PDA

View Full Version : Whats gonna give me the best advantage?

shane071489
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
My suspensions is awesome i have a 08 ltr 450 its real soft and just feels perfect for me i weigh like 150 5'10 when i land like doubles and table tops its smooth as butter ha...i want an exhaust but i really dont wanna dumb out 600 for a full exhaust so i was thinking about an hmf slip on right now...and i dont really see me even gaining a good amount of power out of that i have the cherry bomb already its awesome...whats my next thing i can buy i love jumping starting to ride tracks as much as i can now need some input on what yall have done and what yall think i should do...

awsomeaussies
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Do you have nerf bars? I'd would invest in those if you haven't already. Maybe some better tires also.

atveric132
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
intake

atveric132
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
fuel customs makes great intake for motocross. you can also send throttle body to dasa and get it bored out if you have throttle body

miller821
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Follow the for-sale forums and you can find a dasa or yoshi for $350 at times...

shane071489
04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
yeah i got nerfbars i was gonna put a pic up but it said the image was to big...yeah ive seen some used exhausts but dont know what i would be buying ya know...i dont mind buying used stuff but thats a lot of money to buy something used thats messed up...did you buy your exhaust used? yeah i was kinda leaning on all new tires and rims my tires have great traction so i wasnt sure...the intake i havent looked into it, dont have an aftermarket filter what are you guys running? have any of yall ran a slip on vs a full on a ltr 450 i figured it would be just like new cars the pipes would be mandrel bent so your not gonna gain to much more over a stock head pipe.

shane071489
04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
the fuel customs doesnt make a filter for the ltr 450...are the uni filters any good they are really cheap lol i need a good filter with a pre filter i ride in a lot of nasty conditions esp. when it rains on our trails

atveric132
04-10-2009, 10:18 AM
okay go to fuelatv.com and tell me the dont. i have them on both my bikes.

miller821
04-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Ya I bought my Dasa used and it's fine... Make sure the outsides good, and all you might have to change is the packing...

If your on a budget, You can probably use just a slip-on if you find a good one since the stock header is pretty good.

Warnerade
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by atveric132
fuel customs makes great intake for motocross. you can also send throttle body to dasa and get it bored out if you have throttle body bored out throttle body on a stock motor? your kidding right? lmao Dasa over charges for that anyway.

Shane...your best bet would be some suspension

atveric132
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
im just syain you can. i have carbs on both my bikes

shane071489
04-11-2009, 11:15 AM
i went to fuel customs instead of fuelatv.com...i need a foam filter more than a mesh one everything i ride is real dusty or wet...what route to go now? suspension...believe it or not my suspension fits me perfect ive never rode anything as smooth and comfortable as this fourwheeler is set up...man when i land even if i land really hard its just so smooth i dont see how it could get better...so thats something i really dont wanna change just yet...steering stem ive heard some about that but im not sure...im really leaning to a slip on hmf and a intake and my cherrybomb will still work fine then probally get a set of tires maybe. how does that sound to yall?

suck my pipe
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Hotcams intake cam and K&N or other filter.

shane071489
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
dont wanna mess with the cam put a hot cam in my ltz 400 son of a ***** never quit tapping...ive finally made up my mind im gonna run a hmf slip on with some kind of foam filter and all round hole shots thanks for all the info

KingpinsEx
04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Shane, put the money where it will be the most use to you, a steering stabilizer! You can buy a stick one for about 150 or look on the forums here and pick up a used precision (the best) unit for around 350. That is the single handed best mod you can do to an LTR. I have added fox float air shocks to mine and the stabilizer made more of a differance than those. You do not need to mess with the motor internally, or even get a fuel intake. What everyone is not telling you is if you do that you need a custom fuel injection tuner, so add another 200 bucks to your bill then you gotta worry about finding a mapp. LTR's make great power stock, but if you are looking for alittle more a slip-on will give you about 3 hp. I recommend HMF, Yoshi, or Motoworks, whichever you can get a deal on and a uni filter. I was very impressed with the Motoworks and that or the HMF cannot be beat for the money.

shane071489
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
yeah i really like yoru advice im gonna get the stabilizer...a slip on...i really want a hmf ive had a yoshimura on my 400 and it was nice but ive seen some motorworks and it caught my eye have you ran the motorworks? Im gonna get me some soft compound holeshots too and i think i will be satisfied for awhile

shane071489
04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
motoworks* sorry about that

KingpinsEx
04-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, actually I just installed my motoworks slip-on today and took her for a spin. I was impressed with the power, but not as much as other machines I have ridden. This is due however, too the great stock pipe design. Like I said I have seen dyno sheets putting out about 3 hp more with this exhaust, so you be the judge if its worth it for you. It is quite a bit louder than stock, great sound and seems to pull alot harder with a little more overrev. I'm very happy with it, something different than everyone running the yoshis. I would recommend the other mods first though.

shane071489
04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
yeah i got on motoworks site and looked at the dynos only problem i seen with it is it loses on bottom end and gains on top end i was hoping to gain everywhere haha i always ask for a lot lol

KingpinsEx
04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Shane was that dyno for the full system or slip on? I was told that the slip on actually makes more power all across the powerband. So it really seems like its the most bang for your buck. My slip on pulls much hader than stock, i noticed a bigger gain there than on the top end. Of course if you are looking for more bottom a simple gear change could take care of that issue.

Springbok
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Steering stabiliser (Elka system 3/Presision)without a doubt! I Fitted a Dasa and a Power Commander which cost me about $1300 in South Africa and all I got was 1 - 2 HP! Remove the airbox lid with a normal foam filter and CBomb and leave it as it is! I do offroad racing and I invested in Hiper rims and Maxxis tires-worth every cent

Warnerade
04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
a stabilizer made a bigger difference than a set of fox floats?

oem suzuki shocks feel great?

I must be doing something wrong

KingpinsEx
04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes if you can afford both the shock and stabilizer combo, that will be your best bet. However, if I were to take one over the othr it would def. be the stabilizer. For one they are about 1k cheaper and I don't care what shocks you have, if you are not running a stabilizer you are still gonna get arm pump and have a twitchy front end. For me that inspires more confidence, knowing the bars arent gonna be ripped out of your hands than a plusher ride out on the track... Do what you want, I'm just offering advice, Listen to Warnerade though hes like a pro :rolleyes:

shane071489
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
yeah i believe it was on a full system. Yeah i absolutely love my shocks on a ltr 450 they are supposedly set up for a 160 lb rider from fact i weigh 150 so everything is so smooth. but thats just my opinion and ive never been on one with aftermarket shocks but for right now this stock setup is doing wonders but im def. gonna get that stablilzer, everytime i ride now i look to see how much its shaking my arms and stuff ha

CdaleXtreme
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
You don't seem like a guy that is quite serious enough to dump thousands into suspension, and the 08 shocks are good enough to go around a track.

So from that frame of reference, in order of importance I would say the following:

1. Slip on Exhaust (the head pipe is fine if you don't plan on doing extensive motor work)

2. Steering Stabilizer

3. A good set of tires (if yours are worn)

shane071489
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I like this answer and yeah man im not wanting to dump a couple grand in it haha i got too many other toys even though this is my favorite and a gf that spends it all down to the change. I really want to get in to mx i love riding the tracks and jumping more than anything i just dont see me needing a full race setup suspension not yet atleast. Good job at reading me haha yeah im def. gonna get the stabilizer and the slip on, but what about a air filter is that gonna help me any? I dont wanna run a mesh filter like K&N i ride a lot of wet or dusty stuff, and for me to get the traction i want out of my stock tires im having to run like 3 1/2 psi so thats why i was looking at some better tires like holeshots

Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
You don't seem like a guy that is quite serious enough to dump thousands into suspension, and the 08 shocks are good enough to go around a track.

So from that frame of reference, in order of importance I would say the following:

1. Slip on Exhaust (the head pipe is fine if you don't plan on doing extensive motor work)

2. Steering Stabilizer

3. A good set of tires (if yours are worn)