PDA

View Full Version : 03 Z400 Electrical Problem, won't start

goss2641
04-09-2009, 08:35 PM
We have a 03 Z400 that was running fine and then started cutting out like it was always on the rev limiter. We took it to the shop and they said that it was the CDI box, so we put on a CDI box and it ran fine for about 3 hours and then started cutting out again.

Also when you would pull the clutch in it would crank.

We have checked all the wires for cuts or and can't find any issues there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ifixtheyride
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Check the nuetral switch. It's located right behind your shifter with 2 screws. Its called the nuetral switch but does much more. In neutral and reverse it completes path for idiot lights but in each gear it completes circuit to the CDI box as well. When mine was bad it drove me nuts because it failed at same time I just done some upgrades and took awhile to troubleshoot. My quad ran great in nuetral and ok in first but then exactly as you said like the rev limiter was being hit I cleaned the contacts and it ran great again . If you have an ohm meter you can just check the continuity between the wires and check it in all gears.

RATPACK Z400
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I had problem with it cutting out and found wire coming up on left side though fender to fuse assembly behind battery had rubbed on fender spilting wire. check wire the wire,s coming though fender might be wore and bare and touching each other or broke in two.And also check coil ground to frame its a nut that get loose did on mine and would cut out it hooks to spark plug wire it a little wire with a small nut in the center of the frame under gas tank hope that helps!