PDA

View Full Version : Mods For Trails!!!???

honda400-4-ever
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
What Are Some MODS That Would Be Good For A Every Day Rider On Trails/Fields (i want to have POWER!!!) and Having A Good Time On One Of The Best Bikes Out There?

Sanddraging28
04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
i would suggest a 11 to 1 piston and a stage 1 or 2 hotcam and a 450r carb. that would be a real reliable setup that makes decent power

honda400-4-ever
04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
should i bore for the price??

Sanddraging28
04-09-2009, 10:22 PM
since your bike is a 2005 and it might be due for an overbore anyway it wont hurt to go one or two sizes bigger on the piston. i wouldn't go any bigger than a 416.

tri5ron
04-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
What Are Some MODS That Would Be Good For A Every Day Rider On Trails/Fields (i want to have POWER!!!) and Having A Good Time On One Of The Best Bikes Out There? having/making power is only one part of it.
putting it on the ground and being able to use it, is something completly different.

looking at yor sig suggests that you should think more about upgrading you shocks, before doing anything more for power.

the 400ex comes under-suspended for handeling the stock power level already. in other words, it already has too much motor for the stock suspension.

you will ride faster on a 400ex that has a stock engine and upgraded suspension,

than you can ride a different 400ex that has all the engine mods out there, but stll has the stock suspension.

upgrade your shocks first. then go for the motor stuff.
JMO

04-10-2009, 03:08 AM
^ I agree... My motor is stock, but I added +2 arms, axle and shocks and it'll make you alot faster. My buddys on their stock yfz's can't hang with me. That proves you need suspension before motor work.

bigbad400
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
totaly agreed on the suspension, mine still has stock shocks on it and some power adders, i feel like im riding on pogosticks.
next step will def be some good shocks. i would really recomend some skids atleast under the swingarm.

d10ward
04-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Sanddraging28
since your bike is a 2005 and it might be due for an overbore anyway it wont hurt to go one or two sizes bigger on the piston. i wouldn't go any bigger than a 416.

I have been thinking about boring also. Why is it that you wouldn't go any bigger than a 416? I was thinking about a 440.

pickin_aggie08
04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
As i am in the process of putting a 416 in myself, I have read countless forums on what bore to put in them. From what i gathered on all i read, if you have a stock engine and are just looking for some power, it is best to go to a 406 or a 416. Your engine will still be reliable without a lot of extra precautions. You can bore to a 426 on a stock sleeve, but the walls will be pretty thin, and you will really have to watch on overheating. If a 440 is your option, you would have to re-sleeve, and put HD studs in it, or you will blow head gaskets usually, and they run a lot hotter than the smaller bores, which cuts into your reliability factor. It all boils down to how fast you wanna go, and how much reliability you are willing to sacrifice. I chose a 416, it seemed to be an all around good bore for the 400.

400exrider69
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
my 400ex i had did have a 440 kit and it was stock rods and stock studs it was in there a year before i got it and i rode it hard and never had a problem. it had alot of power in the woods 3rd and 4th gear and i could ride a wheelie just going across the feild in 4 th gear for a long ways the sproket on the front was up 2 and the back was up 1
the main reason i sold it is because of the shocks sucked
i'm buying a yfz now but that's just because i plan on racing on a more serious level
but full skids full nerfs and better shocks before i'd touch the motor and dont run a k&n without an outerwearer

04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
stock front shocks are garbage but the stock rear shock is good. Trust me if you spend the time to tune it you can pull away from people that havent adjusted it and have a much better ride. The stock 400ex IMO doesnt have enough giddy up in stock form but a slip on and airfilter will cure that. Stock I couldnt push my shocks to the limits because it couldnt go faster. If I tried smacking whoops even 4th gear it would bog too much and now I always hit them in 4th or 5th, same suspension just more power. Now that it is faster I found the limits for the shocks real easy and have plans to fix that.

krt400ex
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider69
my 400ex i had did have a 440 kit and it was stock rods and stock studs it was in there a year before i got it and i rode it hard and never had a problem. it had alot of power in the woods 3rd and 4th gear and i could ride a wheelie just going across the feild in 4 th gear for a long ways the sproket on the front was up 2 and the back was up 1
the main reason i sold it is because of the shocks sucked
i'm buying a yfz now but that's just because i plan on racing on a more serious level
but full skids full nerfs and better shocks before i'd touch the motor and dont run a k&n without an outerwearer

dont run a k and n period. i ran one and it sucked as far as filtering abilities. it flowed well though but i would rather have a tad more resriction and happier engine than be sucking dirt into my intake

KevinAb
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Just me, but I wouldn't take apart a good running motor to bore it and get more power. If it needed rings or something, I'd say sure, but if it ain't broke... Maybe concentrate on suspension stuff til it needs a rebuild. Just my 2cts.

If you're racing, well thats another story. Just open up your wallet.

honda400-4-ever
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
well im still in high school and i was wondering of i should save up and get elka susp. or spend half for some semi-new 450r shocks on ebay?? on the k&n filter my dads ran a k&n his whole life on his 250r's and never had problems suckng in too much dirt and he rode in sand/mud