PDA

View Full Version : initial oiling of Uni w/outwears question

rinaldi
04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a new Uni and an Outerwears sock to go over the filter. What is a good gauge for the proper amount of oil to put on filter? Also, what is a good method for insuring it gets evenly coated? In addition to I just oil the outside of the filter or inside as well? I would guess the Outwears will get oily when installed over the Uni.

mooseracerX
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Place the Uni in a zip lock and pour oil in there too and work it around until the filter is completely saturated and then take a rag or something and take off the excess.

NacsMXer
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
Place the Uni in a zip lock and pour oil in there too and work it around until the filter is completely saturated and then take a rag or something and take off the excess.

Yup, this is the easiest/cleanest way to go about it. Get a large zip lock and pour a little oil into it, but not a ton of it. A couple ounces is all you need. Work it around so that it coats the inside of the bag evenly. Put the UNI in the bag and massage/squeeze the filter (lol) until the oil has evenly been absorbed into the filter.

Just oil the outside of the filter. I just put my new Outerwears on my UNI today. This is my first time using one on a foam filter. The elastic ring on the bottom of the Outerwears will get oily the most as you slide it down the oiled filter to get it on. The rest of the Outerwears got a little oily from handling it, but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. There's really no way around getting a little oil on the Outerwears...I don't think it should hurt anything.

rinaldi
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks. I have the Klotz spray on oil for foam filters, but the guy at the atv store said for me to do the same as what you two suggested. Will do tomorrow.

mooseracerX
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah I have that too. With that it is a lot easier just usually spray around the filter and work it in with your hands.

NacsMXer
04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
Oh yeah I have that too. With that it is a lot easier just usually spray around the filter and work it in with your hands.

Same. I have the PJ1 spray on filter oil in addition to the conventional filter oil. With the spray on type just spray it on the filter like you said, then use rubber gloves or a bag to work it in to minimize the mess. That stuff is super tacky! It gets all over like spiderwebs.