PDA

View Full Version : New boots (Tech 3's) rubbing the plastics

rinaldi
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I just bought a pair of Tech 3's and the first ride I find it rubs against the plastics and really scratches it. The inside top of the boot rubs since it rests against the plastic. What is a good way to prevent the heavy scratches? Is there decals that cover that area or a 3m clear type material?

matt14c
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I went to Murrays and got a tape that you put on the bottom of trucks and cars so rocks dont chip the paint. It was like $12 for a 12ft roll then I just cut it with scissors to follow the flow of the fenders on the backs. Its clear so you wont see it and it sticks really well lasted a year or so then just peel off clean with rubbing alcohol then put a new sheet on. Works great. Cheap too. You could prolly find it at wal-mart or target cheaper maybe. Then you could buy a graphic kit but it too will fade and wear from boots plus there alot more money and not as thick!! You may be able to put this over graphics but when you peel it off im sure the graphics will come with it.

Here is a link to the exact stuff I have but I couldnt find it at murrays site. It was a little cheapers at murrays

http://www.topoftheline.com/paint-chip-protection-tape.html

400exrider20
04-09-2009, 06:53 PM
go to the store by a for sale sign and put it up for sale. come on man do you think wrecking hitting trees mud scratches it yea those boots are just part of the scratches your going to get

rinaldi
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I come from street bikes and cars and I like to keep my things as clean as can be. Simple question since it was or appears to be a normal wear issue. Apparently I am not the only person that was looking for a fix. Move along junior.

Sanddraging28
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
well put rinaldi!!!!:cool: :cool:

400ex28
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Just a normal part of riding, get used to it.

rinaldi
04-10-2009, 04:31 AM
It's funny the kid at the parts dept locally tried telling me to buy better boots. He said for me to step up to a $400 plus boot that has rubber on the upper inside, unlike the Tech 3's leather. I just about had to ask him what he is smokin.

Adrian
04-10-2009, 10:08 AM
why not switch to over the boot pants.... I did! No more scratches.

coryatver
04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 400ex28
Just a normal part of riding, get used to it.

exactly this isn't street. play in dirt and your gonna get dirty. If you want a garage queen don't ride it. Buy another set of side panels to put on for show is the only option i can think of. Over boot pants is a good idea but your still goign to get some scratches

matt14c
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
The guy asked for anyones ideas on how to prevent the problem or what to do to help him. Not your opinion on how you feel about it. Not everyone has the cash to piss away on fenders all the time and they still want there bike to look good!!!!!

rinaldi
04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Matt. Don't know why it is so odd for someone wanting to keep their plastics from getting chewed up. I see pics posted of older rides than mine and they don't seem to have that issue so I figured it was a simple question. Being new to ATV's I didn't know if there was something simple I overlooked.

Found a simple solution and inexpensive. Bought some 3M Clear used for auto applications. Very thick durable clear adhesive for $18. The same material I had put on my wifes car when I bought it new. Two plus years and not one rock chip. Case closed.

dirtmerchant42
04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
at some websites like motosport and i think factory effex or something they sell sheets of clear grippy plastic that you just cut out where you want and put it on and it protects and gives you grip

400ex28
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by dirtmerchant42
at some websites like motosport and i think factory effex or something they sell sheets of clear grippy plastic that you just cut out where you want and put it on and it protects and gives you grip

He might as well just wrap the whole quad up with the stuff.

rinaldi
04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
He might as well just wrap the whole quad up with the stuff.

Not a bad idea son. Maybe that is the route to go. I may also shrinkwrap it before each ride too.