low, add the recommended engine oil before starting the engine to check the engine oil level.

The manual is kinda goofy in that it tells you in the previous section to run the engine, stop, let it sit for a few mins and then check but here it says to check the crankcase level, run, and check the engine oil level but never tells you to turn it off.

In any case, it doesn't say to check the crankcase level with the engine running.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, just thought it might be useful to post what the manual says.

04-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah its gonna pour out the crankcase if its running and you remove that bolt.

maxamillion
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
thnx. ive been goin by the clymer manual it also tells you to shut it off when removing the check bolt. Mine pours out oil whether the engine is running or not. Can someone check this on their "healthy running" engine?... to see if the oil level is flush with the bottom of the hole.

hypersnyper6947
04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Im pretty sure your supposed to remove that bolt when its running to check, not when its off

oops guess i was wrong my bad

ae13291
04-10-2009, 11:53 PM
i just pour 1.5 liters of oil in the oil fill hole, and i crank the engine for 10 seconds b4 starting it, then i start the engine while giving some gas so the oil pump can pump faster and i shut it off after 10 seconds, then i pour the rest .5 liter and im done.