PDA

View Full Version : Help with new clutch install

hipnotoad
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I just replaced my entire clutch assemply except the clutch center with new OEM Honda parts, and the clutch doesn't want to disengage properly. I hear some sort of rattling coming from inside the clutch cover also. Any suggestions on what the deal is here before I tear back into it? Thanks.

deathman53
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
did you lose the ball bearing into the lifter? Maybe it will be a good time for the 89 upgrade.

hipnotoad
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Well it's funny because when I shift out of neutral, the bike jumps forward, but will stay running if I rev it a bit. Otherwise, it just stalls out. I don't get it because once it jumps forward, the clutch stays engaged and shifts fine. I thought notching in the basket is what usually caused this? Also, it is hard for me to find neutral and I have to rev it a bit again to get it there. What's up with that. And yeah, the ball bearing is there. Thanks.

k265r
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
does your clutch cable have free play? I've seen that ball weld to the rod without free play. did you soak you new fiber plates in oil before you installed them?

hipnotoad
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I soaked the fibers overnight in oil. The cable is brand new, but it seems like I have to adjust it to it's max to get anything out of it. By free play do you mean at the lever?

86 Quad R
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
in most cases, the years of wear on the push rod assembly(including the lever) will cause symtoms as this. i've actually pulled engines apart where a previous owner had attempted to weld the knotch on the lever and re-machine. :rolleyes:

k265r
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by hipnotoad
Yeah, I soaked the fibers overnight in oil. The cable is brand new, but it seems like I have to adjust it to it's max to get anything out of it. By free play do you mean at the lever?

yes there needs to be free play at the lever. i would say take the cover off and inspect. install the 89 upgrade it will save you time down the road. inspect the clutch arm also they pull out of the case easily.

hipnotoad
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I loosened the lever a bit, and it seems to be better. After doing a little riding, the shifting is really smooth, save shifting out of neutral, but from my understanding, this is common. The clutch arm, rod, ball, and lifter are all new, so there is no wear whatsoever. When installing these new components is it a possibility that a little time is needed for everything to settle and smooth themselves out? Anyone else have the little "jump" when shifting out of neutral?

k265r
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
you need to warm up your clutch alittle hold you brakes put it in gear rev it up abit a let your clutch out slowly. the plates are very sticky when they are new. only takes a second to get it warm.