PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 525 IRS

andrew450r
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Have any of you ever had any problems with them? How are there reliablity?

cj525
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
After a year only ripped one CV boot by a stick coming up into the rear end. No other issues.

ojcool
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
All the polaris components are not stellar. I have had quite a few electrical problems due to poor factory assembly. Everything KTM is fantastic.

OUTLAW525YUP
04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
mines been great except for this recent no start but I may have found a solution

birdman7389
04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Not one issue on my 07, nothing. Same with my Pred 500.

somewon
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
the only long term issue I've had with my 07 was the fan went out and needed to be replaced. i guess that's what happenes when it gets full of mud.

08525IRS
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I have the 2009 Outlaw 525 IRS. It runs fine but like ANY quad your going to buy just check it before every ride.

I tend to believe that things break because screws and bolts come lose and riders don't realize it. I check all my bolts the day before a ride and make sure everything is snug.

Change your oil and filters on time.

Don't ride with a dirty air filter.

Keep tire pressure up

Keep all your joints greased up

Check valves every 20 hours

I wash my bike clean of all dirt the same day after every ride.

The only problem I have had was my starter relay went out with 10 hours on the bike. It was under warranty and was taken care of.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd like to throw my 2-cents in as well.

I was in the market to buy a new quad about 2 months ago. I really liked the Outlaw 525 IRS...the suspension, clearance, power and everything looked super-sweet....but I was a bit leary about leaving the bullet-proof reliability that I've also known Honda for. I suppose you can say I'm a Honda man.

One of my local dealers insisted that I come down to discuss the issue. I'd later find out that Polaris calls their dealers and tries to evaluate what dealers are saying...so he was less then candid over the phone. Here's what I found & figured.

First-off...the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS absolutely is a bad-*** machine: it's a race-ready top-component rocket-ship right from the get-go. You don't need to upgrade the shocks, it has a hydraulic clutch, braided lines and the extra's go on & on. It's a performance machine, no getting around it. If you want to race, then this is your ticket and it's still good for having fun and just trail riding. Solid.

Here's the downside: the candle that burns twice as fast burns-out twice as quickly. They get all they can out of that engine and the dealer highly suggested NOT to own the quad outside of a warranty. He took me into their shop and showed me 2 KTM engines that blew-up, and these were from quads that we just a few months old! I know you guys who own your Polaris's don't want to hear or believe this, but there it is: TWO grenade'd engines. The salesman said "Buy the extended warranty and sell the thing before the warranty runs out". If you want top performance, you have to pay for it. Don't expect great resale, it's sitll a bit of an exotic brand and some of the components and assembly is questionable (as others posted above).

Beyond that, I really didn't like the pscyho-insect intense looks of the plastic fenders...a bit too cartoon-like for me.

In the end, I still wanted a quad that had reverse...so I went with the far more mundane but bullet-proof Honda 400EX. I added some nerf-bars, Elka front shocks, ProArmor front bumper, HMF carbon fiber exhaust, K&N air-filter and some more armor protection under the belly & swingarm. Oh yeah, some hand guards, steering stabilizer and a few other things. In all, it's a GREAT quad and I'm very happy with it. Could I compete in a GNCC event?? Hardly...but it'll be reliable, practical and hold it's value nicely.

Lastly...while I really thought the clearance of the IRS would be great, I really don't mind the straight-axle and actually find a LOT more fun drifting the corners and getting jiggy with it. The IRS tends to dig-in and not drift nearly as easily. The balance and feel of the 400EX is just all too familar and predictable.

I REALLY wanted to pop for the Outlaw 525 IRS....but in the end the decision was based on practicality & reliability, and seeing those 2 blown engines being changed-out really tainted my decision. Unless you love to tinker, need the performance and have a back-up quad, the Outlaw just isn't a very sound choice from my research. At the same time, I'll concede that if I got to ride one up the same 25-mile trail I just rode, I'd probably be blown-away with the power, handling and agility of the Outlaw....so like everything in life, it's about choices......

montycarlo
05-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
I'd like to throw my 2-cents in as well.

Not gonna repost it all..... Look up ^^^ :D

Thanks for your honesty red blooded honda man ;) It's hard to get most honda riders to even look at a polaris much less consider it.

What I've heard about the KTM engine is that you must be very meticulous with your maintenance. Oil must be changed. Oil level must be correct. Valves. Pretty much what 08525IRS said ^^^

I'm no Adam McGill or Duane Johnson, but I do run my Outlaw 450mxr HARD on the XC track, and this thing has held together for over a year. The previous owner is a GNCC Pro-Am rider and he raced it in the first 3 GNCC's last year which I believe was sand & mud races. I've got some overheating/ possible head gasket problems but I have been racing pretty much exclusively in the mud so far this year. :mad:The only reason that I'm going to consider trading is maybe to get on an IRS.

TYLER329
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I would disagree a little on the KTM engine. If you service the motor when the schedule calls for it I have never seen any problems. I probably sold 14-15 Outlaw 525's in both configurations when I was at the Polaris dealer and the only thing I saw was a stripped out oil drain plug and a shattered reverse gear (which the owner openly admited was abuse). I would agree that they are not idiot proof like the 400EX but I would say they are no worse or better than the 450R or the YFZ. I race harescrambles with mine and recently have been victim of a broken valve spring retainer but I will attribute that to me making friends with the rev limiter all of the time. My two cents.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by montycarlo
Thanks for your honesty red blooded honda man ;) It's hard to get most honda riders to even look at a polaris much less consider it.

You don't understand....I REALLY wanted the Outlaw and that sweet IRS rear-end. It was with great disappointment and shattered hopes that I came to terms with what the salesman was showing/telling me. I visually saw the 2 grenaded KTM engines sitting in their service bay and the 2 new boxes of replacement engines.

It makes sense to me...these are high-performance engines and quads. The guy said, these things go like nuts and the performance is amazing...just be prepared for occassional issues and do not own the thing out of a warranty. Well, I bought my XR350 when I was 20 years old and I'm now 44...I keep my toys and all things considered the 400EX was clearly my best choice. It is NOT the same quad or even on the same level as the Outlaw, not even close...but given my weekend trail riding and "I don't want to crash" riding style, it more then suited my needs.

LOL....I own a Ferrari 360 spider, trust me...I more then understand the performance & maintenance thing. Unless you plan to tap your toy for it's performance potential, best to keep things simple & on the low maintenance.

Btw...it had nothing to do with money, he was going to let me buy a new Outlaw, OTD for just $5,800 and I really wanted that hydraulic clutch, IRS, more powerful engine and the notch-above-average name/performance. Practicality won out. And heck, if I really get into it I can always sell the 400EX and jump on an Outlaw....it's only our wives that are hard to change! :D

Rkangel7
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey, I'm also a Honda guy that's been giving some thoughts about a 525irs in the future. I sat on a new '09 IRS and immediately liked the ergonomics and changes they made from the '08. Reliability is important, though and the jury is still out. I wonder how many of the "issues" people have may be directly related to the quality of dealer prep and dealer support. I've been to several dealerships that sell the same brands. I have seen and felt noticeable differences in the way the same model has been set up from one dealer to another. Some have felt really loose, while others feel tight and solid. This isn't just a Polaris thing either. I've seen it at other dealers, too.

Just a thought...

I also tend to take anything a salesman says with a grain of salt. It is odd that a salesman would badmouth a product he is trying to sell. It almost sounds as though he was trying to prime the pump for an extended warranty sale (and commission) in addition to the quad sale, by showing a couple blown engines that could have easily been caused by rider abuse. I guess that kind of backfired on him.:D In the end he didn't get either sale...

ZsPred
05-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I agree^^. Definitely sounds like he was greasing you for the extended warranty. Also sounds like he is trying to get ya as a repeat customer by getting you to trade in the old for a new quad before the extended warranty expires!

Chris

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Hmmm....if you are referring to me, I drove away from that dealership with a 400EX and 90EX (father daughter combo)

I really had my heart set on the Outlaw....I wanted the performance and semi-exotic nature of the beast. I saw the shocks, braided lines, hydraulic clutch, KTM engine.....it's a race-quad, ready to go out of the box. No doubt, it's a bad-*** machine!!!!

I actually spoke with the head mechanic in the service bay, not so much the salesman. Each engine had some kind of internal issue. They really didn't try to disuade me from my decision, they said "This is an amazing quad but understand there's a price you pay for performance and you can expect some temperamental issues, more upkeep & maintenance and other complications that accopany what comes with this sort of performance". Besides the engines they also had a few other mechanic issues here and there....but in all, Polaris makes tight stuff.

LOL....by the time I bought some aftermarket shocks for my 400EX and a pipe, I'd spent about as much as the Outlaw would have cost.

As for the warranty, I'm sure he had a hefty commission in it...but that was the salesman, the mechanic was a good-old boy from the hood and not the least bit sales-oriented.

Life is full of choices....no biggy. Maybe my next quad will be an Outlaw. And as I mentioned, I really like drifting the rear end around turns and getting jiggy with it....not really something an IRS rear-end is about. For me it was the right choice.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 10:15 PM
4 year warranty after the factory warranty expires. I won't deny salesman have their own motives....but I think this guy was really trying to put me into the right quad. He didn't seem to care which way I went, just answered questions and he knew I really wanted to rationalize and run with the Polaris.

Rkangel7
05-23-2009, 10:32 AM
BikeSwimLaugh,

No worries. Having been in sales in the past, I've seen some pretty shady tactics that some guys and dealers will use just to get a sale. Just trying to watch out for my fellow riders. ;)

Glad everything worked out. No doubt the 400ex is as bulletproof as they come. I'm the third owner of a '99 400ex. Still runs great. From a reliability standpoint any future quad I look at will have a tough act to follow. Is the Outlaw that quad? I don't know, but I have to say that my back finds something appealing about IRS.:D

BikeSwimLaugh
05-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I hear ya on all counts....

The salesman (working with the service bay mechanic) could very well have steered me in the direction he wanted me to go. Maybe he was in for a bonus if he moved enough Honda product that month? Maybe there's a bigger mark-up on the close-out 400EX's? Heck, maybe a friend of his got burned by a Polaris and he just doesn't like to move 'em.....LOTS of potential motives under the surface!! I do know they had a lot of Outlaw's sitting there in the warehouse though, so who knows. I do sales work as well....so I hear ya on all counts! :)

Had I bought the Outlaw I'd probably be posting here about how much I love it and how it's all out-of-the-crate ready to race and the IRS is killer and the (all the upgrades I've previously mentioned) are amazing, etc, etc. Hey; everyone wants to think they made the right choice and the best choice. I made my deicisions based on lots of stuff and I think I made the best choice given what I'm looking for.

FWIW, my daughter came with me and we got her a quad too, went with the 90EX. The thing is, we also looked at the Outlaw 90 and it's rated as the best kid's quad on the market. Fully automatic, reverse gear, head-light, horn, wide rear-axle, aggressive rear tires.....a great looking top-rated quad. ONLY problem was that it only has brake levers on the handlebars and, like adult quads, the finger-reach is way too far for my daughter to reach. I had her sit on the quad and I pushed her on level ground...then I asked her to stop the quad. She'd reach for the levers and just couldn't grasp them strong enough to stop the bike on level ground. Cables, no hydraulics. Now imagine her going down a hill and having to control the steering AND hit the brake?? Not gonna happen!

The Honda 90EX does not have reverse, and while it does not have a clutch, you still have to shift it. No headlight, no horn and the rear axle is more narrow and has rounded tires. BUT.....the Honda 90EX has the rear brake actuated on the right foot: all my daughter has to do is touch the brake pedal and she's stopping immediately. Safety first; being able to stop is important. The Honda's rear brake is also hydraulic and that makes it easier, along with being foot-actuated, to operate. Really big oversight on Polaris's part not incorporating a foot-operated brake for the kids quad. Even if we got special bent levers that make the reach easier for her small hands to grab, the cables are still more then a match for a young girls strength to operate, and you really want to leave their hands to do the steering without having to cope with braking at the same time.

Frankly, I think this is Poloaris's issue: GREAT concept, performance and execution....BUT a glitch here and there in the design that creates problems. Maybe yes, maybe no....but Dadda & Daughter went home with matching Black '07 Honda's and for reliability, practicality, resale and what-not...it's hard to beat the Honda.

That said, I'll probably make my Honda a buddy-quad and get myself an Outlaw in a few years...just to see how it is. ;)

cmpearce
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
i have rode and raced a honda quad for 13 years .then i bought a polaris . i have had no more and no less problems with the polaris compared to the honda( even though alot of people said the polaris is junk ) .the guy who started this thread , if you look in his signature already has a honda 450r so he is used to lots of oil changes and maintanance ,which he will have to do on a outlaw( ktm engine ) . oil changes and checking valves are a few of the main keys to keeping high output engines reliable .i get on predatorowners.com alot and there are very few people that have had problems with the ktm engine , but i am sure their are some ...i know some people have said how much more reliable honda 400ex's are but out of 7 people that i personaly know that run 400ex's(moded ) . 5 of them have had engine problems . 400ex while reliable in stock form , is no more reliable once moded than anyother race engine . to compete with the power of a stock outlaw a 400ex engine has to be moded ...check over on www.predatorowners.com . there is alot of info on the outlaw.

offroadrider48
07-15-2010, 01:14 AM
I just bought a 2007 Outlaw 525 IRS, and this thing is a Rocket, But it overheats really bad, and still have no idea what is causing it to overheat as i do ride normal (No racing) and it will overheat in about 10 to 20 minutes.
what really bothers me the most about it overheating? I can not get anyone to help me, except to take it in to the shop and pay them $70.00 dollars an hour:(

sleddog66
07-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Offroadrider. First off, verify that you are really overheating and not just kicking the light on...there have been some early light issues. If you are really getting hot, then I would say pull the radiator and clean it. Many times the radiator appears clean, but on this machine, you really have to pull the rad to do a good job inside the fins. Others have done a bypass mod, and oil cooler to combat some long term heat soaks, but I think your issue sounds like you really have an issue, and not just trying to lower temps 10/15 degrees

Deadmanonduty
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Before you guys get all worried about the KTM engines blowing up, go take a look at www.ktmatvhq.com and search for blown 525 engine......You'll have a hard time finding many. They are having problems with their new "SX" 505 motors, but not the old tried and true 525 RFS motors.

Anyone can blow up a good engine. I'm sure if I drained the oil from a 350 Chevy, it'd blow up, and then the dealer could go on and on about how ALL THE 350 CHEVYS are blowing up now!

The oil changes are tricky on the KTM motors, and very critical, so I'd bet someone messed that up, or even more likely, never changed it.

2 blown motors isn't anything when you compare it to how many have not blown up. I had over 100 hours on my 07 Outlaw 525IRS, and never touched the motor,and it was as strong as the day I bought it. I put a set of front wheel bearings in it, and that was all it needed, so they are decently reliable.

CJCohan
10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Deadmanonduty The oil changes are tricky on the KTM motors, and very critical, so I'd bet someone messed that up, or even more likely, never changed it.

2 blown motors isn't anything when you compare it to how many have not blown up. I had over 100 hours on my 07 Outlaw 525IRS, and never touched the motor,and it was as strong as the day I bought it. I put a set of front wheel bearings in it, and that was all it needed, so they are decently reliable.

I dont find the oil changes to be tricky at all. There's a bit more to do with 2 filters and 2 screens but its not rocket science. Hell the hardest part is figuring out what .7 of a quart is when the bottles not labled LOL.